iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » What are you currently reading? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: What are you currently reading?
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there all. I myself am currently reading a Discworld novel, Interesting Times. This is one where that thickwit Rincewind the Wizzard takes centre stage.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See if you can spot a theme -

In the bedroom I'm reading "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King, it's a supernatural drama about the widow of a famous writer.

In the loungeroom I have "Just after sunset" by Stephen King on the go, it's a short story collection.

In the car, I'm rereading "Cell" by Stephen King, about a mobile phone virus that turns people into a zombie like state.

In the bathroom, I have "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King.

But I don't only read Stephen King, I like Anne Rice and I really love Matthew Reilly novels.

Don't worry though, I've read all the classics too, mostly in my teens and younger. I remember reading Moby **** on a visit to my aunt's when I was about 7.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be a huge King fan, but I haven't enjoyed a novel of his since From a Buick 8. I just read a book about the rise and fall of heavy metal.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using multipathing devices with iSCSI initiators on RHEL platforms. Whoo hoo... [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently reading

-

The Fifth Discworld novel: Sourcery

And listening to..
Isaac Asimov - The Complete Robot
H.G. Wells - The Invisible Man

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whilst I enjoy all Discworld books, those involving Rincewind are my least favorite. I'm really enjoying the more recent ones (The Truth, Going Postal and Making Money) and love those involving the City Watch. Mort is still my all time favorite though.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
I'm currently reading

-

The Fifth Discworld novel: Sourcery

And listening to..
Isaac Asimov - The Complete Robot
H.G. Wells - The Invisible Man

Oh dear me, I own that one, too. Rincewind is such a hopeless sook, isn't he? If you were in a tight corner on the Discworld, then he would be the last person whom you would EVER want to turn to, much less share it with. He would long to rack off quicksmart -- which of course makes the novels all the more appealing! To me, anyway! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

It's great to see so many Discworld fans. When did you first hear about them, and what is your favourite?

I have my Brother to thank for getting me into Discworld. I borrowed a copy of "The Colour of Magic" and never looked back. That was about 15 years ago, and I still enjoy re-reading through the whole series. I'd have to say that my favourite is probably "Guards! Guards!" -- the very first City watch book, and major influence on the 1st computer game.

Anybody reading this who's thinking: "What the hell is Discworld!!??!!" -- Do yourself a favour and check them out.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
What actually caused me to start purchasing the Discworld novels is a fictional characters book that I own: Imaginary People (Second Edition) by David Pringle. This lists famous fictional characters from television, films, novels and so forth with over 1,400 invented identities featured. Just for the record, the first Discworld novel that I ever read was The Colour of Magic.

[ 10. July 2009, 02:58: Message edited by: LoverswithCassie ]

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
I'd have to say that my favourite is probably "Guards! Guards!" -- the very first City watch book.[/URL]

"It's a million to one chance, but it might just work...."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
I am presently reading Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis. I bought this at the Bendigo Library for just 50 cents.

[ 10. July 2009, 15:39: Message edited by: LoverswithCassie ]

Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster McFly you Irish bug:

I found this very interesting article about quantum physics and the universe. It's amazing how many shapes are formed in space...  -

[Big Grin]

[Big Grin] Sometimes, I think the universe is trying to tell us something...
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rum Diary By Hunter S. Thompson

Great so far, started last year but didn't get the time to complete it, thank God for bookmarks.

[ 11. July 2009, 14:38: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy. I've never read any of his books. Anyone read this or any other Ellroy novels?
I like the show Murder by the Book on Trutv (formerly CourtTv) and he hosted one episode. The story was about the true life murder of his mother when he was a young child, and as far as I know, it is still unsolved.

Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slash--good so far--I think I've gotten onto a rock autobio kick.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
will be starting later on tonight: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More interesting "technical" papers. This time, HA (High Availability) clustering with fail-over...

Wait, I did manage to read several off-road magazines over the weekend. Four Wheeler, JP Magazine, Fourwheel and Offroad. This weekend maybe some Blackbelt magazine and Inside Kung Fu magazine.

I have a stack of stuff to get through!!!

[Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by Sam Alice In cHAINs:
will be starting later on tonight: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I saw the Harry Potter movie the other day. I think it was totally unrealistic. I mean, a ginger kid at school - with two friends?
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'm at the moment reading yet another Discworld novel, Witches Abroad. Here Granny Weatherwax leads the trio -- herself, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick -- to put a stop to a servant girl's efforts to marry a prince.

[ 25. July 2009, 16:40: Message edited by: LoverswithCassie ]

pettyfan
Member # 2260

Finally finished Slash. Good book. Right now I'm reading Black Hills by Nora Roberts. I'm trying to decide if I wanna break down and buy Fieldy's (from Korn) book.
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have to pick up Slash, pettyfan. I have read the Motley Crue bio, a GnR bio, and Anthony Kiedis' bio, which was really hard to take at times because of the huge amount of drug abuse. I haven't had much time for reading lately, maybe I oughtta take time and relax and sit out on the patio tonight with the James Elroy novel I started.
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

I think you should, Pitt. I don't remember if you said whether you'd read the Heroin Diaries or not, but it's really good too.
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am being an angsty teen and am reading the Twilight books. I only bought them 5 days ago and have already read Twilight and New Moon.
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently reading "New York, New York" by Earl Mac Rauch, and "How To Be A Hit Songwriter" by Molly-Ann Leikin...trying to write a hit song that U2 will record before they get too old!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home