iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » American idol (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: American idol
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see Matthew either!
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched the final 24 announcement from last night... I had only seen one audition so I've got no perceptions of people... however I feel so sorry for that poor girl who has tried for the last 3 years, I was sure they'd put her through as she makes for a good story. The poor darling was devestated, I don't think she'll be back again.

I didn't get to see too much of the personalities so I can't say yet who I like or dislike, I guess I'll start forming my opinions next week when the performances begin.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have not been watching this season either stitch just not into it for some reason maybe i will next week and see if anyone is worth watching lol also if this is simon's last season with idol i probably won't watch it at all anymore it won't be the same without him for sure!
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls Top 12, here's my take

First girl I missed (Paige I think)

Ashley - I like here but bad choice of song, she seemed out of tune a little, I think the song was too big for right now. Maybe in the future...

Janell - Not really memorable

Lily - I only heard the beginning, I was dragged away kicking and screaming, but kudos to anyone who sings the Beatles.

Caitlin - walked in during the judges comments, don't know what she sang but she was getting a good response. I did laugh when Randy told her not to box herself into a style, because that's what he loves to do the contestants, year in year out. (Note, saw the recap, she did the Beatles too, wow three in one night)

Haeley - Another Beatles song, and really cool and modern. I could imagine Colbie Caillat singing this. Loved it, even though she's dressed as a nurse! Judges were right though about the upper notes.

Lacey - oh honey no. I like her voice, it's very interesting but this was so NOT the song for her. I'm glad she loves the song and that it speaks to her, but please next time choose a song you can sing. I hope she gets another chance to do so. Uh oh, she openly admitted she disagrees with Simon, she's toast.

Michelle - wow she's gorgeous and she seems sweet. I hope she can sing.
Tough song, Fallin'. I love her vibrato. Very very good job. Simon was right, there was no "wow" moment but she is definately safe.

Didi - I liked it first but it didn't go anywhere. Her style is very popular here in Australia right now.

Siobhan - I agree with Kara, a suprising choice but a good one. Lovely falsetto. I just closed my eyes and enjoyed the best performance of the night so far. I think Simon is intrigued by her.

Crystal - the anti-Idol. Anti Idols have enjoyed some decent success here in Oz. That was a great performance, great song for her voice, the harmonica could have been stupid but it worked for her in the context of the song, and I loved the arrangement of the song, it put the emphasis on the opposite beat to the original.

Last girl. Can't really remember her, wasn't impressive.

Were the microphones turned down too low tonight? Everyone seemed too quite, or the band was too loud.

I liked Ellen, I was worried she would be too positive and end up as useless as teats on a bull, but her criticism was very constructive - encouraging but not misleading.

PS thank god for +2 TV, I was able to catch the show again 2 hours later and caught some of the performances I missed first time around.

My predictions - so long Lacey and last gir.

[ 24. February 2010, 03:15: Message edited by: Stitch Groover ]

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best year huh? Yeah right!! I sure hope the guys are better.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit that the girls' performances were all pretty disappointing. I generally don't ever like the guys on AI, so I'm not expecting much from them.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
And time for the lads...

Todrick - really cool interesting version of "Since you've been gone". Probably moved away from the melody a little too much, but as Ellen said, I like that he took a chance. I agreed with all the judges in a way. Simon said the murdered it, but it wasn't that bad.

Aaron - he has a decent country voice for a 16 year old. I didn't think it was anything special but it wasn't bad enough to see him going home just yet.

Jermaine - singing "Get here". Doesn't this song have a good history with AI? I have a feeling that Guarini sang it way back in Season 1 and made the ladies swoon. He's good but he reminds me of a lot of other past contestants - Nikko Smith and Anwar Robinson in particular. There were slight tones of Usher and Neyo in there too, but he doesn't sound unique enough for me.

Tim - Who did he replace? What's the goss? He's a bit sharp in places, and his falsetto is not good, and in a song like "Apologise" you need a great falsetto. I don't like his hair. Unless there's a major improvment, I don't think he's Top 12 material.

Joe - I don't know the song and I can barely hear the music. I like his voice and he connects with the camera really well.

