iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Resistance From VHS to DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Resistance From VHS to DVD
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took many years for me to finally convert to DVDs. When they first came out in like 98-99, I was like no way, I am sticking with my trusty Panasonic VHS video recorder. I don't think I even watched a DVD til about 2004 and after I did I saw how much better it was and reluctantly converted although I still have my video recorder. The first DVD I bought was Summer Rental and I believe the last video I watched on VHS was North Shore.

How long did it take you guys to convert from VHS to DVD or are some of you still stuck there? Also, what is the first DVD you watched/bought?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I held out till 2006, now own about 1000 lol [Smile]

I remember the first few things I bought were Labyrinth, The Karate Kid 4 pack and Interview With The Vampire.

I refuse to move on to Bluray. *Comes back to thread in 5 years saying I own hundreds of them* haha

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im trying to track down escape from new york on laser disc,

i wonder if they have the bloodsport soundtrack on eight track

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have "Escape from New York" on laser disc, GP. You want to make me an offer? [Smile] And while I don't have that "Bloodsport" soundtrack on 8-track, I do have a Pioneer 8-track recorder. Don't know where to find blank 8-track tapes though... LOL

I resisted being one of the first adopters of DVD because I liked laser discs so much, and I hated the idea of all that compression, pixilation, and degradation of the image for DVD. But my hand was forced for me as laser discs and VHS went the way of the dodo bird. I still have a bunch of lasers that I am never parting with (the Star Wars original trilogy box set, Dawn of the Dead box, etc.) It is nostalgic to see things in that format. Folks complain that the image is "soft" and more unforgiving of the special effects, but that's the way I remember seeing those things the first time around, much better than a lot of these digitally remastered DVD atrocities passed off as special editions (Yes, I am referring to you, "Warriors" special edition.)

First film bought on DVD: "Disturbing Behavior" (my Katie Holmes fixation of 1998).

I do have BluRay now but concede that apart from some stuff that I bought cheaply like "Bad Lieutenant," which I didn't previously have, I don't zealously collect them. I'm not enamored with the format and starting a new collection simply because I think DVDs and BluRays are going the way of audio CD's--everything will soon be mostly digital downloads and MP4's. (And I also have "Dawn of the Dead" in so many versions that I'll be darned if I'm buying it again in BluRay!)

***Comes back to thread in five years to laugh at Helen with her 500 BluRays in a now extinct, as of 2016, format*** ROFL

[ 02. November 2011, 21:05: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first film I bought on dvd was my favorite: Goodfellas. It is a two-sided disc. When I first put it in the dvd player,I had it on side two with Karen buzzing the superintendant of Henry's girlfriend's building, lol. And it was blaring loud too! I wanted to say "wtf!" but then I looked it over and figured it out. I wasn't the only airhead to do that- a guy friend of mine from work did the same thing, and we laughed our butts off about it.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah, btw, I still own three vcr's and two dvd players. One is a vhs/dvd combo, so I can record on either one. I refuse to rent a dvr from the cable company/ monopoly for $12 a month! Why can't they just sell me one? No way would they ever do that when they are out rooking most of their customers for that $12 a month. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but figure out what the cost is per year. It is ridiculous- I could use that money to save toward retirement or a nice vacation.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
***Comes back to thread in five years to laugh at Helen with her 500 BluRays in a now extinct, as of 2016, format*** ROFL

LMAO, you know it! [Mad] [Big Grin]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
The first film I bought on dvd was my favorite: Goodfellas. It is a two-sided disc. When I first put it in the dvd player,I had it on side two with Karen buzzing the superintendant of Henry's girlfriend's building, lol. And it was blaring loud too! I wanted to say "wtf!" but then I looked it over and figured it out. I wasn't the only airhead to do that- a guy friend of mine from work did the same thing, and we laughed our butts off about it.

lol [Big Grin] I have that 2 sider one as well. I still have a VCR too for the few vids I do have and for films I'd taped off the tele years ago. I don't know, there's still something magical plopping in a scratchy old vid of something I taped then and seeing how I sometimes missed chopping out the adverts haha
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh it is very magical with stuff taped off of TV on VHS. Those old ads, station IDs, bumpers... I always worried about throwing stuff on VHS away even after I had bought the DVD. What if my tape was the last one left in the world with a commercial for the Popeil Pocket Fisherman, circa 1980? I would be destroying part of history! LOL
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash, I here you about The Warriors. I had the original VHS and then got the DVD when it came out and then got that special edition with all cartoon fade ins and I simply could not watch it like that. It completely ruined it.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:

You have a whore living in your building. Rossi, Janet Rossi....Haha.

I think Goodfellas is one of the best movies ever made. I love it.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just some inside information about Helen in case anyone is interested:

Apparently she has Halloween 3 on laserdisc, Betamax, VHS, DVD, Blu Ray and even a dodgy bootleg cam job. She is now scouting a digital download for it [Razz]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought my first dvd player in 2003 i believe.
Never got rid of the VHS tapes and still love, buy and watch VHS movies all the time.

I have two Blu-ray movies but i´m in no hurry getting a Blu-ray player.

Laser disc was never big in Finland, sad but true.
I´d love to own some of those big shiny discs [Cool]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own a video combined with DVD player.
I received it in 2004.

I own far more videos than DVDs.

