iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » How many of us are watching crappy MTV these days?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many of us are watching crappy MTV these days?
Razor
Rewind Curious
Member # 453

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Razor   Email Razor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well..im not!! They only..and i mean ONLY play rap crap music all day long! Or perhaps some pop music..My God! What is happening to the music scene these days? Where's the "real" good solid rock music?? I want the 80's back [Smile]

[ 23. May 2011, 05:33: Message edited by: P a u l ]

Posts: 8 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razor, I don't even watch VH1 anymore. It is no longer the "adult alternative" to MTV. They don't play hardly any more R&B like they used to. VH1 Classic is good sometimes, but they play too much obscure stuff I've never heard of.

Something I noticed during the "I Love the 80s" thing, so many of the pop stars back then were older. Kenny Roges, Lionel, Foreigner, Mr. Mister, Huey Lewis. They were all early 30s to 40s, and it never bothered me. Today it seems that demographics matter more than good music, so they keep cranking out these teen bands or solos. I'm like, "How much younger are they going to go?? 10 year olds??"

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Powerstroke
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 436

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Powerstroke   Author's Homepage   Email Powerstroke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing and i mean the the ONLY thing i watch on MTV is the osbourne's cause it is ozzy he was in the 80's. Besides that mtv is crap all that rap and pop crap. They should make a station that just plays good rock, country, western and bluegrass music.
Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God i am not the only one that noticed Mtv sux these days. I am not a fan of cRAP at all. I'm not even a fan of this so called new rock, Strokes, Hives, Vines, etc.

And what happened to guitar solos?

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, I watch MTV...for about a second when I'm channel-surfing.

Give me VH1 Classic anyday.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...the Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
dancer
Rewind Curious
Member # 702

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for dancer   Email dancer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't watch mtv anymore but I do watch VH1 classics.
Posts: 7 | From: IL | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right on dancer. vh1 classic is awesome.

and eddie, i totally agree and was wondering the same damn thing. guitar solos!!
wtf happened??!!??!!$%^&*()*&^

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MTV lost it's "touch" a long, long time ago. I'm sick of their bad shows and horrible videos that all look and sound the same! Godforbid they actualy play some music once and awhile and live up to the name Music Television. Instead here in the U.S. it's just propaganda for the teenyboppers. What an awful channel.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Razor
Rewind Curious
Member # 453

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Razor   Email Razor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah!! MTV has been a crappy shithole channel since 1994 or so! Where's the guitarrs..and all the electricity?!!´
I miss the 80's so bad!...

Posts: 8 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaBanana
Rewinder
Member # 41

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnnaBanana   Email AnnaBanana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coming home from high school and watching MTV in the early 80's was the best. It was a compleeeetely different animal back then. The videos got a chance to be creative since they didn't just have the CG and shaky cameras to fall back on as they do these days. They didn't PLAY THE SAME VIDEO TWICE AN HOUR (Aaargh!!), and nearly 10 out of 10 times you could turn on the channel and actually SEE videos. Nowadays if it's not simply rap or pop, as stated above (or one of these bland young women with long curly hair singing their bland ballads), it's a commercial or SOME STUPID SHOW. It's not that I can't stand any new music, or that I adored every single band/song from back then....but...but...I know you people know what I mean!!!! Oh yeah, and someone please boycott Avril Lavigne. Please?
Posts: 36 | From: Northern California | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! I know exactly what you are trying to say AnnaBanana! I also agree with getting rid of Avril Lavigne! She may right her own songs but that does my no means make her a good talent. Her lyrics are as Britney and Christina-ish as you can get. Just because she wears a small tie and army fatigues does not make her "punk" (as she thinks she is). Anyway, enough about her. Is there anything anybody likes about MTV?
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hairbands8089
Senior Rewinder
Member # 216

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Hairbands8089   Author's Homepage   Email Hairbands8089   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with all replies. MTV is absolute crap and should be taken off the air. It is a completely different thing than in the 80's. VH1 Behind the Music is still a very good show. There needs to be more episodes on some Hairbands such as Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, RATT, Warrant, etc. Agree?
Posts: 53 | From: South Louisiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Razor
Rewind Curious
Member # 453

