iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » breathless 1983 richard gere

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: breathless 1983 richard gere
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i have this on my top 20 80s list and i've heard it's one of quentin tarantino's favourites!
i was wondering what other peoples oppinions are on it as i can remember a lot of the critics at the time of it's release hating it with a vengeance!
whether it was that they had fond memories of jean luc goddard's 1960 original and hated this by comparison or that they just had a general dislike of the film i do not know!
i've always thought this was a great movie,superbly directed by jim mcbride,gere is perfect as thief on the run jessie,valerie kaprisky is not the greatest actress ever but is very easy on the eye!
 -

also features a great soundtrack with dexys midnight runners,the pretenders,sam cooke etc plus a superb musical score by philip glass!
how could you not like a film with a cool but completely bonkers ending as this - http://youtu.be/7q4QTlrvayI .

-

[ 07. April 2012, 06:06: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I own the dvd and love the movie!
Jim McBride was such a visionary and you have to give lots of credit to the cinematographer Richard H. Kline.

Richard Gere is fantastic and Valérie Kaprisky is super hot.
I also own two French movies starring Kaprisky:

La femme publique, The Public Woman (1984)
L'année des méduses (1984)

Lots of skin in these ones [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

As a comics buff, i like that fact that Gere´s character is obsessed with Silver Surfer comic books.

And i love the ending!

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

great pics atomik! i also liked the fact that gere's charachter jessie was obsessed with the silver surfer comics and the fact that you sense he would read them as an escape from his everyday reality!
i think everything about the movie,the way it was shot,the performances,the soundtrack are all in a class of there own even down to how superbly edited its trailer was http://youtu.be/7YbMWDNw3LU .
yeh! kaprisky could never be acused of being shy! [Wink]

[ 07. April 2012, 05:52: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree, guys. I've always liked "Breathless," a nicely updated remake of the Goddard film (which is an excllent, groundbreaking movie). I can see why Tarantino likes it: It's a film that exudes "coolness" from the lovely colors, the Silver Surfer references, and the music of Jerry Lee Lewis--and the overall existentialism. A lot of people think that Gere is way over the top here, but I think that his performance is fittingly stylized to the film. Love him or hate him, he is darned fun to watch with his hypomanic schtick about "The Killer, Mr. Jerry Lee Lewis," "the Silver Surfer," and "ME AND MONICA! Goin' to MEX-I-CO!"

And you are right, great trailer, YW. I hadn't seen it in years, and it still is terrific.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off .. the original 1960 French film " À bout de souffle "(known as Breathless in English) was a groundbreaking film and considered a masterpiece by many.

Lucky for me .. in the 80's I had no clue about the original film and watched "Breathless" with Richard Gere and thought it was an incredibly sexy film with elements of danger throughout. Several excellent tunes on the soundtrack as well. How did The Pretenders get in there?

Speaking of Quentin Tarantino's love for this movie.. did anyone ever notice the Silver Surfer poster in Freddy Newandyke's apartment seen in "Reservoir Dogs"? [Cool]

Also.. when Lt. Parmentel interviews Jesse's friend Tolmatchoff, he refers to a 'Johnny Godard'!

I totally enjoy discovering stuff like that!

[ 17. June 2011, 09:28: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched this last year.......i'm not sure if I finished it only because I watched it late at night......but I really liked it!

Gere was great back then....and sexy......

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used to really like this. I echo the Silver Surfer sentiments mentioned above. I can still recall the first time I watched this in the 80's and the things that stood out for me were - 'cool', 'comics' and 'nudity'.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a great movie. It's beautifully shot, Gere does very well and the movie plays in a cool pop-culture environment.
Godard's movie was groundbreaking, but I'm not very fond of it.

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

breathless is coming to blu ray april the 7 th 2015 and the following week eddie and cruisers 1 and 2 on a 2 on 1 disc release.

i've got a richard gere film on my hard drive what i recorded of the box the other month which i've never seen and that is mr jones from 1993.

looking forward to giving it a watch.

anyone seen it?

http://youtu.be/z9sg0usP6Vc - i really love the music score to breathless by philip glass

[ 06. February 2015, 16:09: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Jones is an entertaining, though deeply flawed, movie with an outstanding performance by Richard Gere. While the love story between patient and doctor is fairly implausible and cliched, Gere is so impressive playing a wonderful, intelligent guy, who unfortunately has bipolar disorder. In fact, I think that Gere does the best movie portrayal of bipolar that I've ever seen. When he's manic, you see how wonderful life is to him, but when he crashes on the other end of the cycle, it's very sad. He's great. I wish the movie were up to his level.

[ 02. May 2016, 12:50: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes please, I'll be buying the blu-ray of Breathless. Love this movie!! Gere is so great in his early films.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home