iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Quicksilver (1986) Kevin Bacon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quicksilver (1986) Kevin Bacon
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched this last night, for the first time.

-

from imdb:

Jack Casey ('Kevin Bacon' )used to be a hot-shot stock market whiz kid. After a disastrous professional decision, his life in the fast lane is over. He loses his nerve and joins a speed delivery firm which relies on bicycles to avoid traffic jams of San Francisco, is attracted to a fellow bicycler, Terri, and befriends Hector, a budding entrepreneur. Can Jack regain his nerve and his self-respect, and rebuild his life on a more sound basis?

I had heard of it over the years, but never bothered to check it out and I am a Kevin Bacon fan ha. I also had no idea Jami Gertz was in it.

-

She was naturally pretty in this movie!

Here's the thing, I looked up old topics for this movie here and couldn't find much but it seems like a lot of Rewinders didn't care for it!

The reasons I liked it:

Seeing the cast, Bacon, Gertz, Laurence Fishburne, Paul Rodriguez, (who tends to have his real last name in almost every movie haha), Louie Anderson...

-

I also loved the score tunes and the other songs. With Giorrgio Moroder, John Parr, Ray Parker Jr... aweosme stuff!

I really liked the bicycle 'dancing' scene. I wish they would have had more of that in there, plus the race scenes. The cool tricks were pretty awesome!

here's a youtube clip from the movie:

Bike Dancing

I will say that Kevin Bacon's character seems to be a bit of a jerk in some parts? haha.
and the movie really wasn't super fantastic, but I still enjoyed it.

Thanks to Valley for getting me to watch this one. [Smile]

Does anyone else here like it..even a little? haha

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say I enjoy this one slightly above just a little bit. There was a time in my youth when I lived not too far from where this film was shot. And it's always great to see those familiar areas again from time to time. Even if they are more of the run-down ghetto-y areas..lol.

No, but seriously, this is a pretty damn good movie. And I agree with Ronnie that the Soundtrack is quite good too. And I love Jami Gertz in this movie too.

So yeah, I think more people need to give this movie another chance. Or, if you haven't seen..I definitely suggest you chack it out.

And very nice write-up btw Ronnie [Smile]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha Pyro, ..guetto-y... [Big Grin] that's pretty cool that you lived near where it was filmed!

too cool on the soundtrack. i need to get the tunes, they totally helped the movie along.

quote:
And very nice write-up btw Ronnie [Smile]
thank you Pyro [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this movie Ronniebear! (love the new name btw). Saw it back in the theaters when it first came out. I own it on dvd and watch it a couple times a year. Just watched it a few weeks ago in fact! I think it's a favorite of Jaylee too! [Razz]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin Bacon does not make bad movies! [Big Grin]

I agree, great write-up! I know a great one when it makes me want to go buy it and watch it all over again right now!

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

thanks guys [Smile] finally, some love for Quicksilver! go watch it!
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great writeup Miss!

I still haven't seen it........I want too....to at least gage what my opinion might be....... [Wink]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quicksilver is a very good movie with an awesome soundtrack.
Sadly i don´t own the dvd.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Muffy, you HAVE to see it, you're in it! [Wink]

I really dug the tunes in this movie, I have to track them down. [Smile]

Another scene I forgot to mention, was the one where Kevin's character and his 'friend' Rand are having their own sexy little dance off, her vs. the bike ha! Good stuff.

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've owned this for a while but have never seen it....almost took it off the shelf to watch a while ago. I put it as a priority now....thanks Ronnie.....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the bike stunt scene and race scene....so many good ones! The song "Quicksilver Lightning" is currently on my playlist too. Great soundtrack!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bizarre movie: Quicksilver started off well with Smilin' Jack (Kevin Bacon's character in A Few Good Men was also called Smilin' Jack) as a washed up stockbroker who becomes a bike messenger.

But the story didn't really go anywhere for a long time: I liked the bike stunts (great opening race sequence between the cab and the bike), the excellent soundtrack and Kevin Bacon is always a great actor to watch, but they just didn't give him much to do here. The minor characters weren't fleshed out at all, and only Hector Rodriguez had a narrative arc worth following.

The tacked on sub-plot about the gangster was absurd, and I would've liked to have seen more about Jack Casey's old life clashing with the new.

Overall, it was OK but only because Kevin Bacon's performance made it watchable and even then, it was a rather long two hours.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Wow, I need to watch it again. I barely remember the movie now ha! I did get the music though, yay me. [Wink]

There's a new movie out now, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt where he plays a bike messenger and gets hold of an envelope and ends up in a pursuit! Reviews aren't bad..

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorites. I first saw this in the small college town I went to school in and it made me miss SF big time. Not the greatest movie but that's ok.

I think this was Kevin Bacon's first post-Footloose movie.

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With gas prices and unemployment we'll see lots of Quicksilvers..
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home