Rate Member
I totally agree! Hairbands rule!! I don't care much about what people think about those bands..but they have made the BEST rock music..ever! And there should be more 80's videos, all day long..all the time! How about we start a new channel..called "Rock Show"? :)
Hairbands8089
Senior Rewinder
Member # 216

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Hairbands8089   Author's Homepage   Email Hairbands8089   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds pretty stokin! The music of today such as Eminem, etc. is a complete joke. I bet Michael Hutchence, and the guy from the Cutting Crew are spinning in their graves right now!
Posts: 53 | From: South Louisiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbowbrite
Rewind Curious
Member # 1042

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for rainbowbrite   Email rainbowbrite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont much care for hairbands and i dont much care for MTV music pop rap hip hop MEH! Emo and hardcore is where its at...
Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirbo
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 304

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kirbo   Author's Homepage   Email Kirbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, its really interesting hearing all these different oppinions here. I am 17 and I admore the 80's, even more than my teen years from the 90's onwards and would have loved to have grown up in the 80's...but as I am like growing up in this age I watch allot of Mtv and am into current music and movies to. I like Mtv, I think there isn't a fare variety anymore though. Because it is very americanised and simply reduced to this...Hip hop (club stuff) Rnb and rock.
And if it isn't that is the all american teeny stuff, Britney Spears etc

Posts: 15 | From: south shields | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marius350
Rewinder
Member # 342

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marius350   Email Marius350   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 19 years old and didn't get a chance to live in the 80's or even know how it really was, but I'm fascinated with everything in that era! I love 80's music (especially SYNTH-POP). Just from seeing clips and videos from the 80's MTV, makes me think how great the channel was. Music was something else back then, also something you can dance to. Videos were oustanding then too, they really used their imagination(for ex. Take On Me: A-Ha & I Ran: A Flock Of Seagulls). Anymore all you see on MTV are rappers who show off their Bentleys and Lamborghinis or whatever fancy cars they may posses. It just seems it's not about the music anymore. I would have to say that my generation consists of degenrates (for the most part, few exceptions here and there) that dont understand the beautiful music that there once was in the 80's. 80's was home to the best dance(synthesizer bands) and rock (hairbands) music ever! In my opinion the music of today which is vulgar rap is a type of music which any normal uneducated person can listen to (and we all know there is an abundance of them in the world). I just don't think my generation comprehends great songs of the past therefore they seek this idiotic form of music where it's necessary to curse in order to get a platinum record. To me that's not music its garbage right along with MTV!
Posts: 38 | From: Hazleton, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaBanana
Rewinder
Member # 41

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnnaBanana   Email AnnaBanana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent post, Marius! :)
Posts: 36 | From: Northern California | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
zootgirl
Rewind Curious
Member # 1231

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for zootgirl   Email zootgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i quite watching MTv about 5 mounths ago and i dont think im going to start up again ever
Posts: 2 | From: weymouth.ma.usa | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I'm gonna say about this...is this:

I discontinued my own basic-cable TV service back in 1998. The monthly Cable-TV bill was becoming too expensive for me, so I downgraded it to the cheapest package available.

This means I now get only the local channels, plus the public access channels, plus the city/county government channel, though I do get MSNBC, The International Channel, and C-SPAN (a *REAL* "reality-TV" network).

But that also meant no more CNN, no Weather Channel, no E! Channel, no Comedy Central, no A&E, no Sci-Fi channel, no ESPN, and especially no VH-1 or MTV (or, as I call it, "Empty V").

And I feel that I haven't missed anything.
:-)

So, to those who can't stand to watch crappy MTV or anything music-related nowadays, just do what I did:

Downgrade (or cheap-grade) your cable package, to eliminate all music-related channels. You'll save money and your sanity. And you'll feel better for it.

End of sermon. Amen!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Razor
Rewind Curious
Member # 453

Rate Member
You got a point there! :)
Marius350
Rewinder
Member # 342

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marius350   Email Marius350   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks AnnaBanana, I'm glad you agree, MTV is garbage.
Posts: 38 | From: Hazleton, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And another thing...

What's with all the helium voiced singers of today? What happened to the deep tones of like Lionel, Kenny Rogers, Toto, Mr. Mister, Quaterflash, The Motels. Now everybody--even the guys--sound like they're 14. With ballads (what few there are) sung way too high.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home