iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Trancers (1985)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trancers (1985)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Jack Deth is a kind of cop/bounty hunter in the bleak Los Angeles of the future.
He's become obssessed with chasing Whistler - an evil criminal who uses powerful hypnotic powers
to convert people into zombie like creatures known as trancers.
Whistler has managed to escape through time travel and is loose in 1980s L.A. but Deth is on his trail."
(IMDb)

Trancers is a fun low-budget action flick directed by Charles Band
and starring Tim Thomerson, Helen Hunt, Michael Stefani, Art LaFleur and Telma Hopkins.

Thomerson was ultracool as Jack "I want to watch Peter Gunn" Deth
and Helen Hunt was cute and lovable as his lover/partner Leena.

I liked how the future L.A. "Angel City" looked but obviously this was a low-budget film
so they couldn´t show more of it.

Some of the sequences are amazing, like the scene including children watching while Deth kills the trancer santa.
Pure Cannon film mentality [Big Grin]

Thomerson had some cool cadgets, especially the "long second" wrist watch rocked.
We don´t need Matrix, we already have Trancers.

It´s a short film, about 76 minutes, but i like it this way.

Trancers has six direct to video sequels.
I´m going to watch part II next but don´t have the others.

Trancers trailer

Alternate poster
 -

VHS cover art
 -

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say it with me now...

"Jack Deth is back... and he's never been here before!"

Classic video rental stuff. Cannon, EV - gold!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knew you'd like it. It's a small gem. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this in my accumulation as well. It is a real pick.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the great Tim Thomerson's brilliant stand-up version of the movie Stagecoach, a few years before he became Jack Deth. Enjoy.

Tim Thomerson stand-up

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On an '80's movie kick, so recently re-watched Trancers for the first time in about 20 years - the last time I saw this was on VHS tape.

Great low-budget sci-fi film; it reminded me somewhat of the first "Terminator" movie, but was still very original. I liked the storyline & minimal effects. Time travel movies are sometimes confusing, but this was fairly good - i.e., it made a weird sort of sense to have Tim Thomerson's distant ancestor (in 1985 L.A.) look exactly like him, but with a different hair color - LOL. The sequences when the regular people turned into "creatures" (i.e., the Santa Claus, the tanning salon owner, etc.) was somewhat well-done, in a low budget way. Also cool to see a very young & hot Helen Hunt!

I will say that the transfer I saw sucked; I got the DVD out of the library & it must have been an older one. It was widescreen, but seemed to be a VHS rip - extremely poor picture quality. I'll have to look for a better copy of the film at some point.

I also want to see the numerous sequels, but will try to watch them in order.

[ 12. November 2016, 20:22: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UK Blu Ray from 88 films that I own Nostalgic is region free and sports a pretty decent picture transfer plus unlike the American Blu release from Full Moon Features it also has lossless HD audio so it sounds great as well!

Really fun low budget sci-fi fi flick though I have never checked out any of the many sequels but I well expect that they don't live up to the original!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this earlier in the year. I found it really confusing at first but then got into it and had a good giggle with it. Maybe one of the cheesiest things I've seen, in a good way. Felt more like a TV ep than a film at times.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deffo a low budget charmer that's for sure. But back before multi-channel TV an unlimited 'stuff' this was a nice little rental.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
The UK Blu Ray from 88 films that I own Nostalgic is region free and sports a pretty decent picture transfer plus unlike the American Blu release from Full Moon Features it also has lossless HD audio so it sounds great as well!

Really fun low budget sci-fi fi flick though I have never checked out any of the many sequels but I well expect that they don't live up to the original!

Thanks - very good to know.
Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home