I haven't got any Blu-ray films and I'm in no hurry to purchase a Blu-ray player, either.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
The only reason I have a Blu-ray player is because I have a PS3 and they play Blu-rays. I have only got Dog Day Afternoon, An American Werewolf in London and Snowtown (Aussie flick) on Bluray.

I have lost pretty much all my videos over the years with countless times of moving.

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah, you have new york on laser disc, but do you have escape from new york the board game?
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I switched to dvd in late '99, and Driller Killer being the first movie i bought on dvd.
Over the years my collection grew to an insane
number which i don't even wanna say out loud.
At the beginning of 2011 i bought my first blu-ray player (region-free for both dvd as well as
for blu-ray).
Still there's no way i ever get rid of my video-recorders, although the amount of video-tapes
(mostly ex-rentals) has slimmed down in the past decade, simply because i don't have enough space to store them all.
I always had the impression that the images on any digital format could never surpass the
fluidly moving images from a videotape.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I bought my DVD player in 1999 also. I think it's fantastic for everything except recording. There is something to be said about how great it was to record movies on tape.

However, I will say that the movies and watching them on DVD it far superior, fast forwarding, rewinding, and the actual picture, I think I have enough movies and TV's shows to watch two movies for a year, and not repeat, forget about TV shows.

I have about 50 Blu ray movies, I have a hard time repeating on DVD, but only happens for a few movies that I either love OR have been made so long ago they aren't in widescreen.

Oh well, it's only money, you can't bring it with you when you die.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall the exact year I finally gave in...I think I was originally hoping for them to just go away. For me, I always really liked having everything in the same format, so the thought of starting to add DVDs to my wonderfully displayed VHS tapes...eeekkkkk! I was also getting serious about getting 80's movies on VHS, and specifically looked for original covers...the ones I remembered seeing in the video stores. Ultimately began to convert to DVD and literally gave almost every one of my VHS tapes to my mother in law...except the ones you couldn't get on DVD. When I go to my in law's house, I still glance at the VHS tapes and have to try really hard to not reclaim some of the 80's ones in particular. I still have a top loading VHS player for if I ever change my mind.

I did make the jump to Blu ray, however, only buy my favorite 80's movies on this format, and keep them seperate from my DVDs...and I only buy the Blu rays if they are cheap....$10 is usually my max.....although....I may soon shell out $17 for the Goonies on Blu ray! I have about 30 Blu rays at this point.

* I experienced literally the exact same process / feeling when starting to convert from cassette tape to CD...now here we are again with CDs neary extinct.....hard to keep ahead of the game....and very expensive!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1999, mainly to watch The Matrix which was my first DVD. Held onto some VHS tapes like the original Star Wars trilogy and The Steven Segal Action Set!
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Such lies Bernie! Only taped off of TV and DVD  -
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't show much resistance at all really.  -  -

I think my first DVD, was "The Matrix". After seeing that, I knew I wasn't going to continue buying VHS, unless I had too.

The only thing I miss from the VHS days was the trailer(s) at the beginning of each tape; I can still remember seeing the trailer for "Flesh Gordon 2: Flesh Meets The Cosmic Cheerleaders", for the first time. lol

quote:
I'm not enamored with the format and starting a new collection simply because I think DVDs and BluRays are going the way of audio CD's--everything will soon be mostly digital downloads and MP4's. (And I also have "Dawn of the Dead" in so many versions that I'll be darned if I'm buying it again in BluRay!)

I started ripping/converting VHS/DVD/Blu/CD to a Server many years ago. The HTPC in my living room connects to this -- makes for a much more convenient way to watch movies.

I know a lot of people like having their DVD/Blu boxes on show -- I have mine stored in the cupboard under the stairs.  -

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my first DVD player around 2001, I think. I was waiting for prices to go down some. The first DVDs I bought were Friday and Next Friday.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
I didn't show much resistance at all really.  -  -

I think my first DVD, was "The Matrix". After seeing that, I knew I wasn't going to continue buying VHS, unless I had too.

The only thing I miss from the VHS days was the trailer(s) at the beginning of each tape; I can still remember seeing the trailer for "Flesh Gordon 2: Flesh Meets The Cosmic Cheerleaders", for the first time. lol

quote:
I'm not enamored with the format and starting a new collection simply because I think DVDs and BluRays are going the way of audio CD's--everything will soon be mostly digital downloads and MP4's. (And I also have "Dawn of the Dead" in so many versions that I'll be darned if I'm buying it again in BluRay!)

I started ripping/converting VHS/DVD/Blu/CD to a Server many years ago. The HTPC in my living room connects to this -- makes for a much more convenient way to watch movies.

I know a lot of people like having their DVD/Blu boxes on show -- I have mine stored in the cupboard under the stairs.  -

It's a good way to do it ey. I have ripped all my stuff too and now I can just stream it to the media server on the PS3. So so cool. I recommend this to everyone.
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for evilash   Email evilash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We bought one for my dad back in 2003 for Christmas with a lonely Pirates of the Carribbean dvd. He loved it and switched quite quickly. I on the other hand, bought some great finds like PeeWee's Christmas Special and Dirty Dancing for 25 cents a piece and I'll be darned if I give up my DVD/VHS combo for anything.
Posts: 327 | From: Lebanon, OH | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home