iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Restaurant Service (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Restaurant Service
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't go out to eat that often, but when I do I 'd really appreciate getting some decent service. Have any of you gone out to eat lately, and what type of service have you gotten? Last night we took our friend out to eat. It was a going away dinner, he is moving to Florida. There were 10 people in our party. By the time we were seated, around 8:00, the restaurant wasn't very busy. But we still had mediocre, at best, service. Everyone got their drinks,except me, right away. I had to wait another 10 minutes for the waitress to bring mine out. Then she took our order, and we never saw her again until our food came out. Then it was another 10 minute wait after that for me to get a re-fill. Plus she didn't even notice that we didn't have silverware, I had to inform her of that as she started to serve our meals. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I used to work as a server/waitress, and I just got used to getting screamed at all the time. If I worked breakfast, the old farts would literally stand up and scream that they needed more coffee, or they would wave their cup in the air. Like we didn't know to come around with pots of coffee for refills! They all wanted immediate private service. We had one man who used to come in for breakfast, and he would literally chug his coffee down. So we had to start giving him extra coffee in those little tea pots. One girl, who had only worked breakfast on the weekends and hadn't ever waited on that jack ***, got screamed at and berated by him because she just took him out a cup of coffee but no teapots filled with coffee. Plus he used literally about 8-10 sweeteners per cup, so we'd have to take him a bowl filled with sweeteners too. I don't make a stink when I get bad service, but I just don't feel that that lady deserved an 18% tip, which was automatically added on since we had a party of 10. I'm sure that a lot of you are thinking "she deserved to get bad service". But I only said one thing to her, and that was that we all needed silverware, duh.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who would think you deserve bad service for asking for silverware?

I actually don't believe that they should ever automatically add a tip on to anyone's bill.

First of all, I think they should pay waiter's and waitresses a decent wage to begin with- the restaurants are making a ton of money- and yet we pay their employees wages.

Think about that.....as customers your paying the salary of their employees.

They should pay their employees at least minimum wage- so that they don't have to run their butts off for demanding people...and large groups, and they should never automatically add in tips- you should tip based on the service...because that is what a tip is...it's like getting a nice little bonus for going above and beyond what is required. If the server knew they wouldn't get any money for doing bad service- then they might make sure there's silverware on the table and that your drink is refilled, otherwise why should they do anything they don't have to...because either way- they are getting paid- and they don't own the restaurant, so why should they care.

All they are doing is bringing your food and sitting it on the table...that is their job. There are very few jobs that you tip people for doing their actual job.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've worked as a busboy in a restaurant before but never as a server but I know how easy it is for a server to get sidetracked away from their tables even during slow times in the restaurant.

What I hated seeing was people who would stiff the servers or give them a lousy tip when they received good service but the food wasn't up to their standards. If they have a problem with the food they should either ask to speak to the chef or the manager of the restaurant and try and get a discount on their meal. It's unfair to take it out on the server who wasn't responsible for the quality of the food and they should be tipped on their service.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also want to add that I do believe in tipping my waiter/waitress. I usually tip around 20% or so.

I tip the pizza delivery person around $3.

I tip the cab drivers who bring my drunk *** home $5

When I used to go get my haircut before I started shaving my head I'd tip my beautician $5

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my b/f and i go out a lot. as far as service goes.. i can't complain. in this economy, customer service has been better, IMO. i think businesses such as restaurants, want people to come out and spend money so they've stepped up the service as far as i can see. there are so many places struggling to stay open these days.

we always tip 20%. always. we tip for our food to be placed in front of us..our refills on drinks, or anything else we order. i'm sure i've had to wait longer at times for certain things we request, but i don't make a huge deal if someone forgot 1 thing. it happens. besides, we always try to be pleasant to the servers because we want good service in return. the last thing i need is someone spitting in my food because i complained over something small. if the entire experience turns out to be disastrous, i'd wait until the end and say something to a manager.

if there is only 1 server for a party of 10.. i don't see what's wrong with a pre-added tip. that's a lot of people to serve for one party. i guess it depends on the place you go to.

i have never worked as a server, ever. but i can imagine the frustrations that come with that line of work.

i'd like to think i am a generous tipper. i always tip my delivery guys nicely, my waiters, my beauticians, repairman....etc.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a huge tipper. I believe in letting people know they do a good job....I just don't think it's right to only pay them $2.01 an hour- and that the public is responsible for making up their wages...that really isn't right.

