iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Halloween 3 Season of the Witch was great (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Halloween 3 Season of the Witch was great
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is a post to support a excellent movie that seems to get bad rap all the time. After halloween 1 this is the next best in the series.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9144

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jack Gannon   Email Jack Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to tune in for the "Big Give Away"
Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm one of the people that give it a bad rap. My problem is that even though I was warned by a friend the story would be different.. it was just beyond comprehension that "Halloween III" would put the 'III' on the end of it with no relation to the first two films. Why not make it a standalone movie and then maybe I would have given it more of a chance on release.

GP, there are several folks that seemed to view "Halloween III" similar to you on here. My question to those folks that really enjoy it is: Did any of you actually see it in the theater when it was originally released on October 22, 1982?

From your comments.. it sounds like I need to give it another chance.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9144

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jack Gannon   Email Jack Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Valley I discovered it on DVD, and I have to say that it is one of my favorite horror films. Carpenter's 80's style film making and music cannot be beat. Tom Atkins is good as your heroic everyman. It is different than Halloween One, rather than One crazy killer, you have that conspiracy evil emotionless task force. And a very unique bad guy plot. You should watch agian, because it gets better for me with each viewing
Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did see it in a theatre on opening day, now over 28 years ago! As I recall, it left the small audience pretty cold, most likely because it isn't like I or II. I'm somewhere in between you on it, Jack/GP and Valley. I give it plus points for trying something different and giving Tommy Atkins, one of my favorite character actors, a leading role (and a love scene, no less!). And once you hear that little jingle, you'll never forget it. [Smile] But Tommy Lee Wallace, while a competent director, is not Carpenter, and it's just missing that je ne sais quoi. There's a more modern film from a couple of years ago that, while different from "Season of the Witch" plot-wise, gave me a similar feeling: "Trick 'r' Treat," a movie with a lot of good, different things going for it that doesn't quite make the most of them and just misses the mark.

[ 22. February 2011, 11:56: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9144

Member Rated:
Speaking of the Jingle, i recently just purchased the soundtrack, I collect them anyway, but had to have this one.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to have the jingle, Jack. I could use it for a lot of things--cell phone ring tone, door bell, Windows start-up chime, calling the dog, annoying people in the office... [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didnt get to see it when it opened. and you have a good point about the three, but i remember hearing that it was carpenter's idea to do a different halloween story with each sequel. nevertheless uniquly scary
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Halloween 1 and 3 are the only ones worthy of high praise imo. When I think of the series I see Myers and Silver Shamrock respectively and then a whole lot of sh*te [Razz] which makes me find myself groaning a little when I hear people complain that it wasn't a Myers film. Seriously who needed more of them, after the first it was done [Razz]

[ 22. February 2011, 15:30: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

GP, there are several folks that seemed to view "Halloween III" similar to you on here. My question to those folks that really enjoy it is: Did any of you actually see it in the theater when it was originally released on October 22, 1982?

From your comments.. it sounds like I need to give it another chance.

No I hadn't quite turned 3 yet [Razz]

But when I did watch it I did so not knowing it wasn't gonna be a Myers film and adored it straight away [Big Grin]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My point is in 1982 .. people wanted more Michael Myers .. so when they got "Halloween III: The Season of the Witch" they were mainly disappointed and felt as though they had been tricked instead of treated.

I understand as the years have passed, that positioned might have softened and obviously it has developed a loyal fan base that apparently got the message it was conveying at the end. My thought is it never got a chance in 1982 because the first two Halloween flicks were still fresh and all the buzz.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
They shouldn't have wanted more after that second *Scarpers*

[Razz]

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey i like part II helen! [Smile] for some reason, it's one of my favorite 80s movies...i remember it being on cable a lot.
and i also like part 3. i don't think i had an opinion on it as a kid, but being older, i enjoy it, and completely agree about the music.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I'll forgive ya hehe [Razz]
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think this movie would have received so much flack if they had just put Myers to rest after part 2 which they should have done. Instead they kept bringing him back in 4, 5..and all the other pointless sequels that follow. But I agree also a little in saying if they had just taken the Halloween name off the film and just called it "Season of the Witch"..it probably would have been less confusing to fans of the franchise.

But I do enjoy this film quite a bit for what it is. It has a great creepy story that keeps the suspense factor at a good level. The music is just as cool and creepy as in the previous films. And it has some cool 80's style special effects that never gets old to any true 80's fanatic.

