iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Can you argue with this list of Top 10 80s Teen Movies? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Can you argue with this list of Top 10 80s Teen Movies?
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Muffy make no mistake. Lucas is 100% a teen movie. I'll analyze it later, my guess is that it will lose out on the top ten because of subpar subplot and barely noticeable soundtrack.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy Temperman here,

Devo make no mistake...i'm not saying Lucas is not a teen movie...hahaha.........it's just way more of a teen "drama" to me......but to drop Valley Girl for it? I had to raise some HE double L hockey sticks!

We are MUFFS

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Muffy make no mistake. Lucas is 100% a teen movie. I'll analyze it later, my guess is that it will lose out on the top ten because of subpar subplot and barely noticeable soundtrack.
It has a score by Dave Grusin - and a damn fine one! When I first saw the movie I wanted the soundtrack almost immediately. It's a little too synthy in the uptempo bits, but it has a nice feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ObnhSNU3M

quote:
We are MUFFS
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the theme of the first ten is just so iconic of every attitude of the 80s and thnk its just an swsome list. It really stamps a statment but have to agree that 'weired science' is the one thats drowning a little. I liked it but think its reaching into different tacky, cheap territory, almost gimicky compared to the others.

Adding Lost boys to that list definately turns it all cultish as does adding KK.

Thinking about Jaylees coment on the chemistry of characters as a basis of strength and longevity of the movies of the mid 80s id have to agree so im going to take out...

weired science and replace with St elmos fire. I dont see this as a teen movie at all but that carefree attitde together with a saxaphone player and of course The Brat pack...just has to make that number 10 spot doesnt it?

and take out...(sorry Phoebe)
...fast times and replace with making the grade - cue judd nelsons swagger yet again.

boy wants girl, cant get girl, goes with another girl, wrong girl, loses girl etc etc...its all there.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oneyedwilly.. you know I'm a huge fan of "Making The Grade", but this crowd is so 'preppy come lately'..

At least we all agree that we should burn our "Weird Science" dvds before anyone finds out that we actually paid money for them.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been too focused on other points to comment on this yet, but....I love Weird Science! It shall remain in my top 10 80's movies of all time...I'll even buy the Blue Ray....OK....I got excited...top 15 at least!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
At least we all agree that we should burn our "Weird Science" dvds before anyone finds out that we actually paid money for them.

Now that's going a little too far [Mad] [Razz]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Pyro's almost looking for trouble!

I love Lucas but better then Valley Girl??? for a top ten teen movie??? no way! Lucas was too much of a drama.

I'm not trying to make a stink about it..It's just a personal prefernce really..I've never been much of a fan of 'Valley Girl'..The movie just doesn't have enough of a story and substance for my liking. Lucas on the other hand, Does. And if you're saying 'Lucas' is too dramatic for this list...then you might as well go ahead and remove 'The Breakfast Club' from the list as well...Because both those movies are pretty much equally dramatic. And if there's an unwritten rule here that teen movies can't be dramatic...then I suppose my other choices in moves like: Lean on Me, Stand & Deliver, and The Outsiders are not even gonna be taken into consideration.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now that's going a little too far [Mad] [Razz]
HELEN'S IN THE HOUSE!

I think if we were talking top 20 we could fit most of the greats in, but the top ten is pretty crowded, so at least one or two Hughes movies have to go otherwise they dominate. If we had two lists of 'Most Important' and 'Personal Favourite' teen movies, I think we might see some big changes.

quote:
And if there's an unwritten rule here that teen movies can't be dramatic...then I suppose my other choices in moves like: Lean on Me, Stand & Deliver, and The Outsiders are not even gonna be taken into consideration.
'Stand & Deliver' is out because it features an adult as the lead character. 'Outsiders' I think is a good call.

Sometimes when making lists I lump things in together in case they crowd out other things. How would the top 10 look if the Hughes movies were lumped together? That would leave 9 spaces for other movies to choose from... might be interesting. You could also tie 'Rumble Fish' and 'The Outsiders' together.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyro i'm totally playing just so you know [Smile]

Lucas is on my list but maybe at 12 or 13 to fit the others in.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if we were talking top 20 we could fit most of the greats in, but the top ten is pretty crowded, so at least one or two Hughes movies have to go otherwise they dominate. If we had two lists of 'Most Important' and 'Personal Favourite' teen movies, I think we might see some big changes.

