iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What is your favourite "coming of age" 80s movie?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is your favourite "coming of age" 80s movie?
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been thinking about this but finding it difficult, I have favourite films that were in the coming of age genre but I'm not sure they were the best storyline in this genre, I hope I'm explaining this right? [Smile]

I'm going to continue thinking and maybe watching a few to get a better perspective [Smile]

Thoughts?

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some my favorites that I think fits into this catergory:

The Breakfast club
Can't Buy Me Love
Lucas
Biloxi Blues
Just One Of The Guys
Lean On Me
Vision Quest
Fire With Fire
Bad Boys
Heathers

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna go with the Last American virgin.

A couple others i like would be the outsiders and fast times

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fast Times; Last American Virgin, Pretty in Pink
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've watched a few sinceci posted.

Goonies
Stand By Me
Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller

(Yes, I've got too much free time)

At the moment it's Stand By Me.

Although I loved War Games as a kid and I think it fits.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHoff:

At the moment it's Stand By Me.

Won't argue with Stand By Me [Cool]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
I've just thought of another..

Dead Poets Society.

I have so much more respect for this film as an adult than I did as a child.

Oh Captain my Captain!

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All great movies mentioned here! I’d like to do a rewatch of Dead Poets Society soon.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't post right away because I was thinking this over.

Dead Poets Society was the first movie that came to my mind. I was also thinking about Breakfast Club and Fast Times. I think overall my favorite might be Fast Times, but I still don't know! More time to think this one over!

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's a difference between a "teen movie" and a "coming-of-age" story.. I admit there's a certain overlap between the two,
but they're not necessarily the same. In a proper coming-of-age story the lead characters must experience certain events that makes
them wiser and a bit more mature before the end-credits roll.. could even be adults. For example, The Big Chill, in which most characters
are well in their thirties, still falls into the coming-of-age category, in my opinion.

Some other examples of coming-of-age titles include Rumble Fish (1983) and Fandango (1985), and as a teen / coming-of-age crossover
i'd probably pick Reckless (1984) over The Breakfast Club (1985), but even something like The Company Of Wolves (1984) or Labyrinth (1986)
can easily be considered coming-of-age stories as well.

This, of course, is just one man's opinion..

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
I think most of the suggestions can be classed as coming of age. What I said in the OP about the storyline was about the coming of age storyline against the other genres portrayed in the movie.

There are a lot a of movies in the 80s where the protagnoist(s) have life changing events in different forms and varying degrees.

As you said Mr Roarke its opinions [Smile]

Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have we forgot to mention Risky Business?
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Jakey V:
Have we forgot to mention Risky Business?

I like Risky Business and Tom certainly goes through some defining moments in his life, some good some bad.

Its in the mix but I dont think it trumps some of the others mentioned for the coming of age portion of the storyline.

I will add it to the list of novies to watch and rate again [Smile]

SharonMichael74
Rewind Curious
Member # 37597

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SharonMichael74     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! New here...trying to post a new topic. So I have a super hard challenge. I am trying to recall an 80's movie I loved so much when I was younger...but I can not remember the name...OR...the actors in it. I can tell you the gist of it and am hoping something may ring a bell to someone here that can name it for me.

So...the girl of the movie had REALLY long blonde hair...straight. At one point she had it crimped. (Of course right?! We ARE talking the 80's LOL)
She wore a red mini skirt on the cover of the movie and there were some building I think and a car and maybe a guy with her...maybe another gal....and her boyfriend in the movie was sort of a rough guy who snuck in her bedroom window and she hide it from her family..she would sneak out and run the streets with her friends.... (I know this all sounds like a total common 80's movie) I think one of the other actress's was famous later after this movie...but cant recall who....but the MAIN girl was someone I do not recall the name of. She was kind of a bad ***. LONG blonde hair to her lower back...wore the mini skirt...There were scenes at the school and after school fights...

Anything ring a bell here?
Thanks in advance! I have searched the net over and over hoping to see the movie cover or some connection to the movie...

Posts: 3 | From: SoCAL | Registered: Aug 2020 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharon michael. aTomik replied on this. He suggested it might be TUFF TURF.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharonMichael74
Rewind Curious
Member # 37597

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SharonMichael74     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:

OMG YESSSS that is it! Thank you for getting that for me I will sleep good finally!! LOL jk lol
Posts: 3 | From: SoCAL | Registered: Aug 2020 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by SharonMichael74:
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:

OMG YESSSS that is it! Thank you for getting that for me I will sleep good finally!! LOL jk lol
aTomik is an 80s movie stud.
Michael1976
Rewind Curious
Member # 37602

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Michael1976   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me that's Karate Kid [Smile]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2020 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesMiller61
Rewind Curious
Member # 37603

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JamesMiller61   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure for me [Smile]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2020 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael1976:
For me that's Karate Kid [Smile]

That's a good shout, one of the great movies of the 80s.

If you haven't already watched it try the series Cobra Kai.

TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by JamesMiller61:
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure for me [Smile]

Hadn't thought of this, funny film.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home