iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Opinions on Night of the Creeps, The Monster Squad and Fred Dekker in general?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opinions on Night of the Creeps, The Monster Squad and Fred Dekker in general?
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Anthony33   Email Anthony33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else here a fan of Fred Dekker? He wrote and directed the classic B sci-fi/horror flick Night of the Creeps and directed The Monster Squad (which he also co-wrote with Shane Black who also wrote Lethal Weapon and The Last Boy Scout). Dekker also co-wrote and directed Robocop 3, which most people don't like and consider the weakest in the Robocop franchise. I agree it's the weakest, but didn't think Robocop 3 was as bad as most people think, but even Dekker himself didn't really like how it turned out in the end. Anyway, I love and am a huge fan of Creeps and Monster Squad, both of which the reviewers did a great job on at this site IMO. Fred Dekker also contributed drafts for the movies House, Ricochet and If Looks Could Kill (1991).

Not a weekend goes by where I don't want to watch either Night of the Creeps or The Monster Squad and I'd love to meet Dekker and/or any of the actors or other crew involved in these films someday at a convention or screening, as was done a few years back for both movies at the famed Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas. So anyone here agree with me or do you all think I'm just out of my mind? Both of these movies were considered box office flops and were pulled from theaters after just a few weeks, but, much like A Christmas Story, gained huge cult followings through video rentals and cable airings over the years and now, more than 20 years later, they've finally gotten the recognition they deserved.

Posts: 60 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several Fred Dekker fans here..

Night of the Creeps Rewind Thread

I know that "The Monster Squad" is a childhood fav of many including my pal Ronnie. [Cool]

Similar to the amazing commentary and extras on "Night of the Creeps" .. same thing with the Fred Dekker classic "The Monster Squad"!!

I seriously spent two nights watching each Blu-ray and was just totally impressed. Actually enjoyed the extras almost as much as the movies.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fred Dekker is awesome!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Anthony33   Email Anthony33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed there's someone here that calls themself Wolfman's Got Nards. I don't suppose they still post here, do they? Glad to know I've finally met come fellow fans of his. Anybody here go to conventions? I would love to, just to get to meet Dekker and anyone involved with these 2 movies. I know they said on the DVD releases that the sold out screenings at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas led to the DVD releases in the first place.

I don't know about you guys, but do you ever wonder what these people do to earn a living when they're not working regularly? I just read some recent interviews where Dekker said he was working on some pilot for a TV series and possibly some new screenplays. This was stuff said in 2009 though. I wonder what a guy like that does for money in his down time or "fallow periods" as he calls them.

Oh yeah and isn't Muffy Tepperman the name of the Jami Gertz character on Square Pegs? I haven't had the chance to see that show, but I did like Gertz in The Lost Boys, Sixteen Candles and Still Standing is one of my all-time favorite sitcoms. I just got a copy of Less Than Zero I still have to watch. Supposedly fans of the book don't like the movie as much, saying it's too different, but others really enjoy the movie and the acting performances.

Posts: 60 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm totally in the mood now, for Monster Squad Val!!

NOTC (Creeps, not Comet) is an awesome movie.

i recently watched House on dvd and had no idea Dekker was involved with the story until i saw the credits.

amazing special features on both dvds for Squad and Creeps!

and even more awesome that we've been given both movies blu-ray releases! too cool, right?

[Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie.. all I can say is:

-

Also, thanks for reminding me to always reference these movies as NotC especially since my unfortunate incident! [Embarrassed]

But we differ on this point.. I totally enjoy 'Comet' as well.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anthony speaking of the Alamo Drafthouse.....have you guys seen this commercial they did recently? it's hilarious!! I gotta warn there is lots of cussing.....a girl got caught texting during a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHUDtG6fVZY

Yup my name is from Square Pegs....check the tv section a bunch of us just watched it recently again.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
Square Pegs lasted one season right? I think I heard it was released on DVD. So, you a Jami Gertz fan? You ever watch her on Still Standing? Great show, where the parents are former cool teens from the '80s, so there are '80s references in a few of the episodes. In one of them, they even chaperone their teenage kids at an '80s dance. So kind of a Muffy flashback look in that episode.

