iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » Ŧ 80's Movies » Poltergeist 1, II & III (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Poltergeist 1, II & III
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched 1 and 2 last year afer a long time. I dunno, they seem a bit childish looking at 'em now, sub-par.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Poltergeist II: The Other Side again and it was a decent sequel.

All the main actors are back except Dominique Dunne of course (RIP)
Jerry Goldsmith composed the score once again but this time itīs not that memorable.

The movie takes place one year after the first Poltergeist movie
but in the real world it came four years later.
You can see that the actors are older, especially Oliver Robins who played Robbie.
And he reads MAD magazine instead of Captain America [Smile]

The special effects look very cool, the tequila worm monster is amazing!
Julian Beck is great as Kane and i liked Will Sampson.

But something is missing. Maybe it was too childish like Helen said.
It just isnīt scary enough.

This was more successful than i thought, budget 19 mil. gross 40 mil.
Now i understand why they made a third one [Smile]

btw, this monster was created by H.R. Giger so no wonder itīs awesome:

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atomik! How did you get my picture?! [Mad]
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks aTomik. i read this post in the middle of the night before going to sleep, and your picture popped up and nice and big on my screen haha....i literally cringed! that creature freaks me out. blech! haha [Eek!]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Ronnie [Cool] Donīt let Logan get into your dreams [Wink]
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Sorry Ronnie [Cool] Donīt let Logan get into your dreams [Wink]

No, do... you won't regret it [Wink]
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Poltergeist III last night.
It wasnīt as bad as i thought it would be but it wasnīt good either.

This time Heather O'Rourke and Zelda Rubinstein were the only original cast members to return.

Carol Anne (Heather O'Rourke) has been sent to live in Chicago with Diane's sister Pat (Nancy Allen),
her husband Bruce Gardner (Tom Skerritt) and his daughter Donna (Lara Flynn Boyle)
They live in this new hi-tech skyscraper (Chicago's 100-story John Hancock Center) of which Bruce is the manager.

The beginning is pretty good including some family scenes, school stuff and the skyscraper is a very nice location for a horror flick.
Iīve always loved Nancy Allen and Flynn Boyle looks cute.

But it all goes downhill after reverend Kane comes laughing again.
(Now played by Nathan Davis because Julien Beck died during the making of the second movie).
After that itīs the same old same old.
You can see some cool mirror tricks but thatīs about it.

The score composed by Joe Renzetti sucks when compared to Jerry Goldsmith melodies.
I hate those cheap "thrill" sounds/effects.

O'Rourke was very ill during the filming and died four months before the film was released.
That explains why it feels like Allen and Skerritt are the real stars of the movie.
We can see them kissing a lot.

Spoiler alert!

The story ends nicely when Tangina manages to convince Kane to go into the Light with her.
Donna, Bruce and Carol Anne are returned to Pat from the other side.
But after that the final scene shows lightning flashing over the building and Kane's laughter is heard.
Why did they do this? Did they still think that they can make movie number four?
So stupid.

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re-watched Poltergeist I earlier this year - obviously, great iconic film that has been discussed many times over the years. "They're back!" obviously became a well-known catch-phrase as a result of the film.

And, I just watched Poltergeist II in in it's entirety for the first time. Wow - amazing sequel! Though not as good or iconic as the original, this was a very well-done horror flick, and actually was more disturbing than the original because of several aspects:

-The freaky-looking insane ghost preacher, played by the late Julian Beck. Wow - that dude was creepy as he$$!! He definitely looked like he was half-dead - and I don't think he was wearing any make-up - LOL. He also played a small but memorable role in Season 2, Episode 1 of "Miami Vice" (1985).

-The "vomit creature" that came out of Craig T. Nelson's mouth & transformed into first a demon-like corpse, and then a huge worm-like creature; apparently this was the tequila worm that he accidentally swallowed - quite sickening. The creature definitely looked like something that would have come from the H.P. Lovecraft "Call of Cthulu" mythology.

-The scene where the brother's braces started to attack him - weird. I used to wear braces as a kid, so I'm glad I never saw this film when I was wearing them - LOL.

Need to watch III at some point soon as well.

It's unfortunate that both Heather O'Rourke & Dominique Dunne (the older sister in the first film) died in '82 & '88, respectively. Extremely tragic death for the little cherubic O'Rourke, and an extremely horrific & violent death for Dominique - very sad in both cases. I just found out about Domnique's death re: this thread; after doing some research, I also found out she was 22 when she did Poltergeist I, even though she played a high school sophomore?! in the movie - she obviously looked a lot younger than she actually was.

I was wondering why Dominique didn't return for Poltergeist II - but I figured her character was in college by that point.

It's interesting that back in the '80's, I wasn't even aware of Heather O'Rourke's death, Domnique's death, or even the fact that there was a Poltergeist II or III. I was only aware of the first film and that's it.

[ 12. November 2016, 09:45: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Heather's death was very apparent because she and I would have been the same age. (41) Child actors dying is always scarring because you don't think that someone your age that young can die.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Poltergeist III for the first time. Amazing horror film - IMHO this is almost as good as II - well done.

The effects re: the demonic-like Carole Anne were quite creepy, as were all of the other effects re: seeing people in the mirror who weren't "actually there", etc. It was interesting to set the film in a large high-rise instead of a house, and this set this apart from the previous two films.

One of the most horrific scenes was when Tangina (Zelda Rubinstein) became a corpse-like creature, and Donna (Lara Flynn Boyle) came "out" of her, screaming (though it wasn't actually her). Quite grotesque.

Too bad that Julian Beck had passed away several years earlier, and couldn't reprise his role as the crazed ghost preacher Kane from II. The guy they chose to replace him was OK, but not nearly as creepy as Beck would have been.

Heather O'Rourke was about 4-5 years younger than me, so for whatever reason I just wasn't aware of her passing at the time. It's very possible I saw an article/clip on this in the newspaper back in '88 (this was pre-Internet, obviously) but if so I've completely forgotten about this.

She was a great actress, and I can't imagine anyone other than her playing that role. If she had lived, I wonder if she would have stopped acting after III, or if she would have continued to act as an adult (many child actors get typecast). Too bad we'll never know.

[ 12. November 2016, 18:55: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home