iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Favorite M. Night Shyamalan Movies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite M. Night Shyamalan Movies?
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what is your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie or movies?

My top one is definitely The Sixth Sense! I think it's one of my favorite movies of all time. I didn't get the plot twist until the end. I've spoken to some people who guessed it right away, but I didn't. It kept me hooked. Fantastic movie!

The Visit is second. It's one of my favorite M. Night Shyamalan movies. It kept me hooked until the end. Great movie!

Signs is third, I would say.

The Village is forth.

The Happening is fifth. But I did really like the movie.

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unbreakable and The Village are my faves [Smile]

Also like The Sixth Sense and The Visit.

Wasn't too keen on Signs or Lady In The Water and The Happening was just diabolical. This was the greatest thing to come out of that [Big Grin] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvmytj56Tck

I know he didn't direct it but I enjoyed Devil.

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Unbreakable and The Village are my faves [Smile]

Also like The Sixth Sense and The Visit.

Wasn't too keen on Signs or Lady In The Water and The Happening was just diabolical. This was the greatest thing to come out of that [Big Grin] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvmytj56Tck

I know he didn't direct it but I enjoyed Devil.

I haven't checked out Lady In The Water yet, but I plan on seeing it soon. [Smile]

I wasn't too keen on Unbreakable and After Earth, though.

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have big issues with Shyamalan as a filmmaker. But I guess Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are the ones I liked the most. I saw the twist in Sixth Sense coming a mile off, but it was still enjoyable.

I found The Village enjoyable too but thought the twist was silly. Signs started well but I hated the ending.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In ranking:
1. The Sixth Sense
2. Unbreakable
3. Signs
4. The Visit
5. The Village
6. Wide Awake
7. Lady in the Water
8. The Happening
9. After Earth
10. The Last Airbender

Posts: 4123 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, M. Night "Twist" Shyamalan.

I´ve only seen four films from him: The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The village.

All pretty good stuff actually but i´ve heard such bad things about the others so i haven´t bothered. Maybe someday.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Ah, M. Night "Twist" Shyamalan.

I´ve only seen four films from him: The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The village.

All pretty good stuff actually but i´ve heard such bad things about the others so i haven´t bothered. Maybe someday.

If you want to check out his other movies, then I recommend The Visit. The plot twist was good, but I didn't get a chance to work it out for myself. Since my friend saw it before me, she told me the plot twist. Still a good plot twist, though!
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Visit was awesome! Love The Village, Unbreakable, Sixth Sense too.....so many good ones.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, a lot has already been said on the brilliance of "The Sixth Sense", so I won't go over it again.

One of MNS's most underrated films was 2004's "The Village". Recently re-watched this for the first time since seeing it in the theatre 10 years ago. Like a lot of movies I revisit after many years, when I first saw it I hated it - however, this time I re-evaluated it, & now it's my favorite Shyamalan film. I guess I've become much more open-minded when it comes to film in the past ten-twelve years...

On my first viewing, I was extremely disappointed with the "twist" at the end. I felt that the idea of a community in the middle of the U.S. that was isolated & protected from overhead air traffic, other intruders, etc. to be completely unrealistic and unimaginative. However, during this second viewing I appreciated what Shyamalan was doing here - I saw those in the village as a much more extreme version of the Amish, who have rejected modern society/technology & chosen to live much more simply (the difference was that the elders' progeny in the film had no idea that there was an outside world, or what it was). And, it was inevitable that something would come up (in this case, an extreme medical emergency) that would force them to have to go to the outside world...

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like The Village at all. Just like The Sixth Sense, I actually guessed the big plot twist fairly soon into the film. It was just stupid, though not as stupid as his real howler The Happening, a movie that not only wastes Zoey Deschanel but has Mark Walhberg's worst performance. For those of us of a certain age, The Sixth Sense is way overrated. I had it pegged as an update of 1962's Carnival of Souls, but apparently since few have seen that film, Sense became a sensation, and old M. Night was touted as the next Spielberg. And therein M. Night had a self-fulfilling prophecy. His ego got so big that he figured that he could play out any trick on his audiences. I did like Unbreakable, my favorite of his films, and the underrated and woefully underseen Wide Awake is pretty good too. I haven't seen The Visit, but the rest of his films just stink, though Signs is pretty scary and compelling until the ludicrous ending.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did like "A Sixth Sense", and had no clue about the "twist" at the end the first time I saw the film, so I was genuinely surprised. I actually enjoyed the film even more on subsequent viewings, since I was able to make the connections more re: the BW character being dead well before the finale. I felt the film was very poignant, and was almost a metaphor for the grieving process that some people go through when loved ones die (i.e., BW's wife in the film) - or at least that's the way I interpreted this.

I did eventually see "Carnival of Souls" (1962) on the Criterion DVD around 2007-ish - for the first time - so, long after seeing "A Sixth Sense" around 2000-ish. Excellent film!

Note that "Carnival of Souls" seems to be based on the 1960 Twilight Zone episode "The Hitch-Hiker".

Re: M. Night's other films I've seen:

"The Happening" - hated this; I was expecting to see a great modern-day version of "Day of the Triffids", but instead this was an extremely weak P.O.S. Definitely one of the worst films I've ever seen.

"Signs" - mediocre film, but not as bad as "The Happening".

"Unbreakable" - excellent movie; it helps that I'm a huge comic book fan [Smile]

"Lady in the Water" - Decent film; I liked the fact that many of the characters in the apartment complex represented archetypes. I liked this movie a lot better than the film critics at the time it was released.

Note that M. Night did produce (but didn't direct) an excellent film called "Devil" - worth checking out.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home