iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Journey of Natty Gann (1985)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Journey of Natty Gann (1985)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Natty Gann is a twelve year old Depression era girl whose single-parent father leaves her behind
in Chicago while he goes to Washington State to look for work in the timber industry.
Natty runs away from the guardian she was left with to follow Dad.
She befriends and is befriended by a wolf that has been abused in dog fights,
hops a freight train west, and is presumed dead when her wallet is found after the train crashes.
Dad gets bitter and endangers himself in his new job.
Meanwhile Natty has a series of adventures and mis- adventures in various farmhouses,
police stations, hobo camps, reform schools, and boxcars." (IMDb)

This was a very good Disney adventure film directed by Jeremy Kagan and written by Jeanne Rosenberg
(one of the screenplay-writers also for The Black Stallion and White Fang)

Meredith Salenger is awesome in her breakthrough role as Natty Gann.
I would love to see another Disney film My Town she did right after this one.

I´ve always liked Ray Wise and he gives a good performance as Natty´s father.
John Cusack is good too but his role isn´t really that big.
Lainie Kazan and Scatman Crothers are solid co-stars.

I also have to give some credit to the wolf-dog Jed.
He was the "dog-thing" in John Carpenter´s The Thing and later the title animal in White Fang.

I loved the British Columbia, Canada locations and the authentic look the movie has.
Recommended!

Finnish VHS cover art
 -

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice write up. Great movie. One of the best 80's Disney movies for sure.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
unregistered

24 Updates!

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this movie in fourth grade in school on the last day of class and loved it. Nice description.
| Site Updates: 24 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking of john Cusack this is one movie with which he appears in (only briefly by the sounds of it) that I would like to check out at some point.

I have had it added to my online rental list for I'd say a couple of year but it's seems to be one of these titles that never gets sent through.

I will get round to watching it someday!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that you can get Natty Gann because it really is a nice film.
Btw, i got the My Town vhs tape starring Meredith Salenger some time ago.
The tape also includes another Disney film Casebusters starring Pat Hingle and Noah Hathaway. Directed by none other than Wes Craven!
I´ll have to check those out at some point.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you reckon it will be like a Disney version of last house on the left [Big Grin]
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well i wish [Big Grin] but i haven´t got such high hopes. Probably basic Disney kiddie stuff but it could be fun nevertheless [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home