iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Watchers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Watchers
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watchers was one of the Corey Haim films that I was always curious about but never got around to seeing. It is an elusive movie. Every time I did find a copy for sale, it was rather expensive & since I hadn't seen it, I couldn't justify taking the chance.

Recently, to my delight, I saw that Netflix was streaming Watchers! For those of your who may be unfamiliar, the movie is based on a novel by Dean Koontz. I have to say, I didn't hate it...it was alright. I know people who are fans of the book were appalled by the film version.

Corey did a good job as a boy who finds & befriends a stray dog that has escaped from a genetic research lab after a horrible explosion. The dog, which has been genetically engineered to understand & communicate with humans, is actually being hunted by another violent creature that has also escaped from the lab. The movie definitely has an 80's horror/sci-fi vibe to it. It's worth checking out.

I was surprised to see the blonde girl from Dream A Little Dream in this. I did some research. Her name is Lala Sloatman. She is the niece of Frank Zappa and was Corey Haim's girlfriend for two years. Interesting! I remember seeing her in the teen magazines at different celeb events in the late 80's but never really knew who she was...here's a few pics...

-

-

-

-

Anyways, have any of you seen Watchers? Did you hate it, love it or just think it was okay?

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own the dvd and i think that it´s a decent thriller.

I haven´t read the book so i can watch this movie through different eyes,
and maybe enjoy the movie a little bit more.

Nice Lala Sloatman info, Cindy!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it years ago, but like you, I added it to my Netflix instant streaming. I wasn't a big fan of it then. I love to read, but I can't get through a Dean Koontz book...I think they're weird lol, so maybe that's why I didn't like the movie. I am gonna watch it again though and see if I like it any better. I'm a huge Corey Haim fan but this movie wasn't my favorite.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got to admit to really liking this one cindy and i too also own it,i remember reading a lot of reviews of people saying it was a great book turned into an awful movie,but as i have never read the book i like atomik am also unable to make a comparison.

one thing i can remember it getting is a 1 star rating out of 5 in my monthly video mag at the time so i went into it with rather low expectations to start with but must say i came away really entertained!

i feel it's great film,one that i would say is very underated,but i also do think am i in the right position to actually say this as i have never read the novel it is based on and that is what most peoples hang ups seem to be about is how dean r koontz's story was converted to the big screen!

watchers trailer- http://youtu.be/FiHtxJzvpPM .

[ 23. July 2011, 16:42: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only seen it in parts so far, but would like to see the whole thing some day; what I have seen has seemed reasonable enough.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie has been in my instant queue for a long time, but I never watched it. I don't even know if it's still there haha.

Great pics, Cindy! I watched some bio thing on Corey a while back and they mentioned this girl, I think.. or at least, they showed the pics of them together. [Smile]

I'm interested in seeing this, but I never heard a lot about it.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie isn't as terrible as many folks say. It's OK in a kind of drive-in double feature way. The great writer-director Paul Haggis, who has Oscars and nominations on his mantle for "Crash" and "Million Dollar Baby," wrote a draft of the screenplay, but took his name off the finished film after his draft was revised. (I like Dean Koontz a lot, but I also have not read this one so I can make no comparison between novel and film.) No movie with great Canadian heavy Michael Ironside and the wonderful Barbara Williams from "Thief of Hearts" in it can be all bad. And this isn't. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found this one uploaded in it's entirety on Youtube for those who don't own it or haven't seen it...

Watchers (Full Movie)

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home