iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » streets of gold 1986

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: streets of gold 1986
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

anyone else seen this excellent 1986 boxing drama starring klaus maria brandauer,wesley snipes and adrian pasdar?
terrific performances all round ,a great musical score, plus a real crowd pleasing ending make this one a winner!
i have the region 4 dvd as picture above,it's only available on vhs here in the u.k.
http://youtu.be/kyJVZ0k9gns .

-

[ 11. October 2016, 16:32: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen it, interesting movie.
It was released here back in the day so iŽll keep my eyes open.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
track it down if you can atomik,you wont regret it,it's a great film! snipes and pasdar training scene - http://youtu.be/Tn2vOC06GS4 .
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warrior..

I actually have this movie on laserdisc. Haven't watched it in years.. but I agree that it is an underrated film. Great story about a boxer that was prevented from participating on his country's olympic team because he was jewish. Years later he takes two promising boxers under his wing and trains them to help obtain the olympic glory he was deprived.

The movie has a great story and the ending has some Rocky II and The Karate Kid elements in it.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
i always wanted to get a laserdisc player valley when they first came out,my father in law owned one while at the time i still had to make do with my trusty vhs player! talk about feeling jealous! i'm positive i can remember a few of his discs you would have to get up half way through then have to flip the disc over to watch the rest of the film and i'm sure i also remember rightly he had a couple of movies that came on more than one disc!

looking back at laserdiscs there were a lot of 80s movies released on the format still not widely available on dvd!
a film reviewer when it first came out described streets of gold as "rocky for adults",at the time i could not work out if he was being patronising towards the rocky movies or not, but now i see he was pointing more towards the realism & adult drama of it plus the slightly slower pace if compared to say the rocky sequels! your right streets of gold definitely has that rocky/karate kid/ stallone's over the top style ending where the underdog is triumphant against all odds!

[ 14. June 2011, 02:36: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warrior.. even though Blu-ray has replaced Laserdisc for me now.. I still cherish my old laserdisc player and the titles that are still not available on Blu-ray.

ha.. and yes my first laserdisc player had all the annoyances you described such as having to flip the movie over or use multiple discs to watch a long movie. But the newer model I still have was able to read both sides of the disc without having to get up and flip it over. Still a slight delay.. but way better.

I still rank my laserdisc player above watching a standard def DVD. And the fact that some 80's flicks have never made it to from laserdisc to Blu-ray makes it that much more nostalgic. [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Talking of ace sports movies anyone else ever watched the really entertaining Streets Of Gold before?
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of this one...looks good...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Great movie this but very obscure with only a Australian Dvd release (of which I own) so far to my knowledge,it was released here in the UK by Vestron video when I watched it back upon its original release in 1986.

Anyhow a really good quality copy floating around YouTube at the moment for anyone who wants to check it out who doesn't have the means otherwise!

https://youtu.be/Dunayx4VCWg - Streets Of Gold 1986 (ignore it saying it's a TV Movie as it's nothing of the sort!)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home