I tip the girl who cuts my hair- a ton- because I am glad that I finally found someone that listens to me when I tell them how I want my hair cut- and they don't think 1 inch = 6.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were out for dinner at a Chinese restuarant in Melbourne on Thursday night, we had a part of 12. The service was very attentive, almost to the point of being cloying, but we never had to ask for anything!

Wine bottles were replaced the instant they were emptied, as were the water jugs and empty plates.

The funniest thing was that at one point they took all the small plates from our table settings, only to bring them back out again 10 minutes later!

We don't tip here in Australia, I guess our wages are better than those in the USA.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tip well IF I am served well. There's only been two instances that I haven't tipped, and that was at the Hard Rock Cafe in Gatlinburg and at one of our local steakhouses. I don't go out to eat that often but a friend of mine had an experience similar to yours, Pitt. She was with two other people, the restaurant wasn't crowded and they still couldn't seem to serve them. She also said that you could hear the waitresses arguing with the cooks in the back. Anyway, they all wound up getting free food because it was such a mess.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to work in food service and I know it can really suck at times. You know, waiters ARE people too... [Smile]

I have a couple of stead-fast rules...

- always start the tip at 20%, more if the service is better, less if it sucks. If the waiter/waitress is new, 20% even if they screw up...

- Always give the pizza delivery guy between $3 and $5 for a pizza or two... 3 or more pizzas $6 & up.

- NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER, send food back to the kitchen!!! If you don't know why, work in a kitchen for a while and you'll find out... I don't care how nice the place is, this rule applies EVERYWHERE...

- ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, be polite to anyone who comes into contact with my food...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to wait tables back in the day too, so I tend to size things up. I always look around to see if it's the server's fault or not. If they're slammed and are stuck waiting way too many tables at once because the hostess sat their section wrong, or because they're short-staffed, then I cut them some slack. That's not really their fault. And I know from experience that speaking to the manager and putting the blame on the restaurant as opposed to the server is futile; it inevitably still results in the server getting chewed out since most managers are jerkoffs who look to scapegoat the little guy rather than question their own organizational tactics.

On the other hand, if the server is discourteous, flighty, or too busy chatting up their friends to answer my requests, then I lose my patience. This happened to me the other day when I had dinner with my mom. We asked the waitress for tartar sauce 4 times before she remembered to bring it, I got one beverage refill the entire 45 mins. we were there, and then we had to ask her 3 times to get a box. And her entire section consisted of three tables. Lame.

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tip based on service. I'll go as high as 30% if the service is excellent. But if we get the teenage kid with an attitude who doesn't wanna be there type then sorry you didn't earn it. Four of us were at a chain restaurant bar one night at the bar drinking mixed drinks mixed extra strong because the bartender was a friend of ours. He only charged us 30 cents a drink so needless to say we left him a huge tip.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
When we went out to eat last Thursday, our service was horrible. We were the only ones in the place. There were people there when we came in, but we got there around 7PM, so the main dinner crowd was gone, and there were 5 of us. We sat there for 30 minutes, after we were done eating, just waiting and waiting for her to come back...we thought we might get dessert, but by the end of everything, we said the heck with it...and we had to go get our waitress and just get our check. My husband left her a $6 tip on a $100 Bill...Usually we would have tipped someone at least $20 for that...and I thought... I wonder if she just thought we were cheap...or if she realized we were unhappy. Because I think she was clueless as to what she was even doing. My friend said we should have told the manager. I actually don't like to complain , unless it is absolutely horrible.

This past summer...this lady that worked at a flower warehouse - that me and 2 of my friends went to...she was horrible to us....my one friend got these little pots for a thing we were doing for the garden club, there were 2 prices on some of them, and we didn't know why, all we did was ask, and she went nuts on us. I was standing in line, behind my friend, and I had a cart full of stuff....

she was so rude, it was unbelievable.....she grabbed my stuff, she never said hello, have a nice day, and she practically dropped my stuff on the floor when she handed it to me.

On our way out, we stopped to find the manager, but the manager was just as big of a jerk- and I asked her who was her boss....because I told them they were horrible to their customers, and that all 3 of us owned businesses and we would never be back again, then they started saying...we are so sorry...I said, it's too late.

