iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » The 2008 Olympics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The 2008 Olympics
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today is 8-8-08. This date has a personal profound impact on me...but today it is the kick off for the Olympics.

I just watched the opening ceremony. I never knew how amazing the opening ceremony of the Olympics was. I was stunned by what they did in China...and the magnatitude of how many people were there performing...and the synchronicity of everything...the choreography is amazing. It was breathtaking...I have never used that word to describe anything...but I was just in awe of what they did.

Did anyone else watch it?

China has so much symbolism for everything. And all the different things that they do for entertainment...like caligraphy and scrimshaws and kite making and thai chi ...I am so amazed when I see other countries and how hard they work.

I was listening to their top pop star sing with Sarah Brightman and they had their top pianist performing....in our country...who is our top pianist?? Do we even have one? They put so much emphasis on culture and even the hand guestures that the women are taught...is amazing...it is so different. It makes you think about your country...and I was thinking what are we leaving our children here...what different traditions do we have here that we are passing along...that teach children mannerisms and courtosey and the one word they used alot is "HOPE".

The holidays are really the only tradition that I know and pracitice. Does anyone have a hobby that was passed along to them by one of your ancestors?

It was extremely educational to watch it...they are still parading out all the countries that are there competing ....I heard names of countries that I never even knew existed, so it is pretty cool.

I was wondering if anyone else is going to be watching the Olympics?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I always watch it, it's always odd to see all the countries that you don't even know exist.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never get into the Olympics, but seeing that 08-08-08 brings back memories when it was 8-8-88. I remember I was 15 years old and seeing all the hype about it on TV. Wow.... 20 years ago seems like yesterday.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when my birthday was on 9-9-99...they were doing all kinds of stuff on TV that year because of the date-I know for sure the MTV Music Awards was held on that date ...that actually was the worst birthday I ever had...an I remember it very vividly.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Did you guys see this commercial???? They played it tonight during the Olympic ceremonies. Now this is a current commercial that I LOVE. I love the Rocky music....the beginning music is so awesome...whenever I hear that music it is so nostalgic to me....all the Budweiser commercial with the Clydesdales are cool. I was just at Busch Gardens, and saw these horses up close...that's where they live...they are so awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaewaVqre6o&feature=related

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution wrote:
quote:
I always watch it, it's always odd to see all the countries that you don't even know exist.
The United States of America? What's that? [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And at least they were willing to let the Iraqis come. Frankly, after decades of athletes having to follow Uday Hussein's Win-the-gold-or-lose-as-many-limbs-as-I-decide-is-fit policy, the matter of mere everyday corruption in their national Olympic committee (whose isn't, really?) seems rather trivial.

Back to last night, it certainly was a great opening. Lighting the cauldron was quite fabulous, tying Barcelona's flaming arrow lighting in my book (now if they'd brought in a dragon after his walk around the roof to help with the lighting, that would have made it perfect). Now let's see if the rest of the festivities are as grand.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odybtx
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7278

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for odybtx   Email odybtx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a cute commercial.
Posts: 12 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home