iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » BATMAN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BATMAN
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actor and director duo Michael Keaton & Tim Burton were riding high after the success of Beetlejuice, and Batfans the world over were hyped beyond the call of duty for this, the first of many, Batman films.

-

Batman lived up to the hype. Keaton was superb, Jack Nicholson almost stole the show with his take on The Joker, and Burton had done something that hadn't quite been done as well to date: He'd taken a comic book franchise and adapted it straight off the bat (no pun intended). In that he wasn't following a particular Batman storyline and nor did he make it camp or OTT. In fact, Batman went back to creator Kane's vision and proved that a superhero movie could be done as a neo-noir (which is what Batman is IMO).

-

I like how every director decides how the adapt certain points from the comics, mixing and matching them to suit the type of movie they’re making. In Batman we see that The Joker’s origin is inspired in part by Alan Moore's Killing Joke and The Red Hood back story in Aparo and Wein's The Untold Legends of Batman.

-
 -
 -
 -

Batman set the benchmark for the superhero movie revival and despite some stumbles along the way, is still a template on how to do justice to the iconic comic-book character on screen.

-

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool Post, I agree as well. Nicholson's interpretation of the Joker was spot on to the character with Mark Hamil's being the only rival. (Heath Ledger’s didn’t have enough humor, just seemed more like a Victor Szasz type) Nicholson plays up the whole full of himself gangster who is only hanging on by a string to begin with, but is not all out crazy from the word go. His craziness only comes out a little when he’s riled, by Lt. Edcart, and a lot after his transformation. Also all of his dastardly deeds are funny to him, and that’s why he does it. (As opposed to some sort of power struggle about good and evil) he’s more refined and brilliant in an evil kind of way.

Michael Keaton plays Batman and Bruce Wayne the way I think they should be played Bruce Wayne is not an over the top, dark brooding kind of guy. In parties he’s more charming and out going. Batman is not a over the top deep voice but more of a Man With No Name type of sound, giving me the impression that Batman doesn’t need to yell, actions speak louder than words.

I read not long back that Burton based his Gotham off the black and white film Metropolis having recently seen some visuals from it I can see the similarities. I like all the factories spurting steam and gargoyle architecture of the city. The Matt Paintings look great, better than digital.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is one of my all time favorite movies, i became a fan of batman after seeing this.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we are gonna ship them out a whole new door!

(laughs manaically, swings fist through air)

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Joker: And now, folks, it's time for "Who do you trust!" Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money! Who do you trust? Me? I'm giving away free money. And where is the Batman? HE'S AT HOME WASHING HIS TIGHTS!

So who do you think played these characters best and who should play them next time around?

BATMAN

1. Adam West
2. Michael Keaton
3. Val Kilmer
4. Christian Bale
5. Robert Lowery
6. George Clooney

THE NEXT BATMAN SHOULD BE: Mark Strong

ROBIN

Burt Ward IS Robin, then and forevermore

THE NEXT ROBIN SHOULD BE: Emilia Clarke or Kit Harington

CATWOMAN

1. Lee Meriwether
2. Eartha Kitt
3. Julie Newmar
4. Michelle Pfeiffer
5. Halle Berry

THE NEXT CATWOMAN SHOULD BE: Victoria Smurfit or Angelina Jolie

THE JOKER

1. TIE: Heath Ledger & Jack Nicholson
2. Cesar Romero
3. Mark Hamil (animated voice)

THE NEXT JOKER SHOULD BE: Adrien Brody

[ 11. June 2012, 19:06: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they bring out the Penguin and/or Riddler, who should it be?
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Chris, those have always been tough characters to get right. Penguin would have to be this actor from 'Game of Thrones' called Conleth Hill, reminds me of Charles Laughton in 'The Island of lost Souls', good actor.

The Riddler could be played by Matthew Lillard or Jonathan Rhys Myers, perhaps even Ellijah Wood.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home