iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Breakfast Club (1985) vs Sixteen Candles (1984) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Breakfast Club (1985) vs Sixteen Candles (1984)
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Breakfast Club", hands-down. TBC is my favorite John Hughes film, and one of my all-time favorite movies, period. I recently re-watched this on Blu-ray, and it was great as the first time I saw this back in the '80's.

I was a teen in high school when this was first released, and like others on here could really relate to the characters & the situations. I'm sure it's relatable for younger folks also, since the themes are fairly universal (though if the film came out now I'm sure the vice-principal would have had to confiscate all of their smart phones at the beginning of detention )...It was interesting to re-watch this as an adult, since, going along with the complaint the Vice Principal in the film (Paul Gleason) had, the kids going to the H.S. at that time are now running the country.

The ending scene with Judd Nelson walking alone across the football field & doing the fist pump, while Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About me" plays over the scene is iconic & classic. Great stuff here.

Conversely, I didn't see "Sixteen Candles" for the first time until around 2004-ish, and felt it was sappy - though still well-done & worth seeing.

[ 03. October 2016, 12:49: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Conversely, I didn't see "Sixteen Candles" for the first time until around 2004-ish, and felt it was sappy - though still well-done & worth seeing.
Ah... but that would have a big effect on how you feel about it. It felt very fresh and fun when it first came out - the movie that introduced Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall to the world - not to mention the first Hughes teen effort. I imagine if you'd seen it back in the day you'd love it much more now. Your opinion on The Breakfast Club has nostalgia going for it too, which is hard to beat.

"Nostalgia is my ally... and a powerful ally it is"

I think the Breakfast Club has a better script, and that play like feel is great, but if I had to choose... nope - I think I'll opt out of this one. Others can decide!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just started reading the John Hughes book so i´m rewatching all his stuff from Class Reunion to Curly Sue (ok, never seen Dutch or Curly Sue before).
The truth will be revealed! [Smile]

But, 31 days of horror first of course [Cool]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What John Hughes book?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This one. very informative, for me at least.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Rewatched these two films and the verdict is:

Sixteen Candles 9/10

The Breakfast Club 8/10

So it´s close.

SC is just fantastic and Mike is still the funniest little fella on earth. Remember when our rooms looked like these ones?

-

TBC is very good, in fact it was much better than i remembered. The cast is great but the script is a bit too play-like and a tad too preachy.
I still would like to see the 3-hour version John had in his vaults though.
And even though the film doesn´t need any nudity, it would be nice if it´d be there like Hughes planned at first [Wink]

I also bought the soundtrack cd and you gotta love those Keith Forsey tunes.

-

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool - I remember checking out TBC CD soundtrack out of the library back in the '90's, but don't remember it having many notable songs other than Simple Minds "Don't you forget about me" - which played throughout the film. I'll have to go back & listen to this again at some point.
Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I have rethought the Breakfast Club Soundtrack. It's now a B- instead of a C. But my opinion from 5 years ago stands, even though my wife, who just saw it recently would disagree.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home