iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2016) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2016)
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

My plan this year is to watch as many "new" movies as possible. I'll also watch the odd classic now and again.

Post away!

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I too want to try and lean toward more of the newer horror flicks this year. But I will also more likely be taking in some classics here & there as well as I always do.

Started things off last night by going to see this one at the Cine..

-

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the new Blair WItch a remake of the original?
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a sequel but much of it just feels like a remake.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started 1st September so I'm gonna put my ratings out of 10 and a few thoughts here.

Curtain (2015) - A girl moves into a flat where everytime she puts a shower curtain up it gets sucked out through the tiles. For a while she treats this as if it was nothing more than a mild irritation and a little unusual and continues to bathe there. A few laughs were had tho and thank goodness it was so short. 3/10

The Masque Of The Red Death (1964) - This gets better everytime I see it! One of Vincent Price's best performances. It looks beautiful and is incredibly moody. I want to go to there! 9/10

The Craft (1996) - In the past I've given this 6's and 7's. But I just really enjoyed the hell out of it this time so 8/10

End of Days (1999) - I think I may have underrated this film, maybe because it wasn't as horrory a horror as I would of liked a Satan film to be. But watching it this time around I thought it was just great and Arnie was so funny at times. And when he was running towards the helicopter I was begging at the screen for him to shout "Get to the chopper". If I had been the director I woulda put it in for a laugh [Razz] 8/10

Critters III (1991) - 6/10

Skinwalkers aka Skinwalker Ranch (2013) - 6/10

Critters IV - 4/10

The Vampire Lovers (1970) - The first of the Hammer Karnstein trilogy. While this is based on another book at times it does feel like a reworking of Dracula, only with a woman instead. The sets, the sets, I want to drown in the sets! Ingrid Pitt is just fantastic and there are some super swell beheadings [Big Grin] 9/10

Up There (2012) - More fantasy but sticking it in anyway. It was a pretty grim take on the afterlife, like before you get up there you have to go through what looks like a period of time of living on the dole, err. Decent but bland in places. 6/10

Dark Feed (2012) - 6/10

The Howling (1981) - 8/10

The Curse Of The Wraydons (1946) - 6/10

The Howling II: ... Your Sister Is A Werewolf (1985) - 3/10

Lust For A Vampire (1971) - The second in the Karnstein trilogy. Apart from a couple of grandiose moments like the opening resurrection scene and an incredible death at the end this one is quite laidback and mellow. I liked it more than last time I watched. 8/10

Terror (1978) - 7/10

Blair Witch (2016) - 5/10

The Slumber Party Massacre (1982) - 6/10

Beware My Brethren (1972) - 7/10

The Howling III: The Marsupials (1987) - 6/10

Cross-Roads (1955) - 7/10

Death Is A Number (1951) - 6/10

Amazing Stories: The Movie (1989) - I think this was just 2 episodes of the TV series bunged together. The first story was directed by Spielberg. It was decent but as Spielberg can do at times it was loaded with cheese. I enjoyed the second story more. A black magic comedy directed by Robert Zemeckis with Christopher Lloyd in fine form. 6/10

Don't Breathe (2016) - 5/10

The Blob (1958) - 7/10

Howling IV: The Original Nightmare (1988) - 3/10

Last Girl Standing (2015) - Nope. 2/10

I, Frankenstein (2014) - These type of action horrors very rarely do it for me. All slo mo walking and fight scenes. And spot the real object amongst all the CGI. Aaron Eckhart still looked fit with all his scars tho. 4/10

Thunder Rock (1942) - A writer becomes a lighthouse keeper where he has some nice chats with his ghosty friends. Michael Redgrave was such a fantastic actor. 7/10

Twins Of Evil (1971) - I used to think this was the second best of the Karnstein trilogy. But watching it again everything just clicked. It's bleedin' perfect! One of Hammers finest vampire films for sure! It just has everything and I always enjoy the rare times when Peter Cushing is playing a bit of a b***ard! 10/10

Howling V: The Rebirth (1989) - 7/10

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't Breathe (2016) - 5/10. You weren't too impressed with it then Helen?

