iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » MLB thread

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MLB thread
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hockey is still taking a lot of my time, although with the Pens down 0-2 already, I'm thinking it's Detroit's cup by now.

Anyways there was a time when I used to know almost every MLB player in the league, but a little out of the loop now with the Expos being gone for almost 5 years. So I know some of you are diehard baseball fans? What are your teams? How many games you see in person? What's your view on baseball now with all the rampant steroid use? Baseball used to be called the national past time, does that term still ring true?

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KC Royals out of geographic loyalty [Smile] . I'm not into it like years ago. The whole country has lost most of it's enthusiasm for baseball IMO. When I was a kid everyone watched BB and new the teams, scores, etc. Now it's all about football.

I think the first thing that really hurt the game were the strikes, in 1972, 1981, 1994 (last straw for many fans). Then the steroid sh1t along with all of the other cry baby player crap and look how long it takes to play a game now! Step up to the freakin' plate and hit the damned ball!!! They take forever to get to the plate, then, they stand around banging dirt off of their shoes, then, they back off of the plate, blah blah blah...

Thank God they still server beer at the stadium... [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Razz]

- jdocster

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there would be any justice in baseball, there would be a Pirates-Royals World Series just out of consideration of the beatings those two teams have taken over the years. Being perrenial cellar dwellers while fatcat franchises like Bosox and Yanks fill their coffers every year with the best players on the market. I'm not a big fan of Bud Selig at all and think he should have resigned by now if he had any integrity.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bud Selig is horrible for the game of baseball.

What baseball needs to do is have a salary cap simillar to the one they have in the NFL. This will bring much more parity to the game.

It's pretty good to see though that a team like Minnesota being a small market team be competitive year in and year out. Shows what a team can do with a good farm system.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DuB1978
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7950

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DuB1978   Email DuB1978   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KC are not that bad this year,Zack G. is having a cy young year.I'm a Yankees fan (since forever)
and I agree with you on the salary cap.but you cant blame these teams for spending the money that the fans put into them.instead of just pocketing the money.If there was a salary cap nobody could touch the Twins and Rangers,there fram systems are the best.

Oh yeah Bud sucks!!!!!!!!
I think they should strip or put a asterisk by Bonds homerun records.Its a total disrespect towards Hank Aaron and Roger Maris.

Posts: 82 | From: Owensboro KY | Registered: Apr 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DuB1978:
If there was a salary cap nobody could touch the Twins and Rangers,there fram systems are the best.

But if there was a salary cap then the other teams would be forced to develop from within instead of relying on the poorer teams being their feeder system.

It's too bad that Griffey Jr had all those injury plagued seasons otherwise he probably would have been the one to break Aaron's record. As far as we all know Griffey has been clean.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DuB1978
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7950

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DuB1978   Email DuB1978   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Griffey was my fav. non yankee to play ball and i just think what he would have been in pinstripes.IMO if he would have stayed in the American Leauge he would have had both records.he has the best swing in baseball ever and his swing would have been perfect for yankee stadium.
Posts: 82 | From: Owensboro KY | Registered: Apr 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
It was amazing what Griffey accomplished the first 10 years as a Mariner, too bad he succumbed to all the injuries with the Reds. He's an example of what your typical, clean career would be like. Think of all the homeruns Bonds hit after age 35 when most careers are winding down. Taking stuff to boost your stats when you were always good enough to be in the hall of fame anyways. Without the juice, Bonds could have hit about like 600 homeruns like your typical HOF career.
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Albert Pujols just jacked his 30th home run of the year. I feel he is the real deal and he can steal the meal!!!
Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmer Ted
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2663

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Farmer Ted   Email Farmer Ted   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Royals are my team but its hard these days. At least Kaufmann stadium is really bad a$$ with the renovations.
Posts: 59 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to CitiField Saturday night and saw my Yankees kick the Mets a$$ with a one-hitter. Nice sweep we got too!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a die-hard Yankee fan, and I've been pleased with the way they've been playing as of late, but I'm totally perplexed as to why the Yanks can't beat the Red Sox at all this year. Hopefully, things will turn around in the second half.
Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a Mets fan (a consquence of living in New York and first discovering baseball in 1986). I used to be a serious MLB fan, knew every player in the league, kept up with all the stats, etc., but that ended when I moved back home to Hawaii in the early '90s. With the time difference and the lack of consistent coverage for any team other than the Braves (because of TBS), I stopped keeping up and generally lost interest. Now I usually only tune in during the playoffs. I wish we had a pro team here, but with the 160-game schedule it would be nearly impossible. The players would be suffering constant jetlag. Plus Aloha Stadium is falling to pieces, so we'd need to invest in a whole new facility.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have been a mets fan for years also use to love watching keith hernandez (he was hot back then) lol i still watch them when i can!
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DuB1978
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7950

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
I went to CitiField Saturday night and saw my Yankees kick the Mets a$$ with a one-hitter. Nice sweep we got too!

What a game to see,your pretty lucky.And you got to see Rivera's 500th save and first RBI.GO YANK'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DuB1978:
What a game to see,your pretty lucky.And you got to see Rivera's 500th save and first RBI.GO YANK'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am lucky to be a Yankee fan for 27 years and have gotten to witness alot of championships and other great personal achievements live....especially when it was at the House that Ruth built! I have also suffered from '82 to '93 with some awful teams and never making the playoffs.

BTW, the game where Rivera got #500 was on Sunday night....I was not there live, but did watch it on tv. [Smile]

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo-girl:
i have been a mets fan for years also use to love watching keith hernandez (he was hot back then) lol i still watch them when i can!

Keith was great. I was also a big HoJo fan.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Watched some of the Home run derby last night, some of it I like, but it drags on too long for me.
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Watched some of the Home run derby last night, some of it I like, but it drags on too long for me.

I used to like it years ago, I think it sucks now. Way, way, way, way too long and it's basically the same show year after year. I can't stand Joe Morgan and Chris Berman either.

P.S.
Why the heck can't the Yankees ever beat the Angels? [Confused]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home