iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » "Threads" - BBC Tele-film (1984)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Threads" - BBC Tele-film (1984)
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back, I saw the BBC TV movie "Threads" (1984) for the first time. To those who haven't seen/heard of this, it's a documentary-style film about how a fictitious nuclear war affects a city in England. This is an extremely intense, disturbing, and horrific film.

I had a tough time watching this, even 30+ years after if was released. It's especially disturbing because it doesn't end with the nuclear war, but instead shows the after effects. Especially difficult to watch are the deaths from radiation, nuclear fire, etc.

This film is even more disturbing than "The Day After" - and that was an extremely intense film as well.

[ 21. March 2017, 04:52: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A thread for 'Threads'!

I only watched this for the first time in the 90's, and happened to watch it in a double-bill with the TV series 'Edge of Darkness'. The combined total of both was something like 8 hours running time, and the sun was rising when I'd finished a marathon session. I can honestly say I felt incredibly depressed as the sun rose! Edge of Darkness is also really bleak, but Threads took the prize for total despondancy-inducing misery!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home