iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » What did you race home after school to watch on tv?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What did you race home after school to watch on tv?
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fall and it's cold and all I wannna do more then anything some days is curl up with a blanket and a movie in the afternoon. I love November.....it's my birthday month and I always seem to get sentimental about being a kid.....(because i'm getting sooooo old)...one of my fav fall memories raking leave piles and jumping in them.....!!

But I always remember how much I just wanted school to end in the afternoon so I could race home and watch tv! I loved that time between getting home and winding down before dinner. I remember Saved by the Bell reruns....Full House and Family Matters reruns. Double Dare!

and.....HBO.......they used to play kid movies and family themed stuff in the afternoon.....does anyone else remember? The Worst Witch was a great one!

What did you race home to watch after school??

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Afterschool Specials! I cant believe they dont make those anymore!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember rushing home for Charles In Charge.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dungeons and Dragons, Degrassi Junior High, Chocky, Alfonso Bonzo, Henrys Leg, Grange Hill.....the list goes on. One winter leading up to Xmas, there was a programme called 'The box of delights' which I have unbelievably fond memories of. [Smile]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just remember loving the TGIF shows on Friday nights like Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step. Nickelodian was so awesome back then...another show I loved was Are You Afraid of the Dark, it was like a tween version of Tales from the Crypt.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earth Angel:
Dungeons and Dragons, Degrassi Junior High, Chocky, Alfonso Bonzo, Henrys Leg, Grange Hill.....the list goes on. One winter leading up to Xmas, there was a programme called 'The box of delights' which I have unbelievably fond memories of. [Smile]

^This^. They repeated 'Box of Delights' a few times at Christmas. Children's BBC dramas were always worth checking out, too.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved reruns of the Mickey Mouse Club (the old one, not the one with Slutney Spears) and Leave It To Beaver. I also loved to watch Down to Earth and Rocky Road on TBS.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duck Tales, Mysterious Cities of Gold: would always get a tad anxious about not missing the theme tunes. Fortunately, all the rest were on afterwards. In wintertime, it would get dark around 4:00 p.m. (perfect for watching shows like Knightmare) and for awhile, I was convinced that Treguard exerted some measure of control over GMT!
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that you all share the fond memory of after school tv. I didn't even think of it til now.....but for the longest time my mom worked the 7pm to 7am shift and that little time after school making dinner and watching my shows was mom bonding time [Big Grin]

I loved Are you Afraid of the Dark Veronica and add Hey Dudddddddddddde to the list....although their 90's

Nickelodeon was great then "You Can't Do that on Television"

Earth Angel I have Degrassi in my netflix que....i've been wanting to watch it again bad.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Degrassi too! HBO aired re-runs of that show back in the 90's and I was addicted to it. I loved the super cheesy theme song and their awesome Canadian accents and slang [Big Grin] How could you not love a show that had characters in it named things like L.D. and B.L.T.?
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
I love Degrassi too! HBO aired re-runs of that show back in the 90's and I was addicted to it. I loved the super cheesy theme song and their awesome Canadian accents and slang [Big Grin] How could you not love a show that had characters in it named things like L.D. and B.L.T.?

We never knew that it was Canadian.....the accents sound the same to us. hahaha. [Smile]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where I live they ran DEGRASSI on PBS early Sunday mornings. I would set my alarm clock so I never missed it.

Something that always struck me as odd was they usually played a DEGRASSI JUNIOR HIGH ep and then a DEGRASSI HIGH ep making the storylines hard to follow. They would have been better off playing the shows in order.

I now own all the DEGRASSI box sets and I run a DEGRASSI fan site ( http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6spdi/degrassimania/ ) Oh and I watch DEGRASSI: THE NEXT GENRATION with my 11 year old daughter every Friday night.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
I only ever saw the Junior High. I once went to school in my uniform and changed in to leggings and a t-shirt so I could be like Stephanie.....I also took a mouse to school on a different occasion..I was a weird kid.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We never knew that it was Canadian.....the accents sound the same to us. hahaha. [Smile]
Speak for yourself! I'm fairly sure they referred to being Canadian within the show a few times. Didn't you ever notice just how uncool those 'US' kids seemed, or that it was always crummy weather?

quote:
I only ever saw the Junior High.
I think we got 'Degrassi Junior High' and 'Kids From Degrassi Street' over here more or less back-to-back.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a kid in the late 70's early 80's and loved the Saturday morning cartoons, Kaptain Krofft Superstars-(have a Bay City Rollers 45 around here somewhere!), Wonder Woman etc. Watched the Afterschool Specials-though my brother made us watch Ultraman hosted by Bob Wilkins of Creature Features. We were supposed to take turns, but he was a jerk about it most of the time [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Bam oh how it sucks having siblings and one tv! [Smile]

Charles in Charge used to play on WGN and it made me think is WGN still around??.....while I was googling it just now I found a funny Youtube video I had to share. More funny for how silly it is and how different technology was then right? Imagine what they would have thought of the Internet then?

WGN was hacked!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mzkt4N77s&mode=related&search=

The best part of this clip @ 0:47
"I got so upset I wanted to bust the tv set...I really did"

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Bam oh how it sucks having siblings and one tv! [Smile]
You said a mouthful! I got a little black-and-white TV towards the end of the 80's and it was a liberation! I more or less stole the VCR for my TV from then on!

quote:
We were supposed to take turns, but he was a jerk about it most of the time [Roll Eyes]
Cute mental image! It makes me want to go... "aaaah!"
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another image logan:

Two preteens at the retro slider channel changer:

-

one on either side, trying to push in the direction of their channel, locked in battle, neither letting the other budge a millimeter........

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
It's an even cuter image!
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G Force: Battle of the planets!
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kash:
Duck Tales, Mysterious Cities of Gold: would always get a tad anxious about not missing the theme tunes. Fortunately, all the rest were on afterwards. In wintertime, it would get dark around 4:00 p.m. (perfect for watching shows like Knightmare) and for awhile, I was convinced that Treguard exerted some measure of control over GMT!

3 classic choices there, Kash.

-

The intro was one of the very best.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island come to mind for me.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megaforce
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7183

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Megaforce   Email Megaforce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was growing up I loved to sit in front of the television and just watch hour after hour, i saw tv shows such as Automan, Whiz Kids, Danger Bay, Alf, and many many others ... Now, after 25 years, I still love those tv show, just as much as i did then, and my hobby I have now are to collect tv shows and movies from the '80s.
So i was very happy to hear that they are gonna release Starman the complete series on Dvd:)

Posts: 70 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing Masters of the Universe & G.I. Joe: ARAH cartoons after school back in the early '80's - though I don't remember having to rush home from school to see these. These were on probably within half an hour/an hour after I got home from school.

Also remember seeing re-runs of The Superfriends after school as well; this show had traditionally been on Saturday mornings, but at some point in the early '80's was re-run on weekday afternoons.

[ 03. October 2016, 12:29: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home