iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Need help locating movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help locating movie
bos
Rewind Curious
Member # 628

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for bos   Email bos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie was about 3 or 4 young Americans that were traveling thru Europe and they crossed over to an occupied territory and were imprisoned. I believe it was a Turkish prison? They all try to escape. (let's just say this prison was full of savages) While trying to escape, I think one of the young men dies. They eventually get out and try to make their way back to America. I hope someone has heard of this movie. My family thinks I dreamt it and are making this up.
Posts: 4 | From: Newton, KS USA | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
noblprz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 999

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for noblprz   Email noblprz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be you are thinking of Midnight Express with I think Keith Carradine and Randy Quaid. If I remember right, Carradine gets arrested for smuggling Hash in his trousers, and is sent to a brutal turkish prison, eventually escaping.

I believe it was a late 70's film.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noblprz is mostly right:

"Midnight Express" does takes place in a brutal Turkish prison, and that Randy Quaid is in the movie. And it came out in the late 70's, 1978 to be exact.

However, Keith Carradine is not in it. The guy who played played the lead role is Brad Davis, a truly underrated actor who made his starring movie debut here. Sadly, Davis died of AIDS complications in 1991.

The movie was based upon the true story of Billy Hayes, who was caught smuggling hashish in 1970 and was originally sentenced to five years, but was later extended to 30 years. However, Hayes escaped in 1975.

The movie won Academy Award Oscars to Giorgio Moroder (Donna Summer's album producer), who did the background music, and to a then-unknown Oliver Stone, for his script.

Irene Miracle won a Golden Globe Award for her debut as Billy Hayes' girlfriend.

For anyone else who hasn't seen it, this movie is sometimes hard to watch.

A few years ago, the real-life Hayes said that the movie version somewhat exaggerated his experiences in Istanbul, Turkey.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
bos
Rewind Curious
Member # 628

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for bos   Email bos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your quick response. I'll check out that movie, but I was sure it was a later 80's or early 90's movie...The guys seem to be fresh out of college; and there were 3 or 4 young men that were main characters. The prison had a seperate basement prison that was worse then the prison upstairs...Two inmates would fight in the basement prison in an arena and would fight to the death. It was so barbaric that the prison officials never let anyone know about the downstairs prison. I think there was an older prisoner that helped them escape and I'm sure one of the young men died in the escape. I'm just not sure if it was Midnight Express because that film was made much earlier then the film I'm thinking of. Thanks so much for your help-I appreciate it.
Posts: 4 | From: Newton, KS USA | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
bos
Rewind Curious
Member # 628

Rate Member
No luck anyone? I remember that there is no drug smuggling or anything like that in this movie...These guys just cross over into another country..(there was only a barbed wire fence and a sign)and they knew they'd be in trouble if they were caught, but they did it anyway on a dare. Please help.
BobC
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 82

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for BobC   Email BobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie is called Born American with Mike Norris.
Posts: 15 | From: Fairlawn, NJ, USA | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bos wrote, in part:
quote:
I remember that there is no drug smuggling or anything like that in this movie...These guys just cross over into another country (there was only a barbed wire fence and a sign) and they knew they'd be in trouble if they were caught, but they did it anyway on a dare...

Thanks for the additional details! Now I believe I'm getting closer to the movie title you were probably thinking of...

"Born American", from 1986. It was directed (and co-starred) by Finland-born Renny Harlin, who moved to the U.S. in 1986 and specialized in directing action films (examples: Nightmare On Elm Street #4, Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger, etc.), and later was married to actress Geena Davis from 1993-1998.

The movie was shot in Finland, although it supposedly takes place in the old Soviet Union.

The movie stars Mike Norris (Chuck's son).

Could this movie be the one you're thinking of?

To confirm, click here:
http://us.imdb.com/Details?0091313

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
bos
Rewind Curious
Member # 628

Rate Member
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for finding that movie! For years I've been wondering what that movie was because it was so bizarre and I had never seen anything like it. I always felt so sorry for those guys because one wrong footstep and your whole world could turn upside down..I know it was fictional, but I always wanted to travel abroad and that movie made me think I'd better know the language, customs, and law before I travel...Nice how we don't have to think about that kind of stuff here in America. Thanks Again.
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
Bos:

You're welcome.

And regarding part of your most recent post:

quote:
...but I always wanted to travel abroad and that movie made me think I'd better know the language, customs, and law before I travel...Nice how we don't have to think about that kind of stuff here in America...

That reminds me of another quote from a non-80's movie, the 1942 classic "Casablanca". There's a scene where a Nazi German officer tells of their plans to invade the rest of the world. Humphrey Bogart in his usual sly manner, warns them, "There are certain sections of New York, Major, that I would not advise you to try to invade."
:-)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home