iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » How I Got Into 80's Movies!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How I Got Into 80's Movies!
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've been asked a few times how I got into 80's movies! They wondered how me being so young can love 80's movies so much. I was asked this when I was fifteen but, I'm now sixteen as it was my birthday last Monday.

Here is the story:
I was 5 years old! I was in the living room of my parents house, I was playing with my toys like all five-year-olds do. Suddenly, I heard the television come on and I heard a mans voice coming from the television speaker. I looked up and saw a guy holding a cute, fluffy creature. I said to my mother "What's this?" and she replied "A film!" and I wondered what film it was. I hadn't seen many films at that point so I had no idea what film it was. I asked her what film it was, and she said it was called Gremlins and it was released in 1984. And after that I became obsessed with Gremlins, and my parents even brought me a little Mogwai toy. I watched it everyday after that, I thought it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen in my five years of existence.
After that I watched more 80's films, and just gradually became obsessed with everything 80's. So, it all started with Gremlins! And the first 80's actor I fell in love with was Zach Galligan who played Billy on Gremlins.

So, I've been a fan of 80's movies since I was five. [Smile]

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great to see younger people keeping these movies alive.

I was 3 in 1984 so I think it was one of the first movies I ever saw. I am still a fan of the movie. It's a classic. They really done a great job bringing those little green creatures to life. They are full of personality. I always loved Stripe.

Born in 81 I kinda grew up with 80's movies and went to the cinema a lot especially in the late 80's. The first movie I can remember seeing at the cinema was Teen Wolf in 1985 - I was like 3 or 4 and was making wolf noises throughout the movie.

I really started getting into 80's movies big time around 1993 when my brother and I went to live with my mum. We weren't allowed to watch much TV at my dads so when we went to stay with her is was just a free-for-all of 80's movies. We would go to the video store and get a deal of like 8 weekly movies for 10 bucks and stay up watching them one after the other. When we had watched the last one we would put the first one back on again. I always looked at what year movies were made and remember looking on the back of the VHS video The Breakfast Club and seeing that it was 1985 - I thought to myself at the time - that's 8 years old - that's ancient.

I have without a doubt seen Caddyshack more than any other movie.

Great topic BTW

Oh yeah, happy birthday [Smile]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, 80's movies are awesome!
They seem to be the type of movies I can really connect with. Some 90's movies are good, but 80's are better. Also, some movies of the 2000's are okay, but no way near as good as the 80's ones.

I just can't believe it took me till I was fifteen to watch The Breakfast Club. How did I not watch it before, and the amount of people telling me how good it is.

I've seen so many 80's movies I can't possibly name them all!

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure precisely what began my love for the 80's. Was probably quite natural for me with all the awesome 80's cartoons and TV shows I watched as a kiddie. And also the great 80's music I used to listen to on the radio or MTV. And also all those vinyl records my parents and my sister's used to have.

As far as a movie. One that really stands out for me is The Lost Boys. I was only about 6 years old, but I still remember when I first caught a glimpse of that movie, I was hooked. It happened when me and my family took a trip to a drive-in. I can't remember what we went there to see. All I know is during the movie my family was watching. I caught a glimpse of The Lost Boys playing on another screen behind us and I spent the whole time watching it without the sound.

[ 26. June 2015, 11:09: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
It's great to see younger people keeping these movies alive.

It sure is!! Chloe, do you think that 80s culture has recently become much more popular with your age group? It seems like it from the web and YouTube etc? How do your friends feel about the 80s?
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
Nick,

Well, in answer to your question I do think it's pretty popular with my age group. I'm currently sixteen-years-old and I know a few people my age who love the 1980's.
However, my closet friend isn't "obsessed" with the 1980's like I am.
I don't just love the movies, I also the music, culture, clothing and actors/actresses from that time.
Actually, my phone is filled with 1980's music, and I have barely any recent music on there. I have a whole 1980's movie collection, too.
But I do have a ten-year-old friend who loves 1980's movies.
However, many of the people who went to my school didn't care about the 1980's. I only know there are people out there like me.

My two biggest obsessions are the 1980's and 1990's.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most of the people who initially joined this site held the 80's to their heart, at least partly due to the navel-gazing 'poor me' misery fest that was the 90's, which seemed like a nasty comedown after the thrilling colourful anything-is-possible joygasm of the 80's.

It's worth pointing out - to someone as young as yourself - that for most of the 90's the 80's were considered *incredibly* uncool, and most average people would just trash the entire decade given half a chance (often throwing the baby out with the bathwater). Sites like this seemed like a breath of fresh air as the internet allowed for people who did like the 80's to congregate again. Also worth pointing out - the exact same thing happened in the 80's regarding the 70's. I said many many times in the 90's (when the 70's had become cool again) that given time the 80's - films, music, fashion - would also all be considered cool again. Needless to say nobody thought it was possible. Then again, people often struggle to see the big picture when social norms dictate they see something else.

quote:
Actually, my phone is filled with 1980's music
Even back when I registered on this site that statement would have made no sense. How fast technology moves, eh? Back when I was your age most of the girls I knew had half a dozen albums and that was it... the music may not be better now, but the ability to obtain it has vastly improved!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story Chloe...Gremlins is one of my favs!

In the early 80's I was 7yrs-11yrs old and we had the First Choice movie channel...I have such vivid memories of watching tons of great classics. The channel was famous for re-playing movies over and over and over (the reason my Dad finally axed it)...but...cause I was young and had no responsibilities...I would watch them over and over and over! Now that I have two young boys, I'm famous for collecting tons of 80's movies, but never having time to watch them! I figure when they get older or when I retire....I'll be full circle and will watch these 80's gems over and over and over again!!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that '80's nostalgia is alive and well for those who weren't even alive during that era. This just shows that the trends/movies/culture from that decade are actually timeless.

I think a lot of the '80's John Hughes movies especially transcend the decade in which they were produced/released. "The Breakfast Club" could probably be applied to any high school in any decade. Though, these days I'm sure the teacher/principal running a Saturday detention would need to confiscate everyone's I-phone's beforehand - LOL.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home