Overall a good horror film sadly and unjustly bashed just because of it's title.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
The original "Halloween" is my fav horror flick of all-time. While I'm not quite as big a fan of "Halloween II", I totally think it is a worthy sequel and understand why Ronnie enjoys it so much.
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyromantic:
I really don't think this movie would have received so much flack if they had just put Myers to rest after part 2 which they should have done. Instead they kept bringing him back in 4, 5..and all the other pointless sequels that follow. But I agree also a little in saying if they had just taken the Halloween name off the film and just called it "Season of the Witch"..it probably would have been less confusing to fans of the franchise.

But I do enjoy this film quite a bit for what it is. It has a great creepy story that keeps the suspense factor at a good level. The music is just as cool and creepy as in the previous films. And it has some cool 80's style special effects that never gets old to any true 80's fanatic.

Overall a good horror film sadly and unjustly bashed just because of it's title.

Very good points there Pyro, i agree completely.

Halloween III a very good movie and i remember when we listened the soundtrack back in the day
and that is some scary stuff, even without the movie [Big Grin]
Nothing can beat the Carpenter/Howarth duo!

And Tom Atkins... this man is a legend.

I also love Halloween II. Helen, tell us why do you hate it.
I love the way they did falling from the balcony and then the disappering.
Great, desperate feelings on the faces of Pleasence/Curtis.
Why can´t you kill this guy!!??

And yeah, i could have lived without parts IV ->
although i enjoy watching them.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9144

Member Rated:
I'll tell you why i wasn't such a big fan of halloween II, because it seemed that Donald Pleasance wasn't really given any new dialogue. I think he repeated his speeches about Mike Myers twice in the film, which after seeing it done so well in the first wasn't really needed agian.

The characters were a little bland in this one, and it seemed kind of boring.

But the third and most imporant thing for me was that, Mike Myers unlike Jason Vorhees was better as a one time killer. It left more of an era mystery, to leave him where he was after number one. When he took all those shots, and suddenly got up and walked away, it was that perfect eerie feeling of he's still out there.

Part of what made Friday the 13th movies good for me, was that Jason was a little more beast than human, sort of a feral man who didn't know his own strength. Who stalked a certain stretch of woods to get revenge for his dead mother. And the characters were a little more interesting. However I think those films should have ended with Friday IV, the Final Chapter.

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eeeh, the people that actually likes this flick, did you watch the same movie I watched..... [Confused]
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call Halloween 3 "great," but it had it's moments. I thought the killer masks were pretty creepy and the shamrock song always manages to stick in my head. Not one of those movies I would ever watch over and over though, even in October.

H2 was a hot mess of a movie in a lot of ways but I still love it [Smile]

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'll also clarify my views on Halloween II. I'm not actually saying I enjoyed the movie as a whole, cuz I didn't. I too felt the movie was kinda bland and it seemed to drag out a story that was already told in the first film. What I'm saying is Halloween II worked as a good closure for the Michael Myers character. Which is why I still feel they should have ended him there. Not only this but Halloween II is still among my fav openings in the series. Even the way they did the jack-o-lantern shot with the opening credits was pretty kick ***.

And as far as the later sequels, (4, 5..ect), I still feel they were pretty uneccessary. Kinda like what the rest of the Friday the 13th sequels after part IV were....pointless. The only good thing I can see about Halloween 4 & 5 is Jamie (Danielle Harris.) As far as child actors go in horror films, I think she did a fine job in this role. Her performance might have been a little over the top at some points, but overall, she still remains the only reason I even still watch these sequels from time to time.

And this brings up another interesting point. I'm also torn here in my little rant because I liked the ending to part 4 as well. That shot of Jamie standing there with the bloody scissors in hand and Loomis screaming "NOOOO!" was pretty awesome too, possibly the best ending in the series, and it could have worked in it's own way for closing out the series too...does anyone agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEllT1RHqa8&sns

[ 23. February 2011, 15:33: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked the halloween series in general, 1, 2, 3 (sans micahel), 4, 5, i actually have grown to somewhat like 6, because it's not as horrible as halloween resurrection, which i like to pretend never existed....and i did like halloween H20.
i was always a michael myers fan, compared to freddy and jason. but of course, i feel the original is still the best.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
haha..i agree ronnie..resurrection was pretty gawd awful.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Hey Ronnie, what gives? You where right there with me in the slagging off of part 4 just a few months ago [Mad] [Razz]
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll defend Halloween 3. I saw it on TV, and when it became clear it wasn't a Myers movie I found myself enjoying it even more. I think the concept of a differently-plotted Halloween movie was a good one. The movie wasn't amazing, but good.

2 is ok, but as someone said; there's a lot of repetition. Still, enjoyable enough as a sequel.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home