I've not seen it yet but from the critical acclaim it had grabbed my attention but would you you say it was a bit over hyped?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

In 1840, a samurai comes home to find his wife in bed with another man, so he kills them both and then himself. Flash-forward to the present day, and an American family of three moves into this since-abandoned house and starts to experience incidents of haunting and possession. - from IMDb.

I've been a little bit ill prepared for this October horror marathon with me not keeping a check on the date but I have actually watched a horror since the turn of the new month and that is the 1982 horror - The House Where Evil Dwells starring the lovely Susan George along with Edward Albert and Doug McClure this was a lot more enjoyable than how I remembered it being (I first watched it during the late 90s) though it certainly has it fair share of faults with one major one being that it can be unintentionally funny at times especially during a wacky Kung fu/Samurai finale battle between McClure and Albert.

Despite its faults though I did find a lot to like about this one,first it's setting as it's not everyday that you find an American horror film set in Japan and to top this off it's all beautifully shot by ace cinematographer Jacques Haitkin,aside from the setting and all the beautiful location shooting you also have the gorgeous Susan George to look at who spends many a moment here disrobed and caught up in all sorts of sexy - shenanigans with both her husband Edward Albert and her bit on the side in Doug McClure.

So overall a fun early 80s horror which despite sometimes moving at a snail like pace and being a bit overly goofy at times I would still say that the positive 's more than outweighed the negatives with it and that I thought it was worth the watch alone for not only a crazy giant crab scene (the young daughter is attacked by monster sized crabs that even pursue her up a tree) but also some really cool shots of Tokyo city which even back then in 1982 looked like something out of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner movie!

6/10.

https://youtu.be/7600UZaMXsM - The House Where Evil Dwells trailer (1982).

[ 02. October 2016, 16:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Werewolf triple treat last weekend:

An American Werewolf in London (1981) 9/10

Late Phases (2014) 7/10

Teen Wolf (1985) 6/10

AAWiL still very very good. Jenny Agutter looked amazing and you gotta love the sfx. This was of course the first film to earn the Academy Award for Best Makeup.

I remember that YW recommended Late Phases and so did my brother.
And yes, it was highly entertaining horror drama which slowly builds the tension and then unleashes the beasts during the finale.
Nick Damici was amazing and it was awesome to see Lance Guest, Tina Louise, Tom Noonan and Dana Ashbrook among the cast.

I still liked Teen Wolf but i don´t feel it quite earns that 80s super classic status. Sorry TW fans, don´t bite me.
The film has few great moments, fun cast (love Susan Ursitti) and pretty cool soundtrack though.

Old finnish AAWiL poster art

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Don't Breathe (2016) - 5/10. You weren't too impressed with it then Helen?

I've not seen it yet but from the critical acclaim it had grabbed my attention but would you you say it was a bit over hyped?

Well overhyped. I spoke about it a bit in the anything modern horror thread.
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone, what do you think of the original Critters? I own it and still haven't watched! Should I throw that in this scary movie season?
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Critters pretty much rocks. I say go for it!
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yep!
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

1st Oct
Fright Night Part 2
 - /5

"Three years after killing the vampire in the original, Charlie has started to believe it was all his imagination and starts to forget that vampires truly exist - until four strangers lead by Regina, a noted actress, arrives at Peter Vincent's house and starts to have an unhealthy interest in Charlie, Peter and Charlie's new girlfriend Alex. It becomes clear that Regina is Jerry's (the vampire in the original film) sister and she is determined to get revenge on the friends and plans to turn Charlie into a vampire - so that he can face his punishment for all eternity."