Tyler - he had the swagger to pull this off. He does need more booze and drugs to pull it off fully though lol. I wasn't blown away but I wasn't disappointed. Simon's point about him going to "want to be a rock star school" was interesting coz I thought his diction was too perfect for the song, hence my booze and drugs comment.

Lee - seems like a nice guy but Snow Patrol? They've been the kiss of death on Australian Idol for the last few years. He's adding intensity to the song that's not normally there but he's also going off key at the same time. I hope he makes it through, he seems like a good guy. I didn't watch the preliminary rounds so if Simon thinks this is his best performance, how bad was he before?

John - interesting lower register, I hope his upper is good. His voice reminds of Marty Pellow from "Wet Wet Wet". Not the best choice of song, it didn't really show him off to the best of his ability. I do like his vibrato. I didn't think it was flat like Simon said, but I agree that it was emotionless. Just because a song is important to you doesn't mean you can sing it well.

Michael - I want him to do well, just from watching the package. The tempo is too fast. He's singing it well though. Kara is correct - it wasn't superb but compared to what came before it, it was terrific.

Alex - I like his voice, but once again he sang the wrong song. A recurring theme for tonight. He reminds me a little of Eliot Yamin. Didn't quite get all the notes... I hope that wasn't his best.

Casey - best of the night so far. Awesome. I just wish he'd cut his hair, because underneath it all there's a very handsome man. It's obvious the judges love him with all the joking.

Andy - I don't know the song but I think he's doing a really good job. He missed a couple of the highest notes, but the song showed of his range and style really well.

What's with the music tonight? Last night it was too loud for the girls, tonight it was way to quiet and the vocals were too prominent in the arrangements.

My predictions - almost impossible to pick who'll go home. I know that Casey, Andy and Joe will be safe.
I pick Tim and Jermaine to go.

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Lee and Casey the best. I felt really bad for Tim because he had tears in his eyes after his performance....I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed another week due to sympathy votes.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked casey lee and tyler i think tyler could be a good rocker if he belted it out more?
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee's hot... [Wink] Ahem, anyway, I liked him, Casey and Big Mike. Voice-wise, I liked Casey best. He's not bad to look at either. [Wink] I think the guys did MUCH better than the girls, but as I've said before, I'm not a big fan of female singers in general. Never have been.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todrick- awful rendition of Since you've Been Gone, and he is waaaaay too full of himself. Same with Jermaine. Aaron has a great voice. Hope he does better next week. Casey James is hot with all of his hair, and he can sing. Don't cut your hair Casey- it's what the chicks like!
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

I liked Aaron, too. Even if he did sing a Rascal Flatts song lol. I detest Rascal Flatts.
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Well I didn't pick any of the evictees this week. I don't really care that Janell is gone but Ashley was a shock. Her performance last night wasn't great, but she was being pimped strongly.

I'm very suprised about Joe being eliminated, I thought his voice was terrific. Tyler was another shock elimination, again coz he'd been pimped quite a bit, but I'm glad Alex Lambert got to stay, I like him.

Boohoo Tyler, stop whining.

pettyfan
Member # 2260

I had a feeling Tyler would go.
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
Tyler's performance was pretty horrible vocals-wise. Joe didn't deserve to leave that early though. Like I said, Tim got the sympathy votes....
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can see why munoz was voted out. his performance was completely FORGETTABLE. no one was going to remember him with that performance. these contestants choose songs that are way too big for them to sing (ashley) or choose these obscure songs (songs that the general public won't recognize) so they run that risk.
ashley deserved to go, she did an awful job trying to sing that leona lewis song.
tyler wasn't THAT bad.. not as bad as tim, that's for sure. but america is going to give him another chance, i guess.
simon said everything right. they need to choose the right songs.
in reality, they all weren't really that fantastic. some stood out because they were able to at least carry the tune..and there were only a handful that sang on key.

casey was good, aaron was better. and i love lee. hope he does better next week. not a big fan of andrew garcia, but we'll see if he steps it up too.
the girls are a lost cause to me, at this point. well, maybe not so much with crystal. i really like her. but she needs to really rock out. like simon said, she sounded as though she was singing in a subway. it's true.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
So it's boys tonight, coz Crystal is in hospital and can't perform under doctor's orders. I hope she gets better, I like her so far.

