iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » a few 80s flicks i have on my rental list i have never seen!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a few 80s flicks i have on my rental list i have never seen!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's a few 80s movies i've never seen i have on my uk love film rental list

- all the right moves (1983)

echo park with tom hulce(1986)

cold dog soup with randy quaid and frank whaley(1989)
 -

yellowbeard(1983)

urban cowboy(1980)

mr mom(1983) i have seen but can't remember nothing from it!
 -

starting over(1980)starring burt reynolds

lucas(1986)
something special(1986) aka willy milly

cold steel(1987) with adam ant,brad davis and sharon stone .
 -

anyones opinions on any of these i would be grateful!

[ 07. April 2012, 09:42: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Mr. Mom.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like All the Right Moves, nice early cruiser flick.

All the Right Moves thread

I own Echo Park but haven´t watched it.

Never seen Cold Dog Soup but it looks interesting.

Seen Yellowbeard in the early 90s but don´t remember much.
I guess that it´s ok but nothing more.

Urban Cowboy is a good drama but i didn´t like the country/western score.

Mr. Mom is good but not a classic in my books.

Never seen Starting Over, interesting cast there.

Lucas is a classic.

Lucas thread

Something Special aka Willy/Milly is very good.

Willy/Milly thread

Never seen Cold Steel but i want it in my Sharon Stone collection.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many thanks atomik & pettyfan!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Warrior!

-

I definitely recommend "All The Right Moves" .. gritty flick that had some interesting moments. I probably said it in the thread aTomiK posted.. but the bus ride scene to the game had the atmosphere I so clearly remember from my high school sports days. Plus, my buddy and I used to entertain friends late at night in the late 80's/early 90's by reinacting scenes like the infamous "You're not God, Nickerson. You're just a typing teacher." scene.

-

Put "Lucas" way up on your list .. but be prepared for a few tears once the sentimental moments shine and you realize Corey Haim is no longer with us. Great supporting cast .. Kerri Green, Charlie Sheen, Winona Ryder, Courtney Thorne-Smith, & Jeremy Piven.

-

"Urban Cowboy" is a classic in my opinion. It has some cheesy moments, but overall I must admit it is a guilty pleasure. "Lookin' for love in all the wrong places". I know Ronnie enjoys country music and John Travolta.. uh .. not in that order.. wonder what she thinks of this film?

-

And Muffy is a huge fan of "Willy Milly" .. I'm not as much .. but I do think it's cute.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
thanks for all the great info valley,looking at the old uk vhs willy milly cover makes me laugh,they've now released it on a budget dvd over here and it's got the most god awful new cover ever and now has the alternate name of "something special",but at the end of the day it's the movie that counts!
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Mr. Mom is 100% amazing. Make no mistake Keaton is awesome and the dialogue is great.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey All!

I agree with what everyone said here. I don't own any of them and don't sit down and watch any of them very year like I do some, but these all have that very 80's-ness to them where if you lived through the 80's at kind of the right age then you certainly recognize quite a bit from them. Loved the girls with the bangs in their hair back then and they are on full display with Keri Green and Lea Thompson in Lucas and All The Right Moves! Full on hotties to a 13 year old boy back then!

Urban Cowboy was a little more adult to me back then, but I always laughed when my older sister would always use Debra Winger's twangy accent and yell "Fine! Fergit it!" Funny stuff...

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
Devolution here,

Mr. Mom is 100% amazing. Make no mistake Keaton is awesome and the dialogue is great.

We are DEVO

"What'd you use a .22? 21, 22, whatever it took..."

Mr. Mom is an all time classic!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually doesn't the quote refer to wall outlet voltage? "Yeah...220, 221, whatever it takes."

"Mr. Mom" is indeed very funny, mainly because Michael Keaton is very funny with the sit-comy script, not one of Hughes's best.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash.. Cindy is actually referring to a later scene in "Mr. Mom".. think Young & the Restless. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha. Got it! Two jokes that work.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Mr. Mom is a classic. The company picnic obstacle course is hilarious.

oh and..

"Kenny, don't paint your sister!"

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Keaton, in addition to being a brilliant comedic actor, is amazingly versatile. It's a shame that his career of late has been so aimless--"Herbie the Love Bug" remake, "White Noise," a small part in "The Other Guys," etc. This guy needs a new agent or something. [Smile]
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have botched the quote...I know the part where he's talking about the wiring but there's another scene...wait...I think actually Terri Garr says it in reference to a gun...my bad...but you saw where I was going with it! Great movie!! Love Keaton!!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
No, my bad. I forgot that Teri Garr has a symmetrical follow-up to the wiring line, which is my favorite line from "Mr. Mom." I love it when there are layers to a joke through repetition. See, e.g., "Return of the Pink Panther" and "A Fish Called Wanda." As I said before, I don't think that this is Hughes's best screenplay, but it is a very funny movie because of Keaton, who can singlehandedly make anything funny. And he makes it look easy too. No small task. [Smile] Did you know that he's a Pittsburgh guy who got his start working as a stagehand on "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood"?
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I say we all watch "Night Shift" and call it even!

-

"I'm an idea man Chuck, I get ideas, sometimes I get so many ideas that I can't even fight them off!"

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
"I wash my hands and my feet of you!"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home