Isn't Hughes the master of Teen movies? So why shouldn't he have a handful in there?

I'm seriously shocked anyone can even talk about removing Fast Times from this list. It might not be your favorite movie but it is the definition of 80's teen movies. I'm sorry but it's nuts! It would be like having a list of top ten movies where a group of kids looks for one eyed willy's treasure and not having the Goonies in it!!! [Wink]

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody as yet has mentioned Real Genius.

It's as much a teen movie as the rest, and involves several schools.

If any movie should be the one to displace Weird Science, surely Real genius is the one?

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Paul, I was going to but to be fair it's more of a college movie. Besides mitch, all of the other characters are in their 20's, the enemy is 40 and it's one of my favorite all time movies with a killer soundtrack but....

As my friend Jeff said to me long ago,"When I was in high school it was all about Ferris Bueller, in college it's all about Real Genius." Mitch is very young and the main character so it may qualify. My overall vote is no on a top ten teen movie but it is 100% better than Weird Science.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the original list;

Sixteen Candles
Valley Girl
Some Kind Of Wonderful
Weird Science
The Breakfast Club
Pretty In Pink
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Can't Buy Me Love
Say Anything
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

This is my list:

The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Can't Buy Me Love
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
License To Drive
Teen Wolf
Summer School
Thrashin'
The Wild Life

I wanted to throw these 2 in as well but could already start to hear the umming and arring.

Back to School
Caddyshack

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Oneyedwilly.. you know I'm a huge fan of "Making The Grade", but this crowd is so 'preppy come lately'..

Oh i remember you mentioning your devotion and enthusiasm for MTG and was surprise to hear a lot of people had not seen it and even more surprise to see it wasnt on here at all. MTG is one of my favs too and 'preppy come lately' has got to be better than 'preppy come never'!
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Im so sorry if i offend but 'caddyshack' making this list....theres almost 8 yrs difference between the release of this movie and others in the list...Completely different music, actors, and that crudeness in the likes of Porkys, animal farm was replaced with so many coming of age movies like all above mentioned. It all evolved and surely the theme is broken with caddy shack...you may as well throw in Cherry 2000!
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Isn't Hughes the master of Teen movies? So why shouldn't he have a handful in there?
Because he dominates a top ten and crowds out other good movies, and his movies are often lumped together anyway. I was only talking speculatively.

quote:
As my friend Jeff said to me long ago,"When I was in high school it was all about Ferris Bueller, in college it's all about Real Genius." Mitch is very young and the main character so it may qualify. My overall vote is no on a top ten teen movie but it is 100% better than Weird Science.
Real Genius is a good call. Even if it doesn't fit the bill.

quote:
Summer School
The two leads are adults. This is an interesting one for debate.
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow..I can't believe I forgot about Summer School..I think I might have to stick that one in there somewhere...or I dunno...it might just barely miss my 'Top 10'...But it is definetly a must see on my teen movie list.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teen Wolf for me had to be on my list. It is the first movie I can remember seeing at the movies.

Does Bad Boys (1983) classify as a teen movie?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

Ok, I've been trying to figure out my list. This isn't easy

1) Better off dead
2) Sixteen Candles
3) The Breakfast Club
4) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
5) Some Kind Of Wonderful
6) The Karate Kid
7) License to Drive
8) The Last American Virgin
9) Just One Of The Guys
10) so many choices.... I'll say Rad but I'll change it.

We are DEVO

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are a brave man, devo, leaving off Pretty In Pink, Fast Times, Valley Girl, and Can't Buy Me Love.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

You are correct. Replace Fast Times for Rad, and Can't Buy Me Love for the Karate Kid. Valley Girl for Just One Of The Guys.

I'm still thinking.

We are DEVO

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
my new list (this one is probably only temporary too):

1. The Breakfast Club
2. Ferris Bueller's day Off
3. Back to the Future
4. Summer School
5. Lucas
6. The Outsiders
7. Can't Buy Me Love
8. The Karate Kid
9. Lean on Me
10. Porkys

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home