iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80s movies based on true story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80s movies based on true story
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kev said that we need more action here and that´s just the right spirit.

What i want to know is, which 80s films based on real events are the best or most memorable to you guys?

I would recommend the 1988 film In the Line of Duty: The F.B.I. Murders.
For more info check out the Rewind thread here: http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/10436.html#000000

Also, just bought this 1987 film The Abduction of Kari Swenson which i´m going to watch soon. Anyone seen it?

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Return Of The Living Dead ? [Razz]

-

I mean, there must be a reason why they put that text card at the beginning of the movie.. right ? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and Cannibal Holocaust is your basic sunday morning wild life documentary [Wink]
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your point. [Big Grin]

Okay, how about this one :

-

The Killing Fields (1984)

There's no denying this is one of the most powerful- , perhaps even THE most powerful movie
based on true events that came out in the 1980s !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Good call! Seen Killing Fields only once but remember that it was a really emotional trip.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Star 80 is a really memorable 80s movie (1983) that is based on true events,I've had it in my collection for some time now but have only actually watched it the once,this is not because it's a bad movie or anything as it's a great one its just that it makes for such uncomfortable viewing and it ends on such a bleak and tragic note that you come away from it feeling a bit shell shocked!

[ 02. March 2016, 11:04: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:

Also, just bought this 1987 film The Abduction of Kari Swenson which i´m going to watch soon. Anyone seen it?

-

No never seen that one atomik,it made me think of this one the previous years abducted (below)from 1986 which is also based on a true story,remember seeing this in the video shops back in the day but never got around to watching it!

-

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, i stumbled to Abducted while i was looking for some Kari Swenson info.
I don´t think that they released Abducted here but interesting film nevertheless.

Aaah Star 80, still don´t have it.
I´ve seen it on sale couple of times but it´s one of those old Warner tapes which seem to be buried deep nowadays.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun topic. Haven't heard of Abducted but just bought Star80 this week.

I have always liked Eight Men Out. That's all I thought of for now. Will try to think of others and post them

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for getting the ball rolling aTomiK!

Most memorable for me is MASK (1985). I've seen this movie a dozen of times (fairly recently as well) and it never disappoints.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

A masterpiece...

Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often wondered whatever happened to Tom Hulce's career, every time I see Dominic and Eugene. He seemed to have a good steady career in the 80 s, then the rest of his parts seem sporadic. Does he do a lot of theater?
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Pittsburghgirl Yeah, I think voice over work and theater was more his thing. Also never got the sense that he enjoyed fame and notoriety.

[ 02. March 2016, 20:38: Message edited by: Peter Lemonjello ]

Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I need to check out Mask, Amadeus is indeed a masterpiece.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one kevdug. Mask was excellent. I haven't seen Amadeus
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
I've often wondered whatever happened to Tom Hulce's career, every time I see Dominic and Eugene. He seemed to have a good steady career in the 80 s, then the rest of his parts seem sporadic. Does he do a lot of theater?

He did voice Quasimodo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, so he's at least earned immortality that way.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Dominik and Eugene,never seen that one before, it's got a cool cast and the trailer looks good, I wouldn't mind checking that one out!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I bet Liotta is getting mad at least once in the film [Big Grin]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Gallipoli that's another great one that based on true events,superbly directed by Peter weir and with strong performances from both Mel gibson and mark lee.

A Terrific movie!

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
According to the sleeve of the recently released UK combopack of Nicolas Roeg's Eureka (1983),
the movie is "based on the real unsolved murder case of gold prospector and philanthropist Sir Harry Oakes".

I wonder how much fact there is to the voodoo orgy scene though. [Big Grin]

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mask (1985), is one that always stands out for me. Such a brilliant movie. Well acted, well cast, great effects. Overall, brilliant movie.
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like both Mask and Eureka a lot. Mask is very well made, and Eureka too, if fairly nutty in spots.

[Smile]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home