iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Boxing..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boxing..
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any fans of the sport on here? I'm a big fan of UFC, but Boxing will always be number one for me..
I'm off to London today for tom nights Amir Khan Oisin Fagan fight.. Should be a cracker..

So my favourite fighters ever are:

Heavyweight: Mike Tyson
Middleweight: Joe Calzaghe
Welterweight: Ricky Hatton
Lightweight: Barry Mc Guigan..

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to watch a lot of boxing, but then kind of lost interest sometime around 2000 or so. Now I barely ever watch it. I do watch a lot of ultimate fighting now, though.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by journey:
I used to watch a lot of boxing, but then kind of lost interest sometime around 2000 or so. Now I barely ever watch it. I do watch a lot of ultimate fighting now, though.

Seems to be the case with a lot of people these days.
I grew up watching the heavyweight division in the late eighties early nineties, Tyson at his peak, Holyfield, Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Frank Bruno and the like. It was the top division of course. Now days it's a laughing stock, dominated by one dimensional Eastern European fighters. The Americans have no great Heavyweight for the first time in history.

So my attention in the last 10 years has shifted to the new Golden Division, Welterweight.
De La Hoya, Mayweather, Paquaio, Hatton etc. It is a superb spectacle and the big money fights are now here. Lets just hope Heavyweights make a comeback someday, but for now, Welterweight is King...

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should mention this Jack, because I'm reading Norman Mailer's 'The Fight' (about The Rumble In The Jungle) at the moment. Not too keen on the UFC myself, but I remember the days when Ken Shamrock was king of the octagon.

Favourite Boxer of All Time: 'The Greatest' Muhammed Ali

Favourites from today and yesteryear
Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Danny Williams, Amir Khan, Chris Eubank, Steve Collins, Prince Naseem Hamed, Nigel Benn. No one seems to like Enzo Maccarinelli but I think he’s quite a tough fighter, David Haye is also on the rise.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Kash:
Funny you should mention this Jack, because I'm reading Norman Mailer's 'The Fight' (about The Rumble In The Jungle) at the moment. Not too keen on the UFC myself, but I remember the days when Ken Shamrock was king of the octagon.

Favourite Boxer of All Time: 'The Greatest' Muhammed Ali

Favourites from today and yesteryear
Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Danny Williams, Amir Khan, Chris Eubank, Steve Collins, Prince Naseem Hamed, Nigel Benn. No one seems to like Enzo Maccarinelli but I think he’s quite a tough fighter, David Haye is also on the rise.

I'm off to London today for Amir Khan and Enzo Macerenelli's fights tom night..

Good list by the way. Ali before my time, but he was The Greatest!!

xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'll oalways love boxing over ufc, which i don't really watch at all, but ever since all the fights went on pay per view i've never really kept interest in it.

i like the old days when you could get championship fights on wide world of sports. i could go on and on about all the great fights i saw as a kid. it's a shame nowadays. and there are way to many belts to be won.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like boxing. I like UFC though. Did anyone watch the semifinals on Wed. night? I was really disappointed in that Khrystoff guy losing! I had high hopes for him.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to love boxing in the 80's and 90's. Mike Tyson in his prime was a must see for me. He is my all-time favorite. I don't watch much now.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boxing has become a dead sport..(somewhat). but i used to love watching it, and still enjoy matches from time to time.
i just finished watching the 24/7 special on HBO for the de la hoya/pacquaio fight tonight. i'm going to a relative's house for a big gathering to see the fight!
i'm not a HUGE fan but i can keep up ok... [Smile]

i do not like UFC. i try to be a good wifey and watch all the sports with the guys every now and then but UFC is something i don't care for at all.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Similar story....rarely see boxing now, but watch UFC. I do still love boxing, and watched it quite a bit when I was growing up....always loved watching the heavyweights the best...Foreman, Tyson....some of my favs are Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran. My Mom's first cousin, who is also our next door neighbor, was at one time, in the featherweight division, the top contender in the WORLD...his name is Art Hafey (The Toy Tiger, The Irish Tiger)....early 70's. I love watching some of his old fights...quite the little scrapper....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
I used to love boxing in the 80's and 90's. Mike Tyson in his prime was a must see for me. He is my all-time favorite. I don't watch much now.

Iron Mike, alright..
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
Well my experiance at the live fight Saturday night was a mixed one. First the surprise of seeing Ulsterman Martin Rogan defeat London giant and Olymoic gold medallist Audley Harrison in a fantastic 10 round Heavyweight contest, one of the best fights I've seen in this division in many a year.

Then the dissappointment of seeing Oisin Fagan knocked in two by Amir Khan. Personally I think our boy was canon fodder for a much bigger stronger yet damaged Khan. But it was a great night all the same.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home