iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » I am sick of email scams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am sick of email scams
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every day I get some kind of letter written by some poor old lady who spent her life investing all her money, and now she wants to give it all to me so that I can give it to all the other poor people of the world, and all the orphanages....because she is dying of lung cancer...

I get story after story like that...of people saying to help them....and they refer to God in these emails...

I know they are all scam artists...and there are so many similiar ones.

Someone tried to do it to me with my Bed N Breakfast...saying they were coming to my area to do work in a church, and wanted to rent all my rooms for 9 nights...and it was a bunch of garbage...

but I can't imagine what kind of person is capable of that kind of stuff...and how they sleep at night ...not even knowing the people who's money they are taking and if they left that person homeless or what became of them.

It is really sad.

There is scam after scam out there on the internet.

Does anyone else get these type of emails?

How come we can't send them to the police to track them down?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting the police involved is a waste of time. Setting up and terminating an email address doesn't take much effort. By the time the cops get around to them, the scammers take their money and run...before they prey on their next victim.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...you could trap them real easy.

Some years ago someone took my credit card off Paypal, and stole $1200 from me. I never knew that you could take money out of a mac machine without the card....that you can just punch the account numbers in.

The person went to 8 different 7-11's within a few blocks of each other in California. I had the store locations....I wrote to the police in that town....all they would have had to do was go to those locations...I had the exact time and date they were there...so they could have pulled the video footage and got them on camera...but they didn't do it.

That's why people get away with it.

If anybody just would bait them...and then go set them up...they could catch them easy. But, nobody wants to do it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of them are smarter than the cops that's the sad part...........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to scambait a few of them when i was offended enough.And kept them busy for some time with stupid reply`s and requests to waste their time.But there were just to many of them [Roll Eyes]
Here is a website about that

[ 12. September 2008, 01:51: Message edited by: bandit ]

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bandit:
I used to scambait a few of them when i was offended enough.And kept them busy for some time with stupid reply`s and requests to waste their time.But there were just to many of them [Roll Eyes]
Here is a website about that

I used to do that sometimes, it was fun to string them along, ask them for more information about themselves... one time I told them a sob story about how I could use the 12 million dollars from the Nigerian government to help pay to get my children back from kidnappers! They were very concerned about poor Tiffani and Wilbur....
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever heard of spam filters? I don't get any of that, and I never EVER open an E-mail that I don't know who is from! I never open my door if im not expecting anyone, and I don't answer the phone if I don't know the number... that's just the sad reality!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes JAY LEE.Anyway there are so many websites/stuff/forums/software downloads,you know almost everyone require your e-mail today.The result in the end is a lot of spam.I have solved this by using another e-mail ad just for stuff like that.

On my regular one,i use your policy,and are not affected much.
At home my doors are unlocked 24hours,as my 120 lbs(55kg) mastiff take care of that part [Cool] And when the mobile phone starts to really bug me,i find this method very effective:

-

BTW,funny Stitch [Big Grin] I`m sure they were concerned alright [Roll Eyes] I have had a few funny scambaits like that myself.But i lost interest in the end.I have had a few posted though.

[ 12. September 2008, 11:33: Message edited by: bandit ]

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get more crap in my inbox than regular mail. The blockers just can't get them all. I just delete them without opening them.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a bit long, but I highly recommend reading the Powerbook Prank. It's hilarious.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

This guy pranks the scammer and ends up making him pay a bunch of money for a piece of crap.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I just can't believe how common it is...and how many people are that corrupt- that's what's scary about the world, and why people are locking themselves in their homes.
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spooka Lupa:
This is a bit long, but I highly recommend reading the Powerbook Prank. It's hilarious.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

This guy pranks the scammer and ends up making him pay a bunch of money for a piece of crap.

Lupa, that powerbook scam is great, I read it a few months ago, and everyone should have a look at it. On the same website they have a few stories similar to what I did with the Nigerian scammers, they write back with fake bank account details and really string them along.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love rading those scambaiter blogs. The one where the guy kept getting the scammer to drive to the airport to meet him was hilarious! Oops, I missed the flight and now I'm coming in to another airport 50 miles away with all the cash in hand - can you meet me again?
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading that site that bandit linked and it was hilarious (but loooooong). They sent a guy to Chad and baited him for months (I actually think they're still baiting him). They told him not to bring any changes of clothes since it should only take one day, so he's had the same outfit the whole time.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7408

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Roger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best thing to do is not even read them just delete them.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home