iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Blue Lagoon (1980)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Blue Lagoon (1980)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched The Blue Lagoon yesterday, i don´t remember seeing it before.
It´s nice to watch some beach movies when it´s freezing cold winter outside.

This was a pretty entertaining flick directed by Randal Kleiser (Grease)
Starring Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkins.

Sometimes the story is a bit silly
(like after the shipwreck they lost the others, it´s a daytime, no storm, just some smoke in the air)
But i can live with that.

-

Of course there´s some nudity in the movie but it was pretty natural, no sleazy stuff here.
I just read that Brooke Shields used a body double on some scenes and sometimes her hair was glued to her boobs.
You can tell those things easily when you watch the flick.

The short original featurette was a nice bonus.

When did you guys watch The Blue Lagoon the first time
and what are your thoughts about it?

The Blue Lagoon trailer

Next: Return to the Blue Lagoon.

-

[ 23. February 2012, 02:53: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't watch this as a serious movie since watching Top Secret.....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched that scene again Paul, hilarious stuff!
Such a fantastic movie.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atomik this was the taboo movie I watched as a little girl.....it seemed so sexual to me. Funny huh?

It is very stylish and visually beautiful....The sequel has a young Milla Jovovich right and Brian Krause (from Charmed haha) it's actually not bad......but really the same story right?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
warriorwoman73
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 9316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for warriorwoman73   Email warriorwoman73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that they wanted Matt Dillon for Christopher Atkins' role but he didn't want to do it because of the nudity. Funny, huh?

In a "20 Years Later - Where are They Now?" feature they did on "The Blue Lagoon" in 1980, Christopher Atkins said that his kids' favorite scene in the movie is when Brooke Shields hits him in the head with a coconut. LOL

Posts: 22 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Dec 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched it as a kid (not sure when) on video. Liked it. Brooke was a bit of a childhood crush for me via movies like this and 'Endless Love'.

quote:
It is very stylish and visually beautiful....The sequel has a young Milla Jovovich right and Brian Krause (from Charmed haha) it's actually not bad......but really the same story right?
Agreed.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have never seen this version, but i have seen the one with milla jovovich.

speaking of brooke, i saw endless love several years back for the first time and thought it was very weird haha. i remember posting about it here, after i had seen it.

does anyone remember the movie Paradise with phoebe cates & willie aames (who was buddy in charles in charge)? it's an early 80s movie which some considered a blue lagoon rip-off. it also had sexual scenes...
and phoebe sang the title theme for the movie.
 -

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Paradise, the Blue Lagoon ripoff. It was set in the desert, and Phoebe got kidnapped by bedouins or desert hobos or something, and they were going to sell her to a sheik before pre-coke-addicted Aames with perm comes to her rescue. That theme song is dreadful, beating even The Gems' theme to Flashpoint as worst 80s movie song. Don't get me wrong. I could watch Phoebe read the yellow pages, but Paradise is howlingly bad. The producers of Blue Lagoon sued for copyright infringement. They shouldn't have bothered. Paradise sank with nary a trace, just memories from those endless late-night showings on Cinemax years ago.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
Paradise is howlingly bad.

it is....as i would assume phoebe is the only reason anyone would pay an ounce of attention to it. i never saw it on cable, but probably on usa's up all night or something like it.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, it was too crummy even for the low standards of USA's Up All Night. If you enjoy le bad cinema, this is a must. :-)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to be stranded on an island with Brooke after seeing this movie. We snuck in cause they wouldn't sell us tickets...me and my friends were 14! LOL

Paradise was stupid but it had Phoebe Cates....end of story! =)

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skatexedge:
Paradise was stupid but it had Phoebe Cates....end of story! =)

This....

I've not seen it, but no matter how bad it is, the cover art alone makes me want to give it a go...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I also own Paradise on dvd.
I´m going to watch it right after Return to the Blue Lagoon.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
That pretty much sums it up, skatexedge--"stupid but it had Phoebe Cates." Actually, it had an occassionally naked Phoebe Cates. I can fast forward through it because life doesn't really get much better than that. :-)
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue Lagoon was pretty, but don't need to see it again. My only memory of Paradise is seeing a "willy" while swimming [Eek!]

I would like to see the sequel-I think it was Milla's first movie after having mostly a modeling career. Huge Resident Evil fan!

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Huge Resident Evil fan!
Even 3, where they airbrushed Milla's face?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like/have 1, 2 & 3-have not seen the latest though.
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Bamersy:
I like/have 1, 2 & 3-have not seen the latest though.

I found them to be diminishing in plot quality throughout the series. The third had Milla's face digitally 'fixed' throughout and it looked really odd to me.
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
The first one was incredibly good-and much better then I think anyone expected. Knowing friends and family who played the game/s, and helping with the collecting/puzzles-I was very familiar with the characters/story/monsters.

The second one was great-waking up in a hospital to total zombie destruction and desolation-very cool. Alice as a total badass, the Nemesis (formerly Matt) and Carlos (Oded Fehr from The Mummy).

The third was good and very watchable, but not my favorite. Liked the Alice clones idea and the ending which made for some interesting sequel possibilities.

I wish I had tried harder to see the most recent one in the theater-on a big screen.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I was also familiar with the games, and found the first movie to be a good adaptation. This was before we became inundated with Zombie movies.

I think my issue with the series is how 'invincible' Alice seems to be throughout. I can't invest in her as much because I know she'll be fine, so I invest in the surrounding characters. In 3 there wasn't much to care about at all. Still... I have some hope for 4 being entertaining. I don't even know if it got good reviews or not.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paradise would be worth a watch if I got to see some full frontal nudity from Phoebe. She is hot. Have not seen this though, but I remember seeing her topless in Fast Times. Oohhh good old days.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home