iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Pretty Smart (1987)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pretty Smart (1987)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"In this adolescent-oriented drama, a young woman is forced to attend a posh finishing school in the Mediterranean.
She vents her anger by rebelling against the cruel and sicko headmaster. When she discovers that he has been secretly photographing them naked
and profiting from the pictures, she rallies the other girls and gets revenge." (IMDb)

Rewatched Pretty Smart last night. It was directed by Dimitri Logothesis who did the subpar horror flick Slaughterhouse Rock.

The film stars Tricia Leigh Fisher, Patricia Arquette, Lisa Lörient, Dennis Cole, Julie K. Smith and Joely Fisher.
Tricia is super energetic and i love her outfits and hairstyles. She also performs the upbeat title track.
Patricia gives a good performance in her first movie role. She did Elm Street 3 also in ´87.

There´s lots of nudity here, especially Smith can´t keep her clothes on [Big Grin]
We can see few class sequences but most of the time it´s just girls having fun and fooling around.
Basically this is pure old school teen comedy but the fact that the headmaster watches the girls at night gives a certain sleazy feel.

Good music, great fashion, cute girls and sunny greek landscapes. Check it out!

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This is the exact version of the DVD I have (above).

Yeah I like - pretty smart,I actually own 2 DVDs of it one of which I purchased ages ago and another that I purchased recently, I picked up a second copy because I was under the impression it might be one that has been deleted and was going to ebay it but I was a bit wrong with my presumption and it turns out that it was only worth about the same amount as what I paid for it - never mind!

Not watched it in a while so I'll grab it off my shelf soon for another viewing but yeah I definitely recollect enjoying it and I absolutely adore Patricia arquette.

[ 20. February 2016, 13:51: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of this one...but definitely has my attention. That's what I love about the site...just when I think there's no more 80's movies I haven't heard of...bam...you guys list some hidden gems. Will have to track this one down....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I quite like this comic book art from what i believe is the original us vhs.

Yeah i'd say it's worth Checking out kevdug as it's pretty good fun plus it features an early performance from the lovely Patricia arquette!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, that´s a fun cover art.

My UK dvd has slightly different art than the one in your post, warrior.
I also have finnish vhs tape which has the poster art including the man with binoculars.

Never heard Tricia´s 1990 album or the single "Empty Beach".

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vaguely recall this only being so-so. I might have to watch it again. That 'breast-to-breast' image is very familiar though...
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Don't think I've ever come across that track either atomik,I've read quite a few negative reviews about it over the years Logan so it's definitely not to everyone's liking but I enjoy it and it's certainly a long way from being anywhere near the worse of this genre and I'd say a lot more preferable to something like the similarly themed Greek shot - hardbodies 2.

-

The us one sheet poster,both Fisher and arquette look great!

[ 18. June 2016, 10:34: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a good look at another arquette, watch The Wrong Man
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
As long as it's not david! [Big Grin]

[ 22. February 2016, 13:58: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Never seen this one before terd,it looks pretty cool,rosanna like her younger sister always looks great and i consider both to be decent actresses, John Lithgow stars as well, I'd definitely like to check this one out!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny Warrior. No Dave in that one. It might be on DVD now. It was hard to find in recent years on vhs.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to check both of these out. I'm a fan of both sisters...not the standard drop dead beautiful, in my opinion, but both have a unique look that makes them beautiful.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At some point i took Pretty Smart home from the vdeostore.. must have been around '88 or '89.

I have fond memories of watching it ! [Big Grin]

I never knew it was released on dvd though.. I need to pay more attention, i guess. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I bet you liked it, Johnny [Big Grin]

More Rosanna fan myself when it comes to Arquette girls and i love the Toto tune [Smile]

Believe that i have The Wrong Man tape somewhere, i need to investigate and watch the film.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a downloaded copy of Pretty Smart on dvd-r..

Shhh, don't tell anyone ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to see some interest in this film finally!I own it on VHS, but haven't seen it in a while. Thinking of a DV upgrade if the price is right. It was pretty cool first watching it seeing Patricia Arquette in one of her first roles. Is it just me or was this similar to Princess Academy?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Pretty much, yes. http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/9238.html#000000
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Quite surprisingly, Pretty Smart makes its HD debut this month thanks to the folks at Scorpion Releasing !

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home