iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Quantum Leap

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quantum Leap
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Quantum Leap" was an incredible tv show that started in March 1989 and last for 5 seasons. The series starred Scott Bakula as Dr. Sam Beckett, a scientist who becomes lost in time following a time travel experiment, temporarily taking the places of other people to 'put right what once went wrong'.

-

Dean Stockwell co-starred as Al Calavicci, Sam's womanizing, cigar-smoking sidekick and best friend, who appeared as a hologram that only Sam could see and hear. The series featured a mix of comedy, drama, social commentary, nostalgia and science fiction which won it a broad range of fans. One of its trademarks is that at the end of each episode... Sam "leaps" into the setting for the next episode, usually uttering the hilarious "Oh, boy!"

This tv show barely made the 80's, but it such a fav because it kept the 80's tv show feel throughout its run. I've always been fascinated with time travel (BTTF) and this show offered a unique perspective that I truly enjoyed tuning in each week to watch.

Here's the first few episodes to get you started:

Season 1, Episode 1 & 2: Genesis: Part 1 and 2 - September 13, 1956

Original Air Date—26 March 1989

Although the Project Quantum Leap isn't ready yet, Sam Beckett doesn't listen to supercomputer Ziggy, hops into the Accelerator and leaps. As Tom Stratton, an Air Force test pilot about to attempt a dangerous flight. Sam finds his memory Swiss cheesed, with only enough left to know that he is not where or when he belongs. According to Sam's friend and partner Al, who appears to him as a hologram nobody else can see, Al explains that the Project has gone awry and in order to leap out of the pilot's body, Sam must successfully fly the X-2 to Mach 3, which according to historical records, ended in a fatal crash.

Jennifer Runyon ... Peggy Stratton
John Allen Nelson ... Capt. Bill 'Bird Dog' Birdell
W.K. Stratton ... Dr. Berger
Newell Alexander ... John Beckett

Original Air Date—26 March 1989

As Tom Stratton, Sam comforts his (Tom's) wife and prevents her from having a premature birth. This is what he was sent to do, allowing him to leap home (he hopes). But instead of leaping home, he leaps into Tim Fox, a minor league baseball player in Texas at the end of the 1968 season, in the middle of a game, where he must make the winning play in order to leap further. Tim Fox makes a home-run, and Sam leaps into Dr. Gerald Bryant as a college professor in the middle of a class.

Season 1, Episode 3: Star-Crossed - June 15, 1972

Original Air Date—31 March 1989

At a small Ohio college, Sam Beckett is a literature professor who must discourage the amorous advances of a student and finds the woman who left him at the altar. Sam hopes that resolving her conflicts with her father will prevent her from deserting him.

Teri Hatcher ... Donna Eleese
Leslie S. Sachs ... Jamie Lee
Michael Gregory ... Colonel Wojohowitz
Michael McGrady ... Oscar

Season 1, Episode 4: The Right Hand of God -
October 24, 1974

Original Air Date—7 April 1989

Sam leaps into a boxer that is owned by a convent of nuns who need him to win a boxing match to finance their new chapel.

Guy Stockwell ... Jake Edwards
Michelle Joyner ... Sister Angela
Teri Copley ... Dixie

fans?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never cared that much but one of my friends was a fan.

Now that i see who are the co-starring ladies in these first three eps,
Runyon, Hatcher & Copley, i wanna buy the dvd set asap [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
loved this show , was hillarious when he used to leap into a woman. did he ever get home?
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amaranth:
loved this show , was hillarious when he used to leap into a woman. did he ever get home?

No, sad to say, he never did get home.

Incidentally, I turned up this fan website.

http://www.projectquantumleap.com/

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
man thats cool a movie would be amazing gawd al looks ancient!
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it. Is is on air currently anywhere? We've been watching Voyagers on Sat. evening on RTV. They have great old shows.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall that this replaced 'Moonlighting' re-runs on Wed or Thurs on BBC2 at 21:00. I liked it for the first season or two.

I could be wrong, but I recall hearing that it didn't go down well in the US (at first) but because it was popular in the UK it was recommissioned. I also recall the same thing happening with 'X-Files'.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely loved this show and watched every episode. One of my faves....
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thinkin it might be about time I bought the last of the seasons of this show..Since I already have seasons 1 and 2...might as well complete it...And this was one of my top favorite shows anyway.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.eightieskids.com/quantum-leap-alternate-ending-season-6-al-leaper/?fbclid=IwAR26LU4P9xUhYRhDfuqkcbR5T8-88MZRHykiW-nSmlDjVymEhtDlKwCJln4
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched it every week back then. Has it held up well?
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I think it’s held up. I’ve seen it once in awhile on one of those channels which shows older shows.
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NBC was THE network in the 80's. Amazing Stories, Stingray, Miami Vice, Quantum Leap, V (I think) etc...,
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Yes! It seemed as though the head of NBC at the time knew what would be a hit. I think he was Brandon Tartikoff.
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ABC was a close second but NBC had such a variety of quality programming. The Cosby Show was solid. SNL was still a must watch show on Saturday night. Like Uncle Rico, if only I go back in time.
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone watched the reboot?

I tried episode 1 this morning but I'm reserving judgement at the moment, I have a 4 episode rule, if it hasn't grabbed me by then it's history.

The original series was great apart from the ending, I would have preffered Sam getting home to be honest. There was talk of weaving Sam into the reboot but Scott Bakula said he wasn't interested at the time.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home