iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Best Post Apocalyptic 80’s Film or Animation (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Best Post Apocalyptic 80’s Film or Animation
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roddy Piper or Rowdy Roddy Peeper? [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjE1vFwYvfE

[ 04. April 2013, 08:12: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got to watch Hell comes to Frogtown, it is a must for me.

Lomax you don't like Mad Max, or the Running Man? Man, I thought everyone liked those films.
Granted The Road Warrior was better than the original but, "The Knight Rider, that was his name"

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Hell Comes to Frogtown, one of the great movie titles of all time, and about as much trashy fun as you could have in the wee hours. (The title itself is definitely right up there with Drag Me to Hell, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies, and Don't Torture a Duckling, but not quite as brilliant as Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key.) The USA Network in the States ran it constantly throughout the late 80's and 90's. I'd come home in the wee hours of Saturday or Sunday morning, pour myself a drink, and, sure enough, there it would be like an old friend. Those were the days! [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Gannon:
Got to watch Hell comes to Frogtown, it is a must for me.

Lomax you don't like Mad Max, or the Running Man? Man, I thought everyone liked those films.
Granted The Road Warrior was better than the original but, "The Knight Rider, that was his name"

I can't stand them. I am not a super critic I just think the movies are terrible.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Road Warrior?
Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
I love Hell Comes to Frogtown, one of the great movie titles of all time, and about as much trashy fun as you could have in the wee hours. (The title itself is definitely right up there with Drag Me to Hell, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies, and Don't Torture a Duckling, but not quite as brilliant as Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key.) The USA Network in the States ran it constantly throughout the late 80's and 90's. I'd come home in the wee hours of Saturday or Sunday morning, pour myself a drink, and, sure enough, there it would be like an old friend. Those were the days! [Smile]

Speaking of great titles for films Somthing Wicked this way come sounded really cool, then I watched it and thought it wasn't bad, but nowhere near as good as I built it up to be in my mind.
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Endgame (1983)

Directorial credits go out to Steven Benson, another alias for Italian director Joe D'Amato
who shot this one back-to-back with 2020 Texas Gladiators.
Among the acting credits is a Moira Chen, who is none other than Black Emanuelle herself : Laura Gemser !

Trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy1MXJJ1_ck

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Two astronauts return to earth ("a few miles off the coast of Los Angeles") to find that it has been destroyed by nuclear war.
L.A. has been taken over by Cutter and his gang of outlaw bikers (straight out of the 70s with bell bottoms and everything).
Cutter rapes and pillages. Of course, there are also mutants.
The astronauts hook-up with the only normal people left: two good-looking women, and two cute little children; a boy and a girl." (IMDb)

Watched The Aftermath (1982) yesterday.
A very low-budget film written, directed and produced by Steve Barkett.
Barkett also stars in the film with Lynne Margulies, Sid Haigh, Christopher Barkett Jim Danforth and Forrest J. Ackerman.

I watched a movie called Def-Con 4 earlier and they definitely stole the idea for that film from The Aftermath.

The Aftermath is pretty hilarious at times but somehow it feels very honest.
The sfx look cheap but you can see few nice "LA in ruins" matte paintings.

The musical score was just like straight from an adventure film and created a strange atmosphere.
Not a must see by any means, only for true PA aficionados.

The Aftermath movie trailer

This was called Zombie Aftermath in UK and i have this UK VHS tape
 -

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
Johnny Roarke That poster is wicked cool
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
Zombie Aftermath sounds like one I'll have to check out.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
Have you guys not seen the original Mad Max from 79?

I know as an Aussie I should love this film but I think it's garbage.

You know you can get expelled here for saying such things, right ?! [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Gannon:
What about the Road Warrior?

Good point. I can't even remember it hardly. I will watch it and get back.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
OK, my mate has it and we are gonna sit down and watch it in about half an hour. And on a school night too. Good God, 31 and still at uni. I put Van Wilder to Shame.

I am looking forward to it but I just dunno if my opinion will be positive. Film is the same as art. You either like it or you don't. It's not supposed to offend anyone if you don't like it. It's just what makes us different. We all appreciate different things, and if we didn't the human race would have been wiped out years ago. I really hope I do like it though.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Apparently a whole bunch of classic post-apocalypse movies has been uploaded on Youtube. Check it out :

She (1982) : www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c25mtS7xmg (seems to be a good quality version)

2020 Texas Gladiators (1982) : www.youtube.com/watch?v=398dTdNzYDA

Wheels Of Fire (1985) : www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94QMT0fnNU

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Warrior of the Lost World (1983) couple of weeks ago and loved it!
Director/writer David Worth said that he was hired, shipped to Italy, and told to begin work on the film.... before he ever had a script.
He was reportedly shown a poster for the film and told to make a film that would go with it. 80s filmmaking at it´s best [Big Grin]

Robert Ginty sleepwalks and mumbles through the film and talks to his bike. Gotta love it! See the evil Omega organisation with their leader Prossor (Donald Pleasence).
Useless Fred Williamson, Scott Coffey as a nerd soldier and Daniel "Warbus" Stephen as a karate fighter. See the Utopia Club and MEGAWEAPON!
So much fun, this movie needs an instant blu-ray treatment!

Robert Ginty and his talking bike Einstein
 -

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Hey, at some point, back in '86 or '87, i actually took that one home with me from the video-store.
Never seen it since, but i still have a xerox-copy of the sleeve. (i used to do that a lot with rental-tapes back then)

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
What a wise thing to do. Where did you take the copies? Surely you didn´t own a copy machine back then. B/W or in colour?
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
At the postal-office.. seriously ! [Big Grin]

It was about 50 meters from where i lived (and still live by the way.. although the postal-office is long gone).
I knew people were regularly going there to let them make a xerox-copy of their drivers license,
a bank-statement or whatever.. so what's the difference i figured. I took out the sleeves of the video's
i rented, and i went over there to let them make a copy of it. And i have to say, they were always
very helpful (or maybe they just didn't want to disappoint a kid, who knows..).
Unfortunately they were all in black & white.. but hey, back then it was the best i could do i guess.
I still have dozens of them.. never threw them away. [Smile]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
It´s definitely better than nothing. Colour copies must have cost a fortune back in those days.
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hell comes to Frogtown" was a great PA film; very cheesy in many respects - which I'm sure was intentional.
Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to come back from the bars on Friday and Saturday nights in the late 80s, and invariably the late, great USA Network show Night Flight was running Hell Comes to Frogtown, surely one of the best movie titles of all time. Since I always saw it at about 2:00 a.m., it was pretty entertaining. I'm not sure how it would play when the sun is out.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Wheels Of Fire (1985), Equalizer 2000 (1987), The Sisterhood (1988), and Dune Warriors (1991)
will be released on dvd, january 3rd !

Previously released on limited, hard-to-get blu-rays from the Code Red label, the dvd versions,
containing the same HD transfers, are distributed through Kino Lorber and will be widely available !

And, as previously mentioned, Kino Lorber will also release Stryker (1983) on the same date !

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home