iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Songs Forever Connected to Movies (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Songs Forever Connected to Movies
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard "Werewolves of London" on the radio this morning--"The Color of Money" is the movie.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"On the snap Vincent." Man, I can't stand her in that movie. So annoying. I could whip him at pool. He should stick with Stocker.

"The kids got a sledgehammer break." - It's honestly not that great. I think they severely overdo the zoom ins on Paul Newman in that scene.

Question for everyone:

During the opening credits someone speaks and explains the rules of 9 ball. Now I always thought that it was Tom Cruise and then I read somewhere that it's Scorsese speaking and I am like no way. That has to be Tom. Anyone know for sure?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neutron Dance from Beverly Hills Cop.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernie Lomax- here's your answer:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090863/trivia?tr=tr0650761
It's Scorsese.

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cult- Lil' Devil from Less Than Zero....
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Bernie Lomax- here's your answer:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090863/trivia?tr=tr0650761
It's Scorsese.

Thanks for that. I know that everything I have read says it's Scorsese but I still remain unconvinced. It has to be Tom talking.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Bernie. It's not Scorsese's best movie nor is it Newman's best performance either. In fact, what I remember the movie for--apart from Zevon's "Werewolves"--is that it was the year that the great Bob Hoskins in "Mona Lisa," a better performance, was positively doomed to lose to Newman for the Best Actor Oscar. Some folks even cynically suggest that "The Color of Money" was just a set-up Oscar nomination grab for Newman. (I read the same thing about Jodie Foster in "Nell" when that came out.) I don't think so, but Newman was much better in "The Verdict," for example. That's the unfairness of the Academy Awards. The membership has this goofy attitude that if it's your time--that is, you are a well-liked crony, and you've lost before--you win, no matter that it's not your best work. Hence, Scorsese's win for "The Departed," Denzel Washington for "Training Day," etc.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Melt With You-Modern English-Valley Girl

(am I the first to say it? where's val?) [Smile]

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fire With Fire from FWF
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
Never Say Never-Romeo Void-Reckless [Cool]
Crazy For You-Madonna-Vision Quest

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your love keeps lifting me higher - Ghostbusters 2
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Oddly I connect Never Say Never with Dodgeball.
Are You Ready For the Sex Girls? with Revenge of the Nerds.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
Good call DEVO-the Omega Moos were definitely "sex girls". [Smile] Gleaming Spires and Revenge of the Nerds were a match made in perfection [Smile] They did All Night Party for the movie too. It's hard to to hear songs like One Foot In Front Of The Other, Thriller and We Are The Champions without thinking Nerds. Not to mention, Bicycle Built for Two [Cool]
Blair Warner
Rewind Curious
Member # 9717

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Blair Warner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holiday Road-Vacation
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old Time Rock and Roll - "Risky Business"
The Heat Is On - "Beverly Hills Cop"
The Power of Love - "Back to the Future"
Crazy for You - "Vision Quest"
Into the Groove - "Desperately Seeking Susan"
Who's That Girl - "Who's That Girl?"
Hazy Shade of Winter - "Less Than Zero"
Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - "Mannequin"
Kokomo - "Cocktail"

Posts: 4123 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
Up Where We Belong-An Officer and a Gentleman
Call Me-American Gigolo
Leave Your Hat On-9 1/2 Weeks [Cool]

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

How about... Like to get to know you well - Howard Jones from Better off Dead.

Caught up in you - 38 Special from Spring Break

Do you wanna funk? By Sylvester from Trading Places (I played this at my wedding)

And Too Hot to Trot by The Commodores from Thank God It's Friday.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
I heard "Werewolves of London" on the radio this morning--"The Color of Money" is the movie.

Have you walked through the streets of Soho in the rain? I have but it wasn't raining. Typical, you go to London and it doesn't rain.
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Gannon:
For instance, ever hear a song that automaically makes you think of a movie?

Although the movie is from the 80's, the song is not...

"In Dreams", an early-60's song by Roy Orbison, and was used in a memorable scene in "Blue Velvet" (1986). Dean Stockwell's character (in drag) lip-synches to the tune. That scene completely changed my feelings toward that song!

[ 25. May 2011, 11:29: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I forgot about that one, Steven. What a fantastic use of a song in a movie! "Don't be a good neighbor... Because I'll send you a love letter...a bullet from a ... gun." One of Lynch's very best scenes ever.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know crash, they dont play enough zevon on the radio these days, i love werewolves of london.

bonnie tyler - holding out for a hero, i think of who's harry crumb.

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
bamersy, nearly every song on nerds, whenever i hear it makes me think of nerds
Lucas Locusts
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5826

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lucas Locusts   Email Lucas Locusts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship will always be linked with the 80's film Mannequin
Posts: 17 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
quote:

Originally posted by The Good Package:
you know crash, they dont play enough zevon on the radio these days, i love werewolves of london.

You know it. I love all his stuff, "Werewolves," "Excitable Boy," "Roland, the Headless Thompson Gunner." He was a really creative innovator--terrific ideas, often hilarious lyrics, and super music. And in the end, when he knew that he didn't have much time left, he continued on and finished one last album. I hope that I can end my life like that, on my own terms, doing something that I love.
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rawhide Blues Brothers

Surfin' Bird Back to the Beach

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home