iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » RESULTS POSTED - GENRE WARS!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: RESULTS POSTED - GENRE WARS!!!!
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - after Valley's Top 20 poll, I thought I'd use the interest generated, and start some more polls.....

This one is a poll for the following specific genres:

• Action
  • Adventure
  • Animation
  • Comedy
  • Drama
  • Family
  • Fantasy
  • Horror
  • Musical
  • Romance
  • Sci Fi
  • Sport
  • Thriller
  • War
  • Western

RULES:

1. For each genre you wish to vote for, send a [/i]separate[i] email to rewindmoviepoll@gmail.com, with the SUBJECT LINE being the genre of your list. This is important, so that I can make sure the lists are properly handled.
2. In the email, list your TOP 5 (FIVE) movies from that genre.
3. To qualify, a movie should be released in the years 1980-1989, and the genre selected MUST be listed against that movie on the IMDB. Please check this before voting, as anything that isn't in the right genre list will be disallowed.
4. Closing date for the polls will be Midnight, April 3, 2011. That gives just over two weeks, which should give everyone plenty of time to vote.
5. The scoring is simple - 5 points for a first place vote, down to one point for a fifth place vote. In the event of a tie, the movie with the most individual votes wins, then most first places, etc.
6. Once the polls close, I'll try to get the results up soon as I can.

Feel free to discuss genres on this thread, but please do not post your lists here before the results are posted as a) they won't count, and b) you'll spoil the poll.

OK.... looking forward to your votes!

[ 15. April 2011, 15:05: Message edited by: P a u l ]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, that was darn quick work. This looks pretty cool. I am gonna take my time with this one so I can truely give my definitive list. I may have been slightly hasty on Valley's thread, but not by much.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just edited the rules slightly, to make clear that I need a separate email for each genre.

I know that this might seem like a pain in the butt, but I've set up the email process to sort the different genres for me, and it only works if the email subject is as requested.

I'll try to fix any that don't work though...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Separate E-mails. Man that is gonna put a major dent in my bandwidth [Razz]
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Thanks for stealing my Genre Wars title.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

It's just a loaner, Devo. You can get it back once I'm through with it....

[Big Grin]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Paul, what if the movie is two different genres?

I am just looking at a movie (I won't say which one) and it is classifed on IMDb as Action and Sci-Fi.

I know that this comment is hard to get by, but IMDb have no idea how to classify movies properly. For example there are some obvious fantasy movies that are not classified as fantasy but are classified as, action, adventure, drama. I understand that a movie can fall under may categories, but at least they could put, action, adventure, drama, fantasy.

And do we Email them from our own email adresses or is there a way to email them from the board?

[ 15. March 2011, 18:33: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

If the movie is two different genres on IMDB, then it can be voted for in each genre. You could vote for it more than once if you wanted to. However, if the IMDB do not classify a movie in a particular genre, then it can't go into that pot. Whether they are right or wrong. It gives us an independent classification, which will help overall.

And you'll need to mail them from your address direct. It won't be used for anything else, and as I have access to them as an admin anyway, I'm subject to the same data protection controls as the main site.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
OK. Thanks for the clarification,
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so what about something like the princess Bride - fantasy, advernture, action, comedy, family - its listed as family, adventure and comedy with imdb??

Or

Should we leave it up to the intelligence of the rewinders to put the movies into the most suitable catagory??

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Princess Bride is listed as Adventure, Comedy, Family, Fantasy, Romance on IMDB. It can go in any or all of those.

The reason I'm not suggesting that people just pick the category they want is that people view movies differently. What is a horror to one person may be an action movie to anpother, a drama to a third, etc. Having a readily available external list against each movie is the best way to make sure that everyone starts at the same point, and I'd be using it as reference against each movie anyway.

Additional : You forget that I know most of you - intelligence don't always appear in the mix... [Smile]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think it would be worth mentioning for people not familiar with IMDb, is that up the top of the page to the right of the movie picture will appear the certain genres, but be sure to look further down the page under Genres: where it usually list more genres than it does at the top of the page.
Billie Jean
Rewinder
Member # 9525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Billie Jean   Email Billie Jean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to make sure on the email address to send our gene war list. I noticed last time for the top 20.... it was hotmail now we send to the same email but at gmail. rewindmoviepoll@gmail or hotmail?
Posts: 42 | From: Stockton, California | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Billie Jean..

The correct email address for the GENRE WARS poll is:

rewindmoviepoll@gmail.com

The gmail goes to Paul who is tabulating the GENRE WARS .. the hotmail sends it to me who handled the Rewind movie poll top 20. If I receive any by mistake..I will definitely forward to the proper email.

Good question

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Who's brain is going into overdrive/anxiety mode trying to formulate this list. It is very tricky if you really want to try your hardest to submit your best list. I am maybe around the half way mark.

I think we also need to do an ALL TIME GENRE WARS ALSO. Mainly cos the best westerns are from the 60s and 70s.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finding this a tad complex. Not only do half the categories step on each others toes, but some of them ('family') mean nothing at all to me (I know what a family film is, but it covers soooo many types). And really, 'action' and 'adventure'? Ok, I understand splitting them... but it hurts man.

Also - musicals; there were so few musicals released in the 80's that you can't really have a 'top 5', just a '5' because the competition is so thin. Same goes for westerns.

Don't get mad and stuff... I don't want my nipples to disappear like in that other thread... I'm just sayin'.

[ 17. March 2011, 06:32: Message edited by: Logan 5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I hear ya dude. I am strugglin with musicals but I thought, hey wait a minuter, Johnny Dangerously could go in at number one there, and then consult the IMDb Nazis and get shot down.
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No point me voting, only The Karate Kid would make it [Razz]

But then again maybe not cos I'd put it under Drama, some people might choose sport or family hehe [Razz]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
No point me voting, only The Karate Kid would make it [Razz]

But then again maybe not cos I'd put it under Drama, some people might choose sport or family hehe [Razz]

You're just blinded by the complexity!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

My bad for creding you lot with common sense.....

[Razz] [Big Grin]

Part one of the plan is working - it's making you all think about what movies you like and what they actually say....

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Part one of the plan is working - it's making you all think about what movies you like and what they actually say....
If that was your plan... it's working!
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im liking this idea of different genres...ill have a huge think Paul and email you. Putting pen to paper tonight my friend.

quote:
You're just blinded by the complexity!
LOL ROFL HAHAHA
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
i am just in stitches over everyone (yes and me too) making this more complicated than it really is...but i love a good puzzle to solve...just picturing all of you on here tryin to figure out what movie goes where and why - this is just HILARIOUS!! ROFL can imagine you all writting stuff down like me and arguing with your self, IMD, PAUL and the universe.
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
No point me voting, only The Karate Kid would make it
After looking at your top 20 Helen i think its safe to say ud want to put KK KK2 KK3 in all the genres LOL [Karate Kid] [Karate Kid] [Karate Kid]
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by oneyedwilly:
im liking this idea of different genres...ill have a huge think Paul and email you. Putting pen to paper tonight my friend.

you do know that if you write it down on paper, I don't think it will reach my email inbox?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home