iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » bridge from first blood to be demolished!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bridge from first blood to be demolished!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sadly the bridge from sly stallone's classic 1982 hit first blood is to be demolished!
it's to be torn down and replaced by a new one,local residents tried to save it but to no avail,something do with enviromental issues and the fact that the bridge was made from creosote soaked timbers!

local hope town resident and long time campaigner mr john j rambo said

" if they want a war,i'll give them a war" and when later told to remove himself from bridge by the local authoritys he was heard to shout "don't push me".

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/223525/rambo-bridge-to-be-demolished.html .

[ 12. July 2011, 13:18: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warrior..

Sad stuff about the bridge.

"First Blood" is such a wicked movie with a great premise. Still a classic in my book. I picked it up on Blu-ray awhile back and watched it for the first time in years.

Did you notice that your bridge link totally misunderstood what I feel happened in the movie? ha..

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truly Valley...At the time, First Blood (based on a book by David Morrell - go read it if you haven't...such an excellent read!) had no knowledge of future sequels or what shape they might take. The link author seems to take the sequels heavily into account.
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my all time favs...I've seen First Blood at least 20 times. Let's say we organize a group...and chain ourselves to the bridge in protest! Couldn't they just use a little glue or something?
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kevdug we'll all be right behind ya!
i say right behind ya, well,actually a few miles behind ya!
if they detonate the bridge while your still chained to it remember your be dying for a good cause!

valley & earl
i think the article could have perhaps gone in to a bit more depth,i know it's not big news to everyone but it did feel to me as though it was probably written by someone who had read up on the movie and it sequels rather than someone who had viewed them!

earl can you remember does morrell's book differ much from the script of the movie or is it basically just the end?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warrior, Aha! You're someone who knows enough about it to comment about the end (nothing more to be given away for those who don't!).

To answer your question, yes, I remember it all these years later and yes, it was quite different. I am a huge "reader" and consume quite a bit, so there are pretty stark diffrences between a true novel and a novelization.

I am not by any means demeaning novelization, I have one from just about any movie you can name in the last 40 years so they are like junk food for me, but no, the novel First Blood was quite obviously not written specifically for the screen. I won't say at all because I am sure most authors have dreams, but the experience in First Blood the novel is just so rich in character it truly feels like an altogether different experience.

Seek it out! You will not be disappointed!

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me start by recognizing Kev for his bridge protest that is very noble indeed, but for someone that has seen "First Blood" 20 times .. uh.. Ka-Boom?

-

Earl.. Since its 30 years since the novel was released .. I have to spill some of the details. I never read the novel, but did research it years ago when I heard that Kirk Douglas was suppose to play Col. Trautman, but quit the film because it wasn't holding true to the novel.

Most people probably know this.. but Rambo and Sheriff Teasle both die at the end of the novel.. right?

Personally, I prefer the movie ending, but not all the sequels .. so I'm torn about this really. ha

Was the novel written with Steve McQueen in mind for the role of Rambo?

Other rumors say that John Travolta and Dustin Hoffman turned the role of Rambo down before Stallone got the part.

I got a new plan.. let's blow the bridge up in tribute before they can do it themselves!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
Since there is a whole bag and cat thing going on, I can safely say that you are correct Valley! [Big Grin]

Although when you read the novel, by the time you are three-quarters of the way through, you know for certain it can't end any other way and it is almost cathartic when it does end. This wasn't a trip through the forest where some sherriff's deputies got some spikes through the legs and some broken noses. Rambo kills cops and national guardsmen...like lots of them!

It starts to sink in that these were just people trying to do their job and you know it can't go any other way. This was written right in the middle of the Vietnam War and what got me looped into this thread so quickly was Valley's question about the author of the link misunderstanding the movie. In that sense you are completely correct. Rambo was simply broken and lost in his country that he no longer understood and didn't understand or accept him and unfortunately he was very dangerous. Not too subtle commentary on how we were receiving our soldiers back at that time in history.

Morrell's scope was epic and owed more to tragedy than redemption, but in the end was simply heartbreaking. It is the kind that will stay with you for years to come and I first read it when I was 12! I'm not saying I didn't love Fist Blood the movie. It is absolutely one of my favortie movies of the 80's and of all time as well. I'm just saying I would love to have seen a First Blood movie that was faithful to the book as well.

Cool discussion gang...thanks for the ear! [Smile]

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking out loud: "Hmmmm...I think I'll get some scrap wood....and sell them on the internet to nerds stuck in the 80's....tell em' the pieces are part of the Rambo Bridge before they tore it down...."

* Hey....anybody on here want to buy a piece of 80's history? [Frown]

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sucks! First Blood is one of my fave 80's films too! Very sad....
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home