iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Planes Trains and Automobiles - Remake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Planes Trains and Automobiles - Remake
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's happening. Will Smith and Kevin Hart. My first quick reaction was OH NO! I've probably stated on here that I try to always be up for remakes. I don't look at them as replacements but as adding to the fun of the old movies. This one I'm worried about though, because it's one of may favorite movies. I'm also worried because I typically find Will Smith cheesy. Kevin Hart makes me laugh however. I'm going to try and be open for it, but I'm nervous.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm with you, not sure about Will Smith in this role.

Remakes worry me, they are going to find it difficult to match Steve Martin and the late great John Candy.

The youngsters who haven't seen the original may like it but not sure it will reach my exacting standards [Smile]

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would make me laugh if they kept the name Del Griffith for Kevin Hart, who I assume would be in that role. Will he also sell shower curtain rings????
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheHoff is spot on. As far as im concerned these remakes of very good movies should be referred to as retreads. It seems rare that one actually hits the mark.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought more about this and it worries me, what if this opens the door to more remakes of John Hughes Movies. Could we see them doing Ferris Bueller, Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink?
Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So who is capitalizing on john hughes genius? Otger than the actors.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
Aeysha Carr is writing the script, not sure who the director will be.
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, there's still no guarantee it'll actually see the screen in the end, as numerous high profile projects can fall through the cracks before reaching the shooting stage, so who knows if this'll even get made? And if it fails, it'll drop out of people's memories real quick, so I don't think the original has any worries about being upstaged.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

If the leads were james woods and Jeff bridges it might have a chance. Or how about jim carrey in Candys role although he may be reminiscent of his role in the cable guy which would mess it up.
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m not a fan of these remakes lately. I don’t think Will Smith is a good fit. Kevin Hart is funny, and yes he’d be good as Del. I have no idea what their occupations would be.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
They need to keep it as close as possible to the original.

I watched the Footloose remake, the tractor scene was changed to a demolition derby, bad choice in my opinion.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

I an 100% confident hollywood cannot pull it off. They are way out of touch.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home