Deborah Holland - "Come To Me"

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:

Late Phases (2014) 7/10

I remember that YW recommended Late Phases and so did my brother.
And yes, it was highly entertaining horror drama which slowly builds the tension and then unleashes the beasts during the finale.
Nick Damici was amazing and it was awesome to see Lance Guest, Tina Louise, Tom Noonan and Dana Ashbrook among the cast.

-

Cool that you liked Late Phases Atomik,it is definitely a slow burn what with the majority of the action happening in the final twenty minutes or so but it never bores and it was like a breath of fresh air seeing mostly practical effects in a modern horror over CGI.

Critters is a blast gordogecko as is Fright Night 2 J2ME though for me it falls far short of the original!

gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice resource for this scary move season.

http://www.nerdmuch.com/movies/44596/halloween-horror-movies-tv-october-2016-schedule-top-scary-movies/

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Started October off with:

Prey (2014) - 3/10

Red Eye (2005) - This was more of a thriller from Wes Craven, but it did have slasher elements so I'm sticking it in. Was entertaining but I don't feel it has much rewatchability so 6/10

Howling VI: Freaks (1991) - 8/10

Salem's Lot (2004) - It takes a bit to get going but persevere and you will be treated to oodles of atmosphere, creepiness and tension galore, a great score and a stellar cast with Donald Sutherland providing some light relief. I do prefer the original but this is definitely one of the better remakes out there. Also the part when Floyd was squeezing through that teeny vent in the jail is just downright disturbing! 9/10

The Night Dracula Saved The World (1979) - Fun Halloween short. 7/10

Howling VII: Mystery Woman (1995) - 5/10

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If holiday specials count:

-The Pumpkin That Couldn't Smile (1979): 9/10. One of Chuck Jones's best later specials, the very best use of Raggedy Ann and Andy in media to date, and one of the very best Halloween specials, arguably for me even topping Great Pumpkin. The underlying message of adults remembering what it was like to be kids is nice, the over the top mid show chase is highly entertaining, and the pumpkin himself is loveable in his grief, which makes his eventual happiness over bonding with Ralph that much special

-Halloween is Grinch Night (1977): 7/10. Not as good as the better known Christmas special, and the Grinch does move rather slowly to haunt Whoville, but still pretty good overall, with the entire Spooks Wagon sequence taking the cake for the trippiest moment in a Seuss special

-Boo to You Winnie the Pooh (1996): 8/10. Probably the best of the mid to late 90s Pooh specials, even if by that point the storyline of Piglet learning to be brave had been a bit overdone. Nice running gags of nobody recognizing what Gopher's supposed to be with each costume he puts on (EEYORE (oblivious that gopher's he): You make a nice yak) and repeated destruction of Rabbit's pumpkin patch. The original songs are pretty good in the context of the special as well. All in all it feels like a nice continuation of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and Paul Winchell's absence from Tigger in this one (although Jim Cummings is as always a good replacement) doesn't detract

-The Canterville Ghost (1988): 7/10. A nice introduction to Oscar Wilde's tale for first timers (it was the first version of it I saw as a child when it aired on USA Network in the early 90s). Even though the story is condensed and somewhat sanitized (rather than the ghost having murdered his wife as in the original, here her death was a tragic accident), the overall spirit of the tale remains, and the way it's animated, pseudo-cutout style, gives it a nice creepy atmosphere

-The Devil and Daniel Mouse (1978): 8/10. A nice late 70s style musical update to the Foster tale. The Devil's very well rendered and comes off wonderfully sleazy in his lack of concern for "technicalities" in the fateful contract

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Blood and Black Lace (1964) 7/10

If Bava´s previous giallo The Girl who Knew too Much (1963) toyed brilliantly with light and shadow, this one has colour all over it.
Arrow Films has done marvelous job here because the blu looks fantastic and includes massive extras!

