iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Magnum P.I. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Magnum P.I.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my God! [Big Grin]

Yeah, I enjoyed it much more than I did years ago. I am out shopping today so I think I am gonna try and grab season 6 and 8 when I am out.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ended up grabbing season 5 and 6. About 44 episodes to get through [Big Grin]
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like all three of us are into Magnum at this time.
Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah I have just got through season 3,4 & 6. I just went to the shop then and bought season 3 of the A-Team.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved the Ateam but not sure if it is watchable anymore. Liked all of the characters. Let us know how it is nowadays Bernie
Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Found this Magnum site and thought maybe you guys might find something interesting on it.
http://magnum-mania.com/

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
The A-Team is pretty bad man. I watched it as a kid so thought it was great but I watched some last night and it's awful.

The bad guys lock up the A-Team in a room but forget that it's filled with power tools, welding equipment and everything under the sun to get out of the room. But, instead of just cutting a hole in the door with the welding torch they decide to build some weapons for when the bad guys open the door back up. Why would you just not cut a hole in the door and go?

The entire USA military is looking for them and can't find them but if you have a problem and nobody else can help and if you can find them then maybe you can hire the A-Team. It's just stupid.

They tell everyone what their real names are which is something you certainly would not do if you were on the run.

They have machine gun showdowns in the most populated areas.

Don't get me started - I could go on for days but this show does not hold up well. I think Magnum holds up pretty good though.

I checked out that site. It says that almost all the indoor scenes for Robin's Nest were not shot there. I dunno about this because when you see the main house you can see a window and from the inside near the stairwell you can see that same window. I would be highly bummed if that was the case. Why have the estate and not film the inside of it unless part of their rental agreement did not allow them to go inside. I would feel a bit bummed if it was the case that the inside scenes weren't shot there.

[ 15. July 2015, 05:28: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Sorry Bernie but i had to chuckle.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I am glad you got a laugh. This is only the tip of the iceberg. The A-Team is completely unrealistic and I really do wonder how it was such a successful show and don't anyone get me wrong I was a huge fan as a kid.

Why in this show is there a bunch of rednecks/mobsters/teamsters etc trying to run some business out of town? I mean, it just doesn't happen.

One thing that is just as bad in both shows though is the stuntmen. It's so obvious that they are using them and at times it seems like the director makes zero effort to try to disguise that it is a stuntman. In one episode of Magnum, TC's stuntman was in a fight scene and for a good 30 seconds to a minute you could see the stuntman face on and it was clear that it was a stuntman - I was like, how could nobody notice this? In the A-Team they look like they make some effort but it's still bad - last night Hannibal jumped off a balcony - yeah like a 70 year old guy is not gonna pull up with an ankle injury but the stuntman looked like he was wearing a latex mask to make him look more like Hannibal but he just looked like a burns victim version of Hannibal.

More to come [Big Grin]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just finished watching season 8 of Magnum (the final season). I don't know why this show did not continue. It must have gone out on a high like Seinfeld because it was good right up until the end. It's not like the show got worse or you got sick of it. I actually thought some episodes in season 8 were the best of the entire Magnum series.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

How many seasons of Magnum do you have left Bernie?
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I still have to watch 1,2,4 and 7. I watched a few episodes from season 1 last night as well as the pilot. It is strange because the theme music from Magnum right at the start of the series is different. It's good but not as good as what they ended up coming up with later on.

How bout you?

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

i only see what they show on tv reruns which is usually season 3 and 4. Been missing alot lately due to my sons baseball games on thursday, which is ok
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Anyone checked out the Magnum estate in person or at least been to Hawaii - If so what was it like?
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I was out today doing come clothes shopping. I was looking for a shirt like this:

-

and a Detroit Tiger's cap (or as Higgins would say a Detroit Panther's cap) like this:

Damn - couldn't even find a photobucket picture of it.

Unfortunately I couldn't find either the cap or a similar shirt.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Are those orchids on his shirt? I cannot tell.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I am not sure but what a life it must have been living in paradise for 9 years doing that show. Ahhhhh that would be awesome.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Right on Bernie! Not doing Indiana Jones was probably an easy decision for him.

You might be able to find similar shirt at the thrift stores when you are looking for movies. You may want to wash it 80-89 times before you wear it.

Your bringing that up makes me want to start a new topic on people playing roles on TV.
I will post it later on.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Magnum DVD's I have a lot of commentary on them and one of the guys narrating an episode said that Selleck really wanted to do it but they weren't going to let him out of his Magnum contract - he said though due lot's of bad whether in Hawaii at the time they had to postpone shooting for ages so in hindsight he could have actually done it.

Perhaps that movie would have really launched his career but looking back it would be a tough choice to make - Doing that show for 9 years in Hawaii would have been great.

Larry Manetti still talks to Selleck a couple times a month and speaks to Mosley every week. He even talks with Hillerman a couple times a year. So they are all good friends still after all this time.

Yeah, you never know what the hobos have been doing to their shirts. 80 -89 times - classic!

Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I have only invested in the first two seasons of Magnum, but from what I can read here, the consesus seems to be that it is worth sticking with.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got season 3 in the mail today, and judging from the first episode I just watched, it's gonna be well worth it.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great two part episode with Bo Svensson, just wait until you see the ending in part 2!
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Yes, that was pretty damn awesome. I think this is now neck to neck with China Doll as my favorite episode so far.
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Although one thing I hate about these old shows... the pre intro preview... I hate that ****. Just let me watch the episode for the love of.....!!
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate those too, always press the FF button and close my eyes.
I mean, who wants to know what´s going to happen in the episode before it even starts... stupidstupidstupid.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home