iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80's B-movie actress Lana Clarkson, R.I.P.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80's B-movie actress Lana Clarkson, R.I.P.
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of you probably have already heard this. But if you haven't, here it is...

My comments are afterwards:
POLICE: PHIL SPECTOR, VICTIM ONLY MET NIGHT BEFORE DEATH
Clarkson Was B-Movie Cult Figure

POSTED: 9:39 a.m. EST February 5, 2003
UPDATED: 10:27 a.m. EST February 5, 2003

More details emerged Tuesday in the shooting of actress Lana Clarkson, found dead in the mansion of music mogul Phil Spector early Monday.

Spector, 62, and Clarkson, 40, met at a Los Angeles nightclub the night before the murder, said Craig Harvey of the Los Angeles County coroner's office. No other details were available.

Spector is free on a $1 million bond after police arrested him for investigation of murder.

According to The Associated Press, Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Dan Rosenberg said deputies found the weapon used in the murder, but refused to reveal where in the house it was found.

Clarkson's body was found in the foyer of Spector's mansion just before dawn Monday, after police responded to reports of gunfire.

While Clarkson appeared in bit parts in such mainstream movies as "Amazon Women on the Moon," "Scarface" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," she earned a cult-star status for her roles in B-movies.

Among them were five films noted low-budget movie producer Roger Corman, including "Barbarian Queen" -- which Corman considered a model for television's "Xena: Warrior Princess."

In a statement Tuesday, Corman said: "Lana was a beautiful woman, a wonderful actress, and an adventurous spirit. Always brave, she performed all of her own stunts, and showed unusual fortitude and athleticism in her horseback riding and fight sequences."

Nearly six feet tall, Clarkson said on her Website ( http://www.livingdollproductions.com ), that she was inspired by Marilyn Monroe and modeled herself after the late bombshell.

Clarkson frequently appeared at fan conventions because of her cult-movie status, and had guest roles on over 50 television shows including "Who's the Boss," "Night Court" and "Wings." She also appeared in television commercials.

Friends and associates of Clarkson told AP that she began working last month at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip as a ticket collector and hostess.

"She wasn't thrilled to have people from the industry see her doing that, but she thought it was a good step to get back into the mainstream," her neighbor, Paul Pietrewicz told AP. "It wasn't exactly what she wanted to do, but she thought she could meet the right person."

Spector's attorney -- former O.J. Simpson "Dream Team" member Robert Shapiro -- refused to comment to AP about the case. Spector's next court appearance is set for March 3.

Spector revolutionized music in the 1960s with his "Wall of Sound," a multilayered mix of orchestral instruments that accompanied his artist's recordings.

Several musical legends had worked with Spector, including Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Righteous Brothers, Ike and Tina Turner, and the Ronettes.

Spector married to the Ronettes' lead singer, Ronnie Bennett, 1968, and their tumultuous marriage ended in 1974.

Condolences to Lana's family.

As a big fan of Phil Spector's music production work, I'm really saddened and bummed out over this mess. The article didn't mention about his one album that he made in 1980, "End Of The Century" with The Ramones.

About two years ago, the Internet Movie Databse (us.imdb.com) reported that Tom Cruise was going to play Spector in a movie based on his life, and to be directed by Cameron Crowe (of Say Anything, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Vanilla Sky, Almost Famous, and others). But it looks like it won't happen now.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was stunned when the news showed that she was Mr. Vargas' wife in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just updated my "Amazon Women On The Moon" page with information about Clarkson's death.

I don't know what to think right now. On the one hand, should I continue enjoying Spector's production work? Or should I abandon his material?

It's tough...hey, I still think O.J is guilty.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...the Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RockSteadyFlamethrower wrote, in part:
quote:
I don't know what to think right now. On the one hand, should I continue enjoying Spector's production work? Or should I abandon his material?

I would hold off any judgement. Yes, Spector has long had a reputation for acting really strange, but so far, I don't see any reports whether he did this intentionally or not. If not, whether the gun was accidently discharged. Even if it was, Spector could be held for negligence and manslaughter.

We will have to wait until the trial begins. And considering Spector hired Robert Shapiro (one of O.J's attorneys), the trial could be most interesting.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home