iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Fire With Fire - Passion from the Crypt Edition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fire With Fire - Passion from the Crypt Edition
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So.. whata.. studying to be a nun?"

-

Meet Joe Fisk (Craig Sheffer).. a detention camp teenager.. when he first sees the beautifully angelic Lisa (Virginia Madsen) in the woods during a camp exercise, he completely falls for her. He doesn’t know her name or where she’s from, but with the help of his best friend Myron (JJ Cohen) he soon discovers that she probably attends a nearby Catholic school.

-

Later that day, Lisa and her best friend go to the movies together and while joking outside ("I'm an elf in a black bra") they notice the reformatory camp bus pulling up. As the boys step off the bus, Lisa can’t believe her eyes: it’s the guy from the woods! Throughout the horror movie playing at the theater, the two can’t take their eyes off each other. It’s only eyes for the time being as Joe is stuck with the reformatory group and can't even sit with Lisa and her friend.

Back at Immaculate Hearts School For Girls.. the class is discussing ideas for their annual ‘help the community’ project. This is when Lisa unleashes an unconventional plan to invite the boys from the reformatory camp over for a dance with the hopes of meetIng this Joe Fisk guy.

From this point on is when the movie turns amazing in my opinion. The dance is fantastic and there is so much to enjoy.

-

Like what girl wouldn't want to dance with this entertaining bunch?

Virginia Madsen once stated that she had a thing for D.B. Sweeney while making this movie.. I just can't see it especially with the apparent chemistry between Madsen and Sheffer in the movie.

-

The tunes and the scenes between Lisa and Joe at the dance are incredible. The conversation is hilarious, but when they finally intertwine the intensity of their passion for each other is quite evident.

-

I do have a few questions though:

1. Is it a good idea to take a group of troubled teens at an Honor Camp to see "Friday The 13th: A New Beginning"?

2. Has anyone really ever seen an Elf in a black bra?

3. Where did the Sisters from the Immaculate Hearts School For Girls acquire so many incredible tunes for the dance?

4. Was the blonde guy with those wicked breakdancing moves an extra in the movie "Footloose" as well?

5. Bit By Bit.. really? Was John Cocktosen at the dance as Robert Redford?

6. Do you think Lisa should have been concerned that the nun receptionist might have still been listen to this phone call..

-

"JooooooeeeeeFrank"

7. I hope the stunt doubles at end of the movie were paid extra for that feat! Not really a question.. just awesome!

Finally.. you get that I enjoy this flick, but I have to list some of the tunes that along with the enchanting music score by Howard Shore helped make so many scenes from the film memorable.

Soundtrack:

Fire with Fire – Wild Blue
Computer Blue – Prince
Bit by Bit – Stephanie Mills
Heart of Rock and Roll – Huey Lewis and the News
Slave to Love – Bryan Ferry
If Anybody Had a Heart – John Waite
I’m in it For Love – James House
From Nags to Witches – Winston Sharples

"Are you studying to be a crook?"

I really want anyone that has a passion for "Fire With Fire" to share their thoughts as well. If you've never seen it.. it is currently available on Netflix instant watch.

[ 19. February 2011, 21:34: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tiffany   Email Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You Americans and your better Netflix options! Still can't get anything good in Canada! I think if this movie was available on Netflix here I would sign up just for that movie alone thats how badly I want it LOL.
Love the questions Valley. The first one made me laugh the most but maybe thats just because I work in a similar area. I know where I work we sure wouldn't be showing Friday The 13th.

Posts: 74 | From: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this available on two different VHS versions instant watch
so does that count? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Question #8. Do they have a different version of Bit By Bit? It's a little odd to have the theme song of Fletch in the movie? Or do they take out the lyrics "Fletch is working overtime"?

This needs to be evaluated.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved it. This was one of those 'best kept secret' type of movies that has now become well-known (amongst 80's fans, at least). Yet still we have no DVD. I like the 'Passion From the Crypt', but I'm really hoping for the 'Photographing Ophelia' edition.

quote:
Question #8. Do they have a different version of Bit By Bit? It's a little odd to have the theme song of Fletch in the movie? Or do they take out the lyrics "Fletch is working overtime"?
It's the standard version. It was a pop hit back in the day, so it makes some sense for them to play it at a dance.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been on my list for quite some time...I've never seen it. Anyone know where I can get a copy at a reasonable price?
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
terrific post, valley. great movie!

"So.. whata.. studying to be a nun?

haha you know joe was asking, hoping to hear lisa say "no." [Wink]

oh but she sure got him back, right?

"Are you studying to be a crook?"

this was joe's face ---> [Embarrassed]

aaahhh the music in this movie is awesome.

valley, i used to watch this movie on cable back in the day, with my mother. i remember my mom loving the song 'slave to love.' i don't remember hearing this song anywhere on my local radio stations or in any other films?

remember the movie 50 first dates with adam sandler and drew barrymore? the soundtrack featured reggae cover versions of 80s songs.. one of them was slave to love, by Elan Atias featuring Gwen Stefani, singing the female background vocals including the "na-na na, na" bit. [Smile]
i can't say i love the cover, but it's attempt is sweet and i was glad to see someone chose to cover that wonderful song.
Slave To Love feat. Gwen Stefani

the main titled song, fire with fire by wild blue is a great rock tune, played during the dance scene and again at the end of the movie.
all the titled songs in the movie are all in that one dance scene, right? the rest of the movie is just score music.