Oh yeah and awesome Alamo Drafthouse story. I read an article about that on MSN news and they also mentioned that on Real Time With Bill Maher. Good for Alamo but I do also agree that they should give the customer their money back or some kind of free pass for a later show, as long as they agree so shut the hell up and watch the movie. Did I mention that not a weekend goes by that I don't want to watch either Creeps or Squad? What did you guys think of the DVD covers? I agree the Blu Ray cover of Night of the Creeps looks better. There's a funny, interestying comparison of the DVD and Blu Ray releases where a guy says about the DVD Hulkamania must've been running wild on the DVD release lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL5aXQV0p3s

You can also find the Q&A sessions of Night of the Creeps online and Monster Squad cast reunions on Youtube.

Something what makes me feel very old is the fact that Ashley Bank was 5 years old when they filmed The Monster Squad and is now 30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4h9J2ZW7z8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezi71YxUDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXjnANaDxzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lgq_YXV4as

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBEWxlOukR8

[ 25. June 2011, 19:30: Message edited by: Anthony33 ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else noticed that the more recent
Slither (2006) owes a lot to Night of the Creeps ?

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nearly any movie with Tom Atkins is a must watch. Lethal Weapon, NOTC, etc.., to name a few.

Night of the Creeps is so damned campy that it's difficult not to find enjoyment in it. The director's cut on blue ray is a nice deal. The commentary with Dekker is an interesting listen.

Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a big Night of the Creeps fan (waits for boos) but I LOVE the Monster Squad!! I have it on DVD and Blu-ray, and I have it taped on VHS somewhere. It's held up as one of my all time favorite movies. When I was a kid I only wanted to see it cause of Ryan Lambert from Kids Incorporated...I wound up loving the movie though, and I rented it whenever I could.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
How could you pettyfan? BLASPHEMY lol.
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night of the Creeps is both very scary and very funny without the horror or the comedy dominating the other. It's one of those movies that went mostly unnoticed during its original theatrical run and later gained a cult following though home video and cable TV. According to BoxOfficeMojo, it only grossed $591,366 domestically in the U.S. It's great to see it finally gained the attention and following it deserves. I've posted my thoughts on Night of the Creeps in the thread Valley linked, so check it out if you're interested.

The special edition DVD release has a crystal clear transfer and some nice bonuses (2 audio commentaries, highlights from ,the cast reunion in June 2009 at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, 6 behind-the scenes featurettes on the cast/SFX/production of the movie, etc.) I would definitely get ahold of it.

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I've never seen The Monster Squad. I have it on my Netflix queue currently, so I'll check it out soon. Being a lifelong fan of horror movies, especially ones with monsters, I can't wait to see it.

Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
I was gonna put this in the screaming police Lt./Captains thread, but decided to put it here:

Hey, something I just found out. Frank Mcrae plays a character in Last Action Hero named Lieutenant Dekker. The cool thing about this is that the movie is co-written by Shane Black, an old college buddy of Fred Dekker's, so this is obviously a nod to Shane's good friend. Black also appears in the background as a cop in the police station in Creeps, I believe when the seargent calls Detective Cameron and we're first introduced to his character. Shane Black also co-wrote Monster Squad with Fred Dekker, so yes, the script is written by Black and Dekker. Later the same year, 1987 was when another Black script came out in theaters, Lethal Weapon, which became Black's big break. You can see some of the same buddy cop banter in some scenes in Monster Squad between Stephen Macht and Stan Shaw like you see in Lethal Weapon, so look out for that too.

Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
You shouldn't be TOO ashamed about that lol. I always kind of felt bad that I missed Night of the Creeps when it was originaly in theaters. Maybe if the movie had stayed in theaters longer, I would've caught it then. I didn't see it until it started airing on HBO. I'd love to go to a screening of it or just see it in some theater someday with a live audience. Hopefully someday.

I DID get to see Monster Squad in a theater, in a drive-in actually, which was kind of cool considering Fred Dekker got the idea for The Monster Squad based on horror movies he saw in drive-ins when he was growing up. It turned out to be the last drive-in here in Long Island in Westbury. It sadly closed down in 1997. I went on a drive-ins website where it said the nearest one now is over 60 miles from here, great lol. Maybe someday I'll take a date with me out to one, if we can find a place to stay for the weekend and something cool to see.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home