iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Muffy's Amazing Stories appreciation thread (if you haven't watched them you should!) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Muffy's Amazing Stories appreciation thread (if you haven't watched them you should!)
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that you are still watching and reporting back Atomik! I love these mini movies so much......seeing Jeff Cohen as a punk kid in that one was hilarious!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel bad.. I got it cheap and just haven't watched enough. Thanks for the reminder!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Muffy, i´ll try to watch them more often.

No need to feel bad Valley, i´m very slow too [Smile]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Episodes 11 & 12.

"Santa ´85" was a fun little christmas story.
Douglas Seale was a great Santa and Pat Hingle as a town sheriff never fails.
This was directed by Phil "Three O'Clock High" Joanou.

"Vanessa in the Garden" looked like a period drama.
It had an interesting cast (Keitel, Locke & Bridges) and was directed by Clint Eastwood
but i felt a little disappointed.

So, the x-mas tale won this pair.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episodes 13 & 14 yesterday.

"The Sitter" was a fun babysitter story.
Young Seth Green with a Madonna t-shirt and Suzanne Snyder!
Love it!

"No Day at the Beach"
This was a touching little war story filmed in b/w.
It featured a cool cast including
Charlie Sheen, Philip McKeon, Ralph Seymour, Tom Hodges...

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally want to cheat and skip ahead to watch "The Sitter" now!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can make a screen shot of the t-shirt? lol

Edit: I totally just watched "The Sitter" again...I had too......I can't stress how much I love Amazing Stories. It's crazy to me how a little tv show can put me right back to Sunday night in the 80's....laying on the floor watching them [Smile]

[ 04. August 2011, 19:29: Message edited by: Muffy Tepperman ]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffy.. I know you were totally crushing on Brad Bender!

So cool to see Bill Allen in that episode..

I'm getting ready to watch one of my favs "Mummy Daddy"!

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Valley I was like huh??? who's Brad Bender?? lol I suck at character names.....notice I called him "the guy that was in Fast Forward".... ha!
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Sorry Muffs.. I should have said you were drawn like Shirley to Brad Bender's magnetic personality.

Ok.. I'm finally in a groove watching "Amazing Stories" .. not quite what I remember them to be.. but totally digging them again. Plus, getting to see some of our fav 80's actors in different roles is a blast .. and of course.. the fact that the setting of the 'now' is 1985 makes it fun too.

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
yay Valley! report back like Atomik has been.....I love hearing you guy's opinions [Smile]
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Watched episode 5 "The Mission" yesterday.

It was a cool Spielberg penned war story with an all-star cast.
Starring Kevin Costner, Casey Siemaszko, Kiefer Sutherland and some other familiar faces.
The lovely Karen Kopins also has some screentime.

This was a longer (45 minutes) episode.
Poor little Casey is in trouble again [Cool]

-

This is the episode that I remembered the most from watching "Amazing Stories" .. while this episode has a 'Cool World' twist .. it is still brilliant with a stellar cast! The movie "Memphis Belle" captures the same feel and you wonder if the director watched this episode as a mood reference.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episodes 15-18

"One for the Road"

"In 1934, a couple of South Bronx barflies try to kill drunk Mike Malloy for his insurance money
and find they're tangling with much more than they bargained for."

A decent story what greed does to a man.
Starring James Cromwell, Geoffrey Lewis, Joe Pantoliano, Al Ruscio and Douglas Seale.
Left me a bit thirsty though [Wink]

"Gather Ye Acorns"

Starring Mark Hamill and David Rappaport.
Interesting story and you´ll like it more if you are a collector like me.
It was nice to see Forest Whitaker in a supporting role.

"Boo!"

This was a fun episode starring Robert Picardo, Wendy Schaal, Bruce Davison and Andrea Marcovicci.
Just saw Marcovicci also in "The Hand".
Co-starring Eddie Bracken and Evelyn Keyes as "the ghosts"

Picardo, very funny and sleazy and like Muffy said earlier, Schaal was beautiful.
I would love to get all her Sheena flicks, loved the posters [Smile]

"Dorothy and Ben"

This was pure over sentimental Spielberg and i wasn´t in the mood.
Starring Joe Seneca, Lane Smith, Joe Regalbuto, Kathleen Lloyd and Natalie Gregory.
If you enjoy watching hospital miracle recoveries this might be for you.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episodes 19-20

Two very good short stories!

