iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » The Young Ones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Young Ones
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Ok, who here watched The Young Ones. I have been brought up on this, and this show definitely formed the foundation for my sense of humour. My brother and I would watch this for countless hours, and still do. I think that it is the best comedy show of all time (Just my opinion).

It's basically about four college students, who do no study, destroy their rented house, ridicule each other and beat each other up. It's classic.

-

Who likes the show / who hates it, and what is your favourite episode and character?

-

It is hard to pick my favourite episode, but I will go with Oil, because it is the first episode I ever saw and it starts of well, with the university dropkicks moving into a new house, and running a muck.

-

My favoutite character would be Rick. The thing I like about him the most is that he is always copping torment from Vyvyan and occasionaly from Mike and feels that the only way he can vent his frustration is by taking things out on Neil. He truely is a terrific character, and I hold a special place in my heart for Rik Mayall. He is a genius.

-

The show only went for two seasons. 6 episodes in 1982 followed by another 6 in 1984. I have watched it basically since it's inception when I was crawling around on the floor.

They were without a doubt the worst and dirtiest students in the whole world, and went to a very prestigious academic institution:

-

I will definitely contribute more to this thread as discussion rolls along:

-

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Young Ones rules!
We watched every episode back in the day.

My favorite character is also Rick because, like you said, Rik Mayall is a genius.

I haven´t seen this show for a long time so i can´t pick a favorite episode.
I remember loving all of them, especially the one including Madness performing "House of Fun"
and the one with Motörhead performing "Ace of Spades".

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, glad there is some fans coming out of the wood work.

House of Fun is in the episode Boring which is an awesome episode. This definitely got me listening to madness.

Ace of Spades was in the episode Bambi and it starts up just as Neil announces the group has been picked to go on University Challenge.

It's a worthwhile investment to get the whole set. I was in London recently and got all of it for 15 pounds, but then left it at a mates place in Scotland. I managed to get another copy since.

Another good show which was in the mid nineties was Bottom starring Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson. That too was a brilliant show. Both a couple of dole scroungers. It is great also because Rik seems far more deviated in Bottom also. The Young Ones is still better though.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Once in every lifetime... comes a love like this..."

You know that when the show opened with a cover of a Cliff Richards song it was going to be good!

This show is the 80's to me. Not only did it have musical guests during the great pop renaissance, which root it in the time, but they repeated the series' every couple of years in the UK.

They also had a best-selling book that was a must-own back in the day ('Bachelor Boys' - another Cliff Richard reference).

Not only that - they also had hit singles! This one from Neil was a cover version of Traffic's hippy 'Hole in My Shoe' (it got to # 2 in the UK):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB0UZN83N-w

This one was a charity duet with Sir Cliff himself (# 1 in '86):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGOU0o9K89g

The entire cast also used to appear on 'Comic Strip Presents', and before 'Spinal Tap', there was 'Bad News':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lIbZyUG1sY

Rik was my fave (as with most people), and 'Oil' and 'Boring' are two of the best episodes, second only to... 'Bambi':

Bambi: "The worlds stupidest bottom-burp?"
Neil: "Oh! Rik - Britain!"
Bambi: "Correct"
Rik: "IT IS NOT!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxA0a5G6ccg

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Logan, you utter bas....

Great show. Another thing that made this show good was the complete randomness, like hearing the thougths of a family on a Cornflakes packet and talking power points. You are jsut thinking to yourslef what the hell was that about, but being in stitches at the same time. One of my favourite random moments is when Rik is reading the paper and it zooms in to an article that is head lined "Police I.Q. Shocker."

"Then I said something about the Pope."

"That's pretty stupid, ya know she's cathloic."

"Yeah I knew she was catholic, I didn't know the Pope was."

Logan, I love the episode Bambi. It is a classic.

Such a stupid scene when they are trying to convince Mel Smith that there pig mascot, 'Bacon Sandwhich' is a ferret. Such simple stuff, they are able to make into pure off the wall comedy. It's great.

xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of my favorite memories of the 80's was watching the young ones. i think mtv used to air the episodes around here.

i own the complete series on dvd too. this show was great.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Bottom better, but TYO was ok too.
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, I love Bottom aswell dude.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love TYO, but I am with Jay Lee, the edge to Bottom for me. What I love about Britcom humor is that it can be both intellectual and stupid, often at the same time. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Crash & JAY LEE, I absolutely love Bottom, I probably just pay mor homage to TYO, because it was my first introduction to a twisted sense of humour, that was to be a part of my personality from then on.

One of my favourite bits of dialogue from Bottom:

Eddie: Well it's your fault for touching up the birdy ferris wheel attendant.

Richie: I thought she was a girl.

Eddie: They were pectorals you fool.

Richie: She had an earring.

Eddie: Yeah, through her f....skin.

Richie: Yes, which I found out later, much to my distress.

I have been a big fan of Bottom since it came out. I remember seeing it on TV at about 10 at night when I was 13 or 14 and being in tears. That first episode I managed to catch was 'Gas' where they are stealing the next door neighbour's (Mr. Rotweiller) gas supply. A great episode. Probably my favourite I reckon.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home