I never understand people who have jobs where they deal with the public, and you get nice people in line- and you treat them like jerks.

pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rude managers p!ss me off, too. I won't go to our local Kay Jewelers because of their rude manager. If a customer hasn't gotten rude with you, why should you cop an attitude with them? When I worked at Sam's Club, if we got an attitude even once we got chewed out for it. It just didn't happen.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from the Steve Buscemi 'Reservoir Dogs' school of tips, I agree the establishment should pay staff a civillised wage to begin with otherwise you're just appeasing their greed IMO.

Comic shop owners are rude, watch the deleted scene on your 'Chasing Amy' DVD, that's exactly what they're like.

Serving is a tough, thankless job so I try not to complain, nor do I deduct money from pizza delivery people: they've got a death wish as it is, 20 minutes late? forgetaboutit, it ain't worth your life, kid.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm usually very generous to delivery guys (unless, of course, they go out of their way to **** me off). I usually tip them $10 on an order, and during the Super Bowl I gave the guy $20 since we ordered from two places and I knew he really had to wade through it (plus he was missing the game). After awhile they get to know you and you get priority service. Last year during the SB they were running over an hour and a half wait and the guy got me my food in 20 minutes flat.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah... Tip the pizza guy well and eat sooner... They don't even look for my house number anymore. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking with two of our friends who were with us the night of the **** poor service. They came out and said "was that waitress a ditz or what?". So it wasn't just me that thought our service was poor. She had no other tables, we were there at 8pm. Most of the dinner crowd had cleared out already. There were probably 4 other tables in the whole huge restaurant with people still eating. So my guess is that she went into the back and was probably either too busy flirting with the manager or cooks, or she just figured since she was automatically getting an 18% tip, it didn't matter what kind of service she gave us. It won't happen again when I go there. I will inform the manager if we get crappy service. But only after I have gotten my food served, that way I don't have to worry about spit in the food. And after 8 years in the business, if I had ever seen someone do that, I would have told our manager, who would hopefully done something about that.
Oh, and btw, we are always good tippers. My husband even feels bad leaving a lesser tip for crappy service, but I have no qualms about that. I had my fill of getting chewed out for not giving someone the "correct" type of jelly for their toast, even though I was no mindreader.

Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question -

Because tipping is so ingrained in the American service culture, does it mean that meals are cheaper because the resturant doesn't have to pay the staff so much?

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
But only after I have gotten my food served, that way I don't have to worry about spit in the food. And after 8 years in the business, if I had ever seen someone do that, I would have told our manager, who would hopefully done something about that.

It disturbs me how much popular culture has made contaminating people's food with various bodily fluids or other filth into such a funny little prank. I don't think that's cool at all. I've worked in food service in the past, and I've dealt with my fair share of rude customers, but I would never do that to someone's meal no matter how much they offended me. That's akin to intentionally poisoning someone in my book.
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about ******* customers that don't deserve service, let alone good service?

never think of yourself as above others....no speak no slave

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I think like Journey....even if someone is a royal pain in the butt...you never spit in someone's food...that is the grossest thing. I know someone who did that...when a girl she didn't like came through the Drive-Thru , she spit in her hamburger...she got fired, someone told...but can you imagine eating that and not knowing? I know someone else who picked their nose and stuck it in a pizza...he owned the place- there's alot of sick people out there...if you think about those things, you'd never leave your home.

I honestly can not eat fast food...not just because I hate the taste of it...I can not ever look at who's handling the food, and wonder if they washed their hands before touching my food-because it is unbelievable how many places do NOT use gloves when handling food.

You hope that when you go to better, more upscale places- that things are handled better, but you'll never know for sure.

Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just see a major decline in manners from both customer and server in this day and age
Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Your right Eddie....people's manners have declined in every way they possibly could.

I can't even count how many times, people have slammed a door in my face, going in to a store....people use to hold the door open for you- now they could care less.

How often do you hear people even say Thank you, or have a nice day?

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:

How often do you hear people even say Thank you, or have a nice day?

More often than I can count

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch Groover:
I have a question -

Because tipping is so ingrained in the American service culture, does it mean that meals are cheaper because the resturant doesn't have to pay the staff so much?

Stitch,

No meals are not getting any cheaper... Not everyone is a good tipper and waiters get screwed all of the time. That's why I and anyone who's ever worked for tips always tip well.

How do they tip down under? 20% or less?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home