iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Red Dawn (1984)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Red Dawn (1984)
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen it.. and I snagged it because I thought Arnold Schwarzenegger was in it for some reason haha.

I read through the RD threads that were posted before and I thought since the remake is now complete, I should check this one out.

Btw, the remake will star Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights), and Josh Hutcherson (Hunger Games).

-

As it's been stated before, but the 1984 cast looks pretty boss.

Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen and.. Jennifer Grey?

-

Didn't know Grey and Swayze were in another movie prior to Dirty Dancing, which I have always hated on those two for their awful chemistry in DD,...the main reason why I don't feel the love for it the way a lot of other people do.

Not sure when the remake will be released but for now I am gonna give this 80s version a shot. I have read mixed reviews so we shall see!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Red Dawn" had an excellent cast. I've always thought the premise of movie was outstanding, but for some reason it isn't a fav. And I've seen it at least 20 times because it seemed to play alot on the movie channels in the 80's. I will say it has been awhile since I last watched it though.

Always thought it was cool that Swayze and Grey were actually in this movie before "Dirty Dancing".

The beginning of the film is actually my favorite part. I can imagine that happening at my high school and how my friends and I would have reacted.

-

"Wolverines!!"

Ronnie .. I'm definitely up for the remake. [Smile]

Fantastic cast pics!

[ 30. July 2012, 19:54: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many people didn't like this movie but I certainly did. I saw it in the theater when it was released. With the Cold War going on at the time the premise seemed plausible to me then. I watch it regularly. My DVD is a double feature with Navy Seals. =)
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the remake's sure been a long time in the making,i know they had to do a lot of reshoots and alterations when they changed the enemy from being the chinese to the north korean's - http://youtu.be/0JubSM4BVaE

-

[ 31. July 2012, 05:26: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where´s John Milius when you need him [Smile]

Red Dawn is an interesting movie.
It is one of the last films that got banned here during the Cold War
because Soviet Union nicely told our government not to show it [Big Grin]
It was released in the 80s on VHS though.

I think that i´m also gonna watch it again soon.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
the opening credits with basil poledouris's awesome music score is so damn cool.

there's no two doubts about it the cast of the remake doesn't come close to the original line up.

-
don't get me wrong chris hemsworth is great but he's no patrick swayze.

i was the first person down at my local video shop to rent this out when it first came out back sometime in 84,my mum and i turned up just as they got there weekly delivery of new releases in and the woman behind the counter pointed this one out to us and we thought we'd give it a go,pleased we did.

i do remember getting home and telling my dad it's about a group of kids taking on the russian army and seeing the expression on his face.

a great movie.

-

[ 31. July 2012, 11:11: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to the BluRay even though I watched it in HD on TV not too long ago.

There was a nice homage to Red Dawn in Call of Duty MW2 with the "Wolverines" campaign. You unlock the achievement "Red Dawn" for completing it on hard/veteran.

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love how everyone's post has something interesting to add.. so cool. Great pics.

I don't recall even seeing one snip of this movie on cable. But lately, I am finding that the less I know about a movie, the more I seem to enjoy it.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
But lately, I am finding that the less I know about a movie, the more I seem to enjoy it.

I had the same feeling when I saw "The New Kids" which I'd never heard of until last year. I ended up watching a string of Lori Loughlin movies after that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Goonies on steroids.
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it, and surprisingly, my Mother really liked it too. I remember us watching it on vhs back somewhere around 1985.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

I watched it. I didn't think it was gonna be that intense? Haha.. Judging from the cast, I assumed something different, so I was surprised at how dramatic it was. That might sound silly considering what the movie is all about ha.
I am not sure if it's the subject of the movie that turned people off or the fact that it keeps a certain tense tone throughout the movie? But then again, survival mode isn't supposed to be amusing.

I liked it, but I couldn't watch it over and over.
It really gets going from the beginning!

Perhaps if I had seen in it around the time it came out, it would have made a different impact on me, but seeing it almost 30 years later and having seen these actors in tons of other movies, might be a good reason why I wasn't completely sucked in.

And to think, it's been remade... I'm curious about the remake for sure.

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Red Dawn" was very intense when I first saw this back in the '80's as a teen. At that time, the cold war was very much at the forefront of everyone's mind - as was the threat of nuclear war.

So, an invasion of the U.S. by enemy soldiers/communists actually didn't seem that far-fetched - at least not to me at the time, considering I was just a kid.

I re-watched it again recently and realized how far-fetched the premise was. However, it was still a very disturbing film.

And, the more recent RD re-make wasn't nearly as good as the original film.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard on the radio today that Red Dawn was the first film to be realeased in the theatre with a PG-13 rating. Not sure if that's been said on the Rewind before or not, but thought it was a pretty cool fact.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaseyBear
Rewind Curious
Member # 37792

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for KaseyBear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
 -
the opening credits with basil poledouris's awesome music score is so damn cool.

there's no two doubts about it the cast of the remake doesn't come close to the original line up.

-
don't get me wrong chris hemsworth is great but he's no patrick swayze.

i was the first person down at my local video shop to rent this out when it first came out back sometime in 84,my mum and i turned up just as they got there weekly delivery of new releases in and the woman behind the employee monitoring counter pointed this one out to us and we thought we'd give it a go,pleased we did.

i do remember getting home and telling my dad it's about a group of kids taking on the russian army and seeing the expression on his face.

a great movie.

-

KPACHbIN PACCBET!!!!!
But for real, remake was very bad. Especially because they changed soviet army to north koreans

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2021 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:
Just heard on the radio today that Red Dawn was the first film to be realeased in the theatre with a PG-13 rating. Not sure if that's been said on the Rewind before or not, but thought it was a pretty cool fact.

I did not know that! Thanks!
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home