Top 10 Boys -

Mike - Very very good, a major improvement on last week. Our current Idol Stan Walker performed this last year and knocked everyones socks off.

John - I don't know this song. Is there a blues/soul theme tonight? It was a decent performance but I didn't think much of the song. Not memorable for being good or for being bad. He was emotionless in his song last week - this could be an ongoing problem.

Casey - was very good last week. A song with Idol history, wow. Oh, it's "I don't wanna be". I like the song but I think only Bo Bice did it justice on the show. The chorus is very difficult to pull of in this song and he's doing well but not brilliant. It wasn't too low in his register like I remember it was for Chris Richardson. He's very good on the axe too! Probably a small step down from last week for me.

Alex - I don't know this song either but I like it and he did a good job. This was a much better choice of song than last week and it really suited his voice.

Todrick - More toned down that last week, perhaps too much? Poor guy can't win. I do like this performance tho - OK he's building it up now. He's a very good singer there's no denying that but he needs to find a style that people enjoy.

Jermaine - before the ad break, Ryan announced "Jermaine coming up next" and I was like who? I had to look back at my notes from last week to remember who he was. And he's doing another old boring song that's been done to death on this show. Why not try something modern. Chris Brown (boo), Neyo, Usher... I don't care how this guy sounds, I want him to go just for being dull.

Andrew - I love this song! Good song, good voice, nice song.. in theory it should work but sadly there was something off about it. At times he sounded both sharp and flat at the same time which is simply not possible yet here we are! He finished well by holding the notes without embellishment but it was not enough.

Aaron - More vibrato in his voice than I noticed last week. I still don't get why everyone is doign such old songs tonight. Get with the program people! Having said that, this was a decent performance, good enough to keep him here for another week.

Tim - another trainwreck? Slightly sharp during the first verse, the chorus saw an improvement. 2nd verse sharp again. Tim has to go home this week or he runs the risk of becoming the new Sanjaya.

Lee - I really hope he does better than last week coz I like him. Listening to his package, was he the one who spent time in prison? Does anyone know? Oh God he's singing Hinder. Someone please shoot him and put him out of my misery. He's making it really difficult for me to like him. He's singing it well and it's definately a better performance that last week and actually one of the best tonight.

Best performances tonight - first and last, Mike and Lee.
Time to go - John and Jermaine

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
I totally agree with your comments. Lee and Mike were the best of the bunch. I actually thought Tim Urban did a much better job this week and was even better than some of the others.
buffalo-girl
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
i fianlly watched the guys last night and my two faves are lee and casey i love lee's voice nice and raspy!! lol i would love to hear him sing a nickelback song!!
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todrick- another awful performance. I guess he must get sympathy votes from the little pre-teen girls who think he is cute.
Jermain- more bad attitude from a church-goer? He is a jerk. Hope these two get voted off.
Tim- awful too.
Imissed the second half because I watch Lost. No reason to record it as I'm sure the internet will be filled with reviews of last night's and tonight's performances.
I hope that Crystal gets a brush and comb and fixes that mess.

Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

Stitch, Lee wasn't the guy who was in prison...he didn't make it past group night. His name was Matthew Lawrence.

I loved Lee last night. [Big Grin] He's my new David Cook I think, LOL. I also liked Aaron, Big Mike and Casey was good, but not as good as he was last year.

I agree--seems like only Bo where is he now Bice was the only one who did justice to I Don't Wanna Be.

Oh, and LOL @ Pitt's description of Crystal!!

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kara is a million times more irritating than last year.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
i agree with you kara is very annoying she is one of the reasons i haven't watched that much this year? i did watch to see who went home last night and wasn't surprised either? glad lee is still safe! so far from what i heard from the girls i really only like lacy?
pettyfan
Member # 2260

I don't like Lacey at all. I sure am glad Haeley went home though.
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
I missed the girls performances show and the results show this week but luckily Fox8 here repeats it all on Saturdays. The girls were overall so much better than the guys, and I especially liked Siobhan, Paige, Caitlyn, Lily and Crystal. I even liked Didi but I think I might be alone there.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home