iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Don Bluth's best 80s film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don Bluth's best 80s film
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll admit I'm a strong fan of Bluth's work; I think it can fairly be said that he laid the groundwork for the Disney Renaissance with his pictures in the 80s, returning the prospect of lush animation back to the mainstream--and as an adult, you appreciated that he was willing to be dark if the script called for it. Thus, out of:

-The Secret of NIMH
-An American Tail
-The Land Before Time
-All Dogs Go to Heaven

Which would you say was his best film in the decade? It's very close for me, as all have pretty good strengths, but I'd have to go with Tail myself; I think it has the best overall story, coupled with the best group of songs ever made for Bluth's works--of course, it does help that Fievel's adventures don't have at least one scarring nightmarish moment that hung over the other Bluthian pictures for I back in the day (e.g., Charlie's nightmare in Hell, Nicodemus's shocking end, just to name the most traumatizing examples), and the best ending, with him finally getting his family back after all that time waiting.

In a postscript, the word is Bluth's trying to get a Dragon's Lair film off the ground, so let's hope he can succeed in getting it produced for a fitting swansong to his career, ending where it began.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An American Tail was one of my favorite childhood movies. So I've been pretty much idolizing Don Bluth's animation since I first saw it as a kiddie. That being said, it's very hard for me to pick an all-time favorite. But my Top 10 would look something like this:

-The Land Before Time
-An American Tail
-Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (Game)
-The Secret of NIMH
-Anastasia
-Dragon's Lair (Game)
-Titan A.E.
-Rock-a-doodle
-All Dogs Go To Heaven
-Pete's Dragon

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home