The story is pretty basic whodunnit giallo with beautiful women, killer on the loose and few nasty looking kills.
So, nothing extraordinary storywise but i love the atmophere and the cinematography/settings/lightning department rocks so i´ll definitely recommend this film.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Quarantine II: Terminal (2011) - Bit of fun, will forget about it next week. 6/10

The Reformation Of St Jules (1949) - Alright short ghost story 6/10

Claws (1977) - I have not had quite this much fun with a killer bear film before! What a hoot! Some fun performances, some corny flashbacks and weird dreams with odd stuffed animals. I loved the bear hug killings and the ending was something else. But the highlight for me was when he was attacking a boy scout in his sleeping bag which then cuts to a shot of the boy on a stretcher in the hospital, entire face bandaged with massive blood splodge. I just about died! Haha. A must watch! 7/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Blood And Black Lace sounds cool Atomik and is one I need to check out,i've seen and own the original Quarantine Helen which I think is pretty decent though i've never watched the sequel!

-

Watched again the 1990 Tom Savini remake of Night Of The Living Dead starring Tony Todd, Patricia Tallman and Tom Towles,not bad Zombie horror this which as early 90s horror and remakes in general go i'd say that it's definitely a good 'un!

Fairly restrained in the gore department which considering who's behind the lens is quite surprising though director Savini does manage to strike up a pretty creepy atmosphere at times and overall for what was his Motion Picture directorial debut i'd say he does a bang up job!

Looks and sounds great on Blu Ray (Umbrella Films Australian Release) and is not short on extras either plus better still at the moment it retails at a pretty decent price!

Good stuff and most certainly worth checking out!

https://youtu.be/r0r7L8tS2L0 - Night Of The Living Dead trailer (1990)

[ 06. October 2016, 09:01: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Critters is a blast gordogecko as is Fright Night 2 J2ME though for me it falls far short of the original!

- It's not a patch on the first, but It's still a fun watch.

Fright Night would be even better with Traci Lind, though..  -

2nd-5th Oct:  -

-

"A horror film about a screenwriter who loses the ability to distinguish between his fantasy world and the real world, with disastrous consequences. As he ruminates on his place in any world and loses his grip, he also loses his wife and his children's respect, and critics tear him apart. The final undoing of this screenwriter is a deadline that must be met at all costs, costs that perhaps are too great."

6th Oct
Deadline (1984)
 - /5

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Just finished watching:

-

"When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive."

A fun British/Irish monster flick.

Grabbers
 - /5

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Russell Quinn, a criminal defense counsel and his emotionally fragile wife, Abby, are anxiously awaiting childbirth; Abby has vivid, haunting dreams. Disasters begin to occur around the world; some call it "end of days." Abbey feels called upon to stop the sixth disaster but she is too late. As the final disaster looms, will Abbey have hope sufficient to save mankind? - from IMDb

Cool and underrated 1988 apocalyptic horror thriller with a great cast including Demi Moore,Michael Biehn and Jurgen Prochnow.

Superbly directed by Hungarian director Carl Shultz and features an awesome Jack Nitzsche music score as well - https://youtu.be/OvDOH9wz-Y0

Highly recommended and Demi Moore sure did look easy on the eyes back in the late 80s when this was filmed!

https://youtu.be/1yxCT_gSky0 - The Seventh Sign trailer (1988).

[ 08. October 2016, 18:23: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

After being hypnotized by his sister in law, a man begins seeing haunting visions of a girl's ghost and a mystery begins to unfold around him - from IMDb.

Great little horror mystery from 1999 starring Kevin Bacon which I do actually prefer (though i am probably one of the few) to the similarly themed The Sixth Sense which was released in the same year.

Featuring neat scares,a gripping plot plus some great performances especially from Kevin Bacon in the lead make Stir Of Echoes overall a very entertaining watch!

8/10

https://youtu.be/kVBF2jaf9ec - Stir Of Echoes trailer (1999).

[ 09. October 2016, 16:18: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Interesting films, i have to rewatch The Seventh Sign. I really need some easy Demi Moore on my eyes [Wink]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home