iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Krull (1983)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Krull (1983)
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently re-watched Krull for the first time in years. I first saw this film in the 200X's (on the regular DVD). It's a great '80's sci-fi/fantasy flick.

It's sometimes difficult to combine the sci-fi & fantasy genres, but I feel Krull pulled this off well. I liked how the Slayers initially used laser guns, but then when they were fighting in close quarters, they instead used swords.

Also, visually it was interesting how the Slayers were in black armor while outside the fortress, then when they were in the fortress the armor was white.

The Beast was a horrific monster, and it was disorienting trying to figure out how large the character was (he was primarily seen in the shadows, a distance from the other characters).

And, despite the fact that the Slayers & the Beast were "aliens" from another galaxy/planet, they appeared more like fantasy "monsters" than sci-fi aliens, which I'm sure was intentional.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie.

My review is HERE

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great review - Thanks for the link.

I think one of the reasons "Krull" is so underrated these days is the combination of sci-fi/fantasy elements. I thought that aspect was great, but others may have been "confused" by the film because they couldn't figure out which genre it was...

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got to watch Krull and while it was pretty well made, it wasn´t anything mindblowing.

Maybe it´s not fair to expect proper character build up or development in these kind of films but everyone just seemed so bland.
All i can say is Marshall was ultra merry and athletic and Anthony your basic damsel in distress.

Oh, i forgot to say that she was also pretty [Smile]
 -

We get to meet new characters along the way, Neeson and Coltrane among them. Some live to see another day and some die.
The Cyclops even says that now it´s my time to die. Why? It just is... It was almost parody [Big Grin]

The budget was amazing, 50 million back in ´83 was a lot of money. All Pinewood soundstages in full use.
I like the settings, The Widow of the Web was probably the best. I hate spiders and here was a big one.
The Slaughters were cool and i liked their death scenes but the Beast wasn´t at the same level. No real threat there.

All in all, i know that i should´ve seen this back in the day but it didn´t go that way. Krull is a nice little fantasy tale but not among the top films of that era.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing with the Cyclops was that their curse was knowing the time of their own death.

That's not parody, it's actually a pretty chilling thing when you think about it. yeah it's fine knowing that today isn't your day to die, but when it IS your day, how do you handle it?

Like many 80s Swords'n'Sorcery movies, it's easy to dismiss Krull, even though it's by no means the worst of it's genre, and at least tries something different with the whole Black Fortress moving thing.

Now if you really want something bad - Beastmaster takes some beating...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it was one of their "special powers" but just felt funny and no, i wouldn´t like to know my dying day.

And you are right, these kind of films are easy targets and i didn´t mean to bash Krull because i know that it´s not among the worst of it´s kind either.

Beastmaster... soon.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a reasonably entertaining representative of its genre; as many have noted, it's probably in the middle of those similar films among the time period, not quite among the best (Conan), and better than the worst (Beastmaster).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe it´s not fair to expect proper character build up or development in these kind of films but everyone just seemed so bland. All i can say is Marshall was ultra merry and athletic and Anthony your basic damsel in distress.
Urgo the magnificent was great!

"I am Urgo the magnificent; short in stature, tall in power, narrow of purpose and wide of vision!"

quote:
Oh, i forgot to say that she was also pretty [Smile]
Pretty and dubbed. Her natural voice is also lovely, so they didn't need to do it.

quote:
We get to meet new characters along the way, Neeson and Coltrane among them. Some live to see another day and some die.
The Cyclops even says that now it´s my time to die. Why? It just is... It was almost parody [Big Grin]

The budget was amazing, 50 million back in ´83 was a lot of money. All Pinewood soundstages in full use.
I like the settings, The Widow of the Web was probably the best. I hate spiders and here was a big one.
The Slaughters were cool and i liked their death scenes but the Beast wasn´t at the same level. No real threat there.

All in all, i know that i should´ve seen this back in the day but it didn´t go that way. Krull is a nice little fantasy tale but not among the top films of that era.

It was always a well made series of set-pieces threaded together by a story that didn't make sense. I think the guy that wrote it also wrote Supergirl, also a film in which the story made no sense.

quote:
The thing with the Cyclops was that their curse was knowing the time of their own death.

That's not parody, it's actually a pretty chilling thing when you think about it. yeah it's fine knowing that today isn't your day to die, but when it IS your day, how do you handle it?

I was going to say that. It was a nice little sub-plot. Delaying his own death caused him pain too, didn't it?

quote:
Now if you really want something bad - Beastmaster takes some beating...
Beastmaster should always be labelled as 'so bad it's good'! Tanya Roberts was lovely, Marc Singer (runner up 'Mr Movie Body 1982'), and some nice scenes (though the temple was always too small). It's entertaining enough, and let's face it, the scenes with the 'bird' people are very memorable!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goresnet
Master Rewinder
Member # 6592

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for goresnet   Email goresnet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie from my childhood. I absolutely loved the blend of sci-fi and fantasy.

Are there any more movies that fit this specific genre?

Posts: 160 | From: League City, TX | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home