iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Paris, Texas (1984)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paris, Texas (1984)
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first saw "Paris, Texas" in a college film course back in the early '90's, and have a been a fan ever since. What a sublime & moving experience; it was especially interesting how a German director could make such a quintessentially American film. Though there isn't much dialogue, the story is compelling & the landscapes are incredible. This is definitely my top Wim Wenders film.

I watched the Criterion Blu-ray for the first time a while back, and was floored - incredibly sharp picture, especially the open landscapes in the beginning. It was like seeing the film for the first time. The colors are amazing, as is the case with many great Blu's: Travis' red baseball hat really stands out as he trudges through the desert; NK's red sweater in the club/window scene is very vivid. Also, the green light in the empty parking lot is very pronounced (as Travis looks up at the hotel room window where Jane & Hunter are reunited).

I also liked how the film showed the diversity of the American landscapes: The wide open TX spaces/blue sky & the desolate tan Mojave desert; the urban, neon-lit landscape of L.A; the concrete canyons of Houston; the various paintings/graffiti on the buildings in L.A. & Houston.

The last scenes of Travis sadly driving away down the night highway while the Ry Cooder score played is one of favorite film endings of all time.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home