iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Movies Based Off Of Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movies Based Off Of Books
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Author's Homepage   Email YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just throwing this out there...

I do believe that the most ENTERTAINING book title that the book was turned into a movie (for me at least) has to go to the book that Blade Runner was based off of. The original title is "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?"

I did a fake book award thing in school for Movies that were based off of books. (Awards didn't go to movies that stuck close to the book but were good movies on their own. Neverending Story was SOOOO on that list! Thank you Germany!)

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I've read and enjoyed a book, I usually can't really appreciate the movie which is based on it. It somehow destroys my imagination of the characters etc.

The only exception for me was Lord of the Rings.

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deathbystereo80:
When I've read and enjoyed a book, I usually can't really appreciate the movie which is based on it. It somehow destroys my imagination of the characters etc.

deathbystereo80, you are so right about that. The movie will never do the book justice....it just can't beat your own imagination. One HUGE example for me is The Martian Chronicles. I still love the movies made about the stories, but the book is a masterpiece....one of my favorite books of all time.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Am Legend is one of my favorite books, but IMO the movie was horrible......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Author's Homepage   Email YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
I Am Legend is one of my favorite books, but IMO the movie was horrible......

I really need to read that book. For one, look at the three different movies it has spawned. Omega Man
The Last Man On Earth (LOVE VINCENT PRICE!)
I Am Legend
(and the cheap version of I Am Legend, I Am Omega)

I just want to know which ones (or one) kept closest to the book.

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love to read stephen king's books then see the movies especially loved the shining, and sometimes they come back! dee [Cool]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also love Stephen King novels. But there are only a few movie adaptions that I really like.

I agree on Sometimes They Come Back and want to add The Green Mile and Stand By Me.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird, and I think the movie did it justice. As for Stephen King, I love his stuff. I always watch the movies, and I've read all his books. Some, like Stand by Me, have been really good. Others, well, not so good.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Joe Pistone's book DONNIE BRASCO after watching the movie, and now I can hardly watch it again. It just seems shallow, empty and superficial.... wont ever make that mistake again.... READING BAD [Smile]
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny is superb in the film as is Al. But I've never read the book and after what Jay Lee just said I never will!! Donnie Brasco the movie all the way!!! [Smile]
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One HUGE example for me is The Martian Chronicles. I still love the movies made about the stories, but the book is a masterpiece....one of my favorite books of all time.
"If I am elected, I shall make sure that we have a library containing all the science fictions masters; Asimov... Clarke..."

"What about Ray Bradbury?"

"I'm aware of his work!"

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one Logan.

Speaking of Stephen King....Misery! Great book AND movie!

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
I have quite a collection of Stephen King, haven't read all that many with school and work. Must say that I LOOOOVVVEE Cell and I hope they never make a movie out of it. I'm pretty sure that it would be slaughtered. And we can't have that, now can we? Negatory.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Good one Logan.
I badly paraphrased the Simpsons (from back when they ruled the world).

quote:
Must say that I LOOOOVVVEE Cell and I hope they never make a movie out of it. I'm pretty sure that it would be slaughtered. And we can't have that, now can we? Negatory.
Negatory? Unfortunately, that's a big ten-four good buddy:

IMDB Cell

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can't believe i forgot the green mile and misery i love both of those movies too i like red rose too which was on sci-fi a few times already i have the cell but have not read it yet? along with about 10 other's by stephen king i have to read yet i mostly read in the winter that's probably why i am so behind on stephen's books lol dee [Smile]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home