iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » American Ninja (1985) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: American Ninja (1985)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff Jay Lee, awesome reviews!
Shogun´s Ninja and Ninja in the Dragon´s Den were released here on VHS back in the day
but i doubt that i´ve ever seen them.
And both were cut of course.

Now i want to see these movies asap!
I´ve always loved the HK cheesiness and the occasional comedy element you don´t expect.
The action scenes are on a different level comparing to the stuff made in the US.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To kevdugp73

Youre welcome [Smile] Just added trailers.

These are all out on region 1 and 2, but no, you probably can't pick em up at Walmart [Smile]

If my burner wasn't giving me ****, I would gladly make you copies, or anyone else who would like them. But for right now, it's not working.

Well, I had been watching asian films for almost 20 years before Crouching Tiger and the likes made it trendy, so I wasn't that impressed. Though, the artistic vision and visual style of Crouching Tiger, Hero, House Of Flying Daggers etc. was not lost on me.

To aTomiK

If my burner worked, I would make you copies right now. Hopefully i'll get it fixed.

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ATomiK, your inbox is full, so I can't pm you!!!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just cleaned it up a bit [Smile]
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched this again on Monday and WOW is it so cheesy...love it...the over choreographed, scenes, convenient bare chested shots together with sleeveless arm shirts and a bandana toboot...woo hoo! I think i saw 1 guy called sergent then private later, then sir, then private again...just awful but awsome...love it.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing about this movie is the size of Steve James's Gums.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by JAY LEE:
NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN 1982

-

Synopsis:

The compelling tale of two opposing warriors, one Japanese and one Chinese, brought together by destiny and the sacrifice of their master, to defeat an all-powerful enemy.

Thoughts:

This awesome old school classic has the distinct honor of being my all time favourite ninja flick, and one of the most vivid movie memories of my childhood. That super cool opening with all the ninjas running around displaying their skills is etched into my brain for all eternity, and so is that cheesy 80's theme tune. It is also, quite embarrassingly, the only song that I know all the words to... THEY WERE READY TO FIIIGHT.. SHAKA NINJAAA...! Okay, enough of that. Just be glad that you can't hear my voice through the screen. But seriously, this is in my opinion the best of the old school HK ninja movies, alongside Five Element Ninja and Duel To The Death. It has just the right amount of cheese and comedy, balanced well with the fairly serious storyline and awesome action. The choreography by director Yuen Kwai and Meng Hoi is super tight, and shows the various styles on display to their full extent. Conan Lee and Hiroyuki Sanada rarely looked better than they do here. Too bad that Sanada didn't do more HK movies, and that Conan turned out to be an egomaniacal ***, ruining his own career. I'll admit that the whole thing kind of unravels towards the end. After the awesome pagoda showdown, there really wasn't anywhere for the movie to go. So what do you do? You bring out the big guns, in the form of grandmaster Hwang Jang Lee of course. He is sort of played for laughs here, but still brings the thunder and caps off the film nicely, despite his slightly cartoonish sendoff. So, in closing, an all time favourite classic of mine that delivers the goods, as well as the bitter sweet sting of nostalgia, for me personally.

TRAILER

Just watched this fantastic movie.
It´s just as awesome as you mentioned Jay!

Full of great fights with various styles and clever ideas.
Only in HK.
And once again i liked the comedy elements, it was funny to see the guys fooling around.

The opening credits tune could have been a hit in the 80s.
At least here in Finland [Big Grin]
Great stuff!

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Glad you liked it, bro [Smile]

It's a fun flick, even if it does descend into cartoon comedy at the end. But the action is of the highest order. My favourite fight is the close quarters swordfight with Sanada and the old ninja master. That **** is off the hook!

I think that theme tune could and should have been a hit everywhere [Smile]

goresnet
Master Rewinder
Member # 6592

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for goresnet   Email goresnet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Oh you must recall this classic movie:

Ninja III: The Domination

That's the one! Talk about cheese!
Posts: 160 | From: League City, TX | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mate goes on about Ninja 3 the domination all the time, but I sternly refuse to watch it.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The news that UK label 88Films will be releasing American Ninja 1 - 4 on blu-ray is probably commonly known by now,
but according to their own website they didn't only have Michael Dudikoff participating in the upcoming bonus features,
but also the lovely Judie Aronson.. how about that ?!!! [Smile]

-

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be upgrading from my DVD 1-3 box set for this,love the first two,parts 3 and 4 I haven't seen in an age but If memory serves me right I didn't hold them in very high regard.

I can still remember when the 3rd one turned up and dudikoff had dropped out the franchise how disappointed I was.

88 films seem to be on a bit of a roll at the moment,they've not long released trancers and coming some time in April they've got the slasher x-ray (what I already own on blu) and the excellent Arthur Penn thriller - dead of winter,I own it on DVD but the transfer is nothing to shout about.

If the blu ray transfer is a vast improvement and the price is right I'd definitely be interested in a purchase.

88 films blu rays I own johnny are puppet master and two moon junction and there both of pretty high quality,though puppet master is not the unrated version.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is a recent pic of Judie aronson she doesn't look like she's aged at all. Wow!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As i understood, this pic was from the interview they recently did with her..
so yeah, two thumbs up for Judie i'd say ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
88 films rock and Julie looks fantastic!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home