iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Devo takes on HIMYM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Devo takes on HIMYM
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I have been wanting to write about this for awhile. My wife and I have been watching How I Met Your Mother since it first came on the air. It's one of those shows that I like to call a "Enjoyable but I already lived that" show.

What does that mean?

Well being 37 (Man I really just wrote that) HIMYM is basically geared in it's inception from people that are about 4 years younger than me. They are in their late 20's and still living the post college we go out to the bar (because that's what we do) lifestyle. At 30 when it started, I was 2 or 3 life years past where they were, and all of the concepts (thinking you are in love with everyone, drunk dialing, acting like you used to around High School friends, and inside friend jokes that make someone a verb) I had been through. HIMYM should really be used as an instructional tool for anyone who turns 22. That's why it's funny, but at times a bit much.

I'm not going to go chronological here, with the whole show but I will say this.

The cliffhanger ending of the show isn't making want to watch it more. Fine, we see the mother, but everyone knows that the Series Finale will be the proposal. Lilly and Marshall spend more time at the bar than any two parents EVER. Barney's gimmick was great for 5 seasons and the evolution of Barney into a husband makes him not the diamond of the show anymore. By Comparison, Kramer on Seinfeld was always Kramer.

Ted might be the worst main character of all time. I would rather his voice (Bob Saget) be the main. He never learns, he dates the same people all the time, and 7 seasons in, you are kind of done with it.

I do admire that the show doesn't forget anything, an important quality in shows I like. I also love the stupidness of the inside jokes.

Oh well, next season I will continue to watch. But I'll have more to say.

I plan on doing a big office piece.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good write up. I watch this show every now and then, its OK: I like to think of it as 'Friends' with fewer laughs.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home