"Mirror, mirror"

Very good, chilling episode directed by Martin Scorsese.
Sam Waterston is great as a rich horror novelist.
His life turns to nightmare when a phantom which only he can see in the mirror, starts to haunt him.
Scary stuff!
Damn, Helen Shaver looks good in this one [Smile]

"Secret Cinema"

This was a very funny episode written and directed by Paul Bartel.
It´s like The Truman Show 0.1.
Penny Peyser looks stunning in the leading role
and it was awesome to see Griffin Dunne too.
The other stars are Paul Bartel himself and Mary Woronov.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffy, can you make a screenshot of Penny with the cool & crazy hair?
Please please [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Ask and you shall receive! [Smile]

of course for you buddy........Awesome episode....I love Griffin Dunne!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ooooh, i love it!! Thank you [Smile]

I wish there´d be more 80s flicks starring Penny Peyser. She was great.
I loved her girl next door look, that crazy look and the bit**y look she had in the end.
What a lost talent...

oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
 -

Ask and you shall receive! [Smile]

of course for you buddy........Awesome episode....I love Griffin Dunne!

is it a sin to find this hair sexy??? hmmm according to pet shop boys...maybe...its a sin! At school they taught me how to be, in thought, in word and deed.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great show I keep hoping for Season 2 to get a DVD release though.
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
"Hell Toupee"

A very silly episode directed by Irvin Kershner.
Starring Tony Kienitz and Cindy Morgan.
This was average stuff, Morgan looked great though.

"The Doll"

This was a nice and heartwarming little story directed by Phil Joanou.
John Lithgow was great and the doll looked so real i thought it must start to talk soon [Smile]

-

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched the last two first season episodes yesterday.

"One for the Books"

A fun episode starring Leo "Sean and Chris´ father" Penn and Joyce Van Patten
and featuring a flying saucer cameo [Cool]

"Grandpa's Ghost"

The season ends with a sentimental story written and directed by Timothy Hutton.
It was nice to see Andrew McCarthy but this wasn´t that great after all.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
They released 8 Amazing Stories compilation VHS tapes back in the day here in Finland.
The tapes had both 1st and 2nd season episodes.

I happen to have some of the cover sheets and here they are:

Amazing Stories (Go to the Head of the Class, The Mission, Mummy Daddy)

-

Amazing Stories II (Ghost Train, The Amazing Falsworth, The Wedding Ring)

-

Amazing Stories III (The Greibble, Moving Day, Miscalculation)

-

Amazing Stories V (The Doll, Life on Death Row, Thanksgiving)

-

Amazing Stories VI (Mirror, Mirror..., Blue Man Down, Mr. Magic)

-

[ 17. February 2012, 02:24: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I finally finished "Muffy's Amazing Stories" recently .. wait that wasn't the title on the dvd box.. oops different Muffy Stories. [Big Grin]

-

aTomiK mentioned it above, but my favorite segment was "Mirror, mirror" with an amazingly young looking Sam Waterson. It is creepy cool and just so good! Also, though you never see his face, I always thought it was neat that Tim Robbins played the phantom.

aTomiK described it very well: "Very good, chilling episode directed by Martin Scorsese"

-

Of course, "The Mission" was also excellent with an outstanding cast!

-

And I can't explain it totally, but "The Main Attraction" is just so wacky and charming! Maybe it is the fact that Bill Allen in all his 'RADness' is in it. [Cool]

[ 17. December 2011, 07:22: Message edited by: Valley ]

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember enjoying Amazing Stories when it ran on Sunday nights back in the mid-late '80's. I don't remember seeing every episode, but I saw many of them. Some of my favorites included:

-The episode set during WW II when the plane's landing gear wouldn't work - so, the plane's gunner (stuck in the gun turret underneath the plane) drew cartoon landing gear that became real...very cool.

-The episode starring Mark Hammill (Luke Skywalker from Star Wars) as an old man who collects antiques/junk.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The series was a disappointment not because of the quality but thanks to such a short lived run. If I could ask Spielberg one question it would be asking why it didn't go on longer. The 80's for me can be best described with two series: Amazing Stories and Highway To heaven.
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home