the dance is also my favorite scene because up until that part, joe and lisa only catch small glimpses of one another, but still manage to feel that intense attraction towards each other and when they finally come face to face at the dance, (fire with fire is playing in the background) they solidify their feelings in that 'stare' they share. [Smile]

quote:
Virginia Madsen once stated that she had a thing for D.B. Sweeney while making this movie.. I just can't see it especially with the apparent chemistry between Madsen and Sheffer in the movie.
maybe it's a bad boy thing... antonio sabato jr., hello?? j/k..

here's a blog dedicated to the movie. it has some details on some of the other actors in the movie, including great pics:

fire-with-fire.blogspot

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of my favorite romance movies of the 80s. The chemistry between Craig Sheffer and Virginia Madsen is so powerfully portrayed on screen that you cannot help but fall in love with them. The accompanying music absolutely doesn't hurt either. It is a great shame that this doesn't exist on DVD or CD format. I was hoping with the resurrgence of Virginia Madsen's career with Sideways that some of her older stuff would now be available. To my dismay, and many others, this is still not a reality.

I keep hoping that one day when I am thumbing through the $5 bin at Wal-Mart I will come across it. If I would I think I would scream outloud with joy and everyone would think that I was crazy. If anyone has not seen this gem then they are totally missing out on something absolutely amazing. I am not a big Craig Sheffer fan but this is most definitely my favorite film of his. He has such a vulnerability that is easy to fall in love with; and Virginia Madsen is just a goddess!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still one of my all-time faves from the 80's..... enough said!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For any "Fire With Fire" fan that hasn't checked out the blog that Ronnie posted .. you totally need to do so.

I remember wondering who the guy was that reported the fake snake in the kitchen to Mr. Washington so that Joe could call Lisa.. well, his name is Ian Tracey and he's be in a ton of stuff over the years. There is a great write-up in the blog.

I enjoy all the tunes during the dance scenes in "Fire With Fire" .. but for some reason .. this one was be on my mind quite a bit lately:

- (play)

[Cool]

[ 18. March 2011, 10:14: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, Ian Tracey is one of Canada's best loved TV stars. He was mesmerizing in DaVinci's Inquest (best Canadian TV drama ever) and Intelligence. He just has the kind of face to be either a cop or a bad guy. Great, unsung, working actor.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley told me about this thread when he started it-better late than never! Here's a couple fan pages I started:

You must be a member of and signed in to FaceBook to see this one-otherwise it will just take you to the sign in page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112962008717597&ref=nf

For MySpace, there's only like 3 members [Smile]

http://www.myspace.com/fire-with-fire

aTomik-are your versions the same, or does one have scenes the other doesn't?

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Better late than never Bamersy.. I totally knew that you had a page dedicated to it.

I just clicked on "Slave to Love" above and it immediately took me back to the intense feelings that I experienced the last time I watched "Fire With Fire".. just an awesome feeling ya know! [Cool]

Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In It For Love" is my fave from the movie-"Slave to Love" belongs to 9 1/2 Weeks for me [Smile]
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I never cared much for "9 1/2 Weeks" .. so it stays with "Fire With Fire" for me.

But, I will give "Bit By Bit" to "Fletch" if that helps!

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen this one but I want too.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bamersy:

aTomik-are your versions the same, or does one have scenes the other doesn't?

It´s the same print.
Damn i love that Wild Blue end credits tune!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'm convinced there's a missing scene-the one depicted on the cover. I seem to remember it taking place in between them getting to the cabin and going to bed for the night. It may have been in the theater, and I know I watched it on HBO too back in the day. Then again, I may have been dreaming [Smile]
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wild Blue's "Fire with Fire" is one of my favorite 80's soundtrack songs of all time! So powerful....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGpO-2gr6PU&feature=related

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eclipse72
Rewind Curious
Member # 9991

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for eclipse72   Email eclipse72   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link to this thread.

I cannot get enough of this movie and I've been watching it non stop since its been on Netflix. The qualify on Netflix is very good except for the sound..its not in HD so you need to turn your speakers up. The video is great quality. It is on youtube but I am not sure the quality if that great.

Craig Sheffer was SOOOO hot in this movie.
I heard him and Virginia had no chemistry at all in real life and thay she did not particulary care for him. I hope that is not true but what a great movie.

Craig was also good in Babycakes...another fave and it is on youtube in very good quality. It is in 10 parts..just look for Babycakes 01 02 and so forth.

I am not sure what happened with his career. Seems like he has done some real bombs and made for TV stuff. I watched him just recently in Psych or Criminal minds, on netflix. He does not look the same (but then who does 25 years later)but you can tell its him.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eclipse72
Rewind Curious
Member # 9991

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for eclipse72   Email eclipse72   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am wondering where was the boys camp filmed? Looks like the school scenes were done at Catholic schools according to credits and imdb...one I recognize from the movie. Seems like the boys prison camp was set up really well..barracks and all. Where was that part filmed?

I love this film sooo much I would not mind going on a tour of the filming spots. I was in Vancouver too about 9 years ago and totally forgot to check out where this was filmed.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David_J
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37430

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for David_J   Email David_J   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A absolutely gem of a movie I thought it was so good I watched this the other day such a great movie. I remember looking for it years ago on DVD but never found a copy of it it's definitely a film I would love to own and